Shed Hunting!

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by dawg007, Apr 20, 2013.

1. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is probably early but I want to plan ahead. I do not have any permission to go to any spots and was wondering one thing. Do any of you know where I can travel to to shed hunt for Moose and Elk sheds in one spot? I want to take a trip next year but have to plan ahead. What time would it be best for that spot also? Thanks.

2. rackstacker613

rackstacker613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    up here in Ontario, the mnr released elk about 10 yrs ago, and there is a decent population but most of the area here near Bancroft that you see them is private. theres also moose here, but as with the elk be prepared to put on a ton of kms. ive only found one moose shed and that was a lot of boot treads worn off.

3. Jerrysan97

Jerrysan97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am 15 and this year was my first time shed hunting. I didn't find any but I had fun. I was on public land. Does anyone normally find alot of sheds on public land? Where or what type of terrain should I look. Any help is appreciated.

4. breazyears

breazyears Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try and find where the deer are bedding. They wake up and often times shake like a dog, throwing antlers in the proses. Also any place that a deer may have to jump, like over a fence.
    Sheds are hard to see on the forest floor as they look very much like a stick. I have literally tripped over them without seeing them. Just keep your eyes peeled, and try not to focus on looking for a whole shed. Rather. Look for just a tine, or anything white.