Remote viewing systems

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 7, 2013.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :wave:Hey everyone, first post! Nice looking forum!

Getting back into management and deer hunting after taking a break from it for two years. I'm starting management on a decent sized ranch of 1500+ acres. I'm a farmer and have hunted and managed deer and gamebirds for most of my adult life.

Back when I was really active in management I ran twenty trail cameras on my own properties but the constant back and forth and managing them was time consuming and really invasive to the wildlife. I see there are some services that provide managing a camera via internet through cell phone service.

Does anyone here know anything about these services? I've found some pricing and whatnot but can't seem to find out about linking multiple cameras as a networked system. One or two cameras just won't cut it, don't mind expensive cameras but having to buy a seperate data plan for each would suck...any way around it?

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum. If I understand your question correctly, it sounds to me like the only thing that would meet your requirement is a Buckeye cam. I know you can run multiple cams and only have one receiver. They are pretty pricey though. Let us know if you come up with something else. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks very much I'll check out the buckeye cam.

I'm sure I will, looks like a great forum and BTW I appreaciate the fact you're a proud Christian.:hail:

4. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, the Buckeye cam seems perfect, except the price! I can start with a few and add additional ones a few at a time. These look awesome, thanks again!

5. Whitetail_Widowmaker

Whitetail_Widowmaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since your a member now...does that mean that we are invited to hunt your ranch in Kansas =D jk jk. Welcome to the forums Coveymaster looking forward to hearing from you more and the experience with management will be greatly welcomed as well.

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum.

7. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Glad to have you!

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, I appreaciate the welcomes!

I own some of the property (~350 acres) the rest is rental property that I crop but also manage for quail and deer and turkey (as a side product, lol). I have in total, 18 ponds (largest is 35 acres), 30 acres of duck/goose marsh, 702'ish acres of crop, 150 acres of Native CRP, 80 acres of buffer strips, 40 acres of additional food plots and the remaining balance in native timber and some old coal mined pits and mounds.
    My land I manage for immediate family usage and my rental ground is my personal access only besides the owner, his family and friends....so no, sorry.:violin:

I will be glad to share advice and experiences and pictures though! Maybe someday my landlord will give permission for me to invite a few friends per year as QDMA management tools though! You might have to settle for a 150" 8 point cull and a couple does.

9. Jabeaux

Jabeaux Newb

Dislikes Received:
    150" 8 point!! What a waste of time. Just joking

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    In the early 90's a 150" deer at all was considered a giant trophy here (and still is away from my managed deer) but you can see the progression on my wall over time as the average inches per capita increased from the 120's for a trophy buck to 130's, 140's etc...and along with spread and tine length also mass. It was really amazing to watch the results of decent management over the years. I maxed out with one that grossed 178 and change before I slacked off on management here over the last 3-4 years. Didn't take long to see a decline either. I have a lot of work to catch up on, I'd guess the average is back down to the 120-130 range again now and probably lower on the rental ground I never managed. There are some certifiable monsters around here still but they are the exception. I saw two three weeks ago that had nearly 150 inches of velvet....running side by side. But now there are a lot of spikes and forks and doe ratios are off.

11. massmam

massmam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum