Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Knife Type

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jag-mag, Jun 23, 2009.

1. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I own the same knife. It's a great little knife that is super sharp.

2. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buck 422, It's a 3" folder.

3. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spyderco "Bill Moran" drop point

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/32323-1.html

4. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite is the Kershaw Bear Hunter but for just deer hunting I'd go with the Antelope hunter:
    http://www.thekershawstore.com/Kershaw_Antelope_Hunter_II_Orange_Plain_Knife_p/k1028or.htm

I've used Bruce's choice (Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point) as well and it is an amazing knife. Very similar design to the Kershaw and better steel as well as slightly lighter (until you figure in the unwieldy sheath) but a bit more expensive.

5. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    same ole' 6in buck fixed blade i've ever used

6. sdbirddog

sdbirddog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i use a buck 119 fixed blade 6" of blade. Also i will bring a hammer just in case my knife is not sharp enough.

7. GuessWho

GuessWho Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe this is why I never get a Bear, you need a lucky "Bear knife"...:deer:

Love the avatar - dude!

8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I found some pics of the knives that my brother makes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gplant

gplant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    VERY NICE!!! Does he sell them?

10. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Greg, very very cool in my book. PM me if it's possible to purchase one. I'd be interested in testing one out.

I've had this knife for two seasons, never sharpened. Factory edge is still on it and I've: gutted 3 deer, sawed threw tree branches, cut through bone, cardboard, steel bands, and a million other things. I like the serrated edge because you never know when you'll need to saw. I prefer the smaller folding because I can take it anywhere. You guys that use the 6" blades are crazy in my book. The only thing I dislike about this knife is the airation in the blade. I wanted this exact knife, but in a full blade. The holes tend to make it a pain to clean, but you can't beat the durability.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20891&id=0062984590645a&navCount=1&podId=0062984&parentId=cat20891&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I use to be hard core Gerber. I had two of these knives and they went the 2nd longest of any of my knives.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20891&id=0066680518949a&navCount=3&podId=0066680&parentId=cat20891&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I got away from them because I chipped the titanium off both of my blades, which is not acceptable, because I'll often use this to cut food I'm eating in random places. Now I stick to pure stainless steel. The holes in the handles made it easy to clean the blade after each use, but got it dirtier a lot faster.

11. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Greg, very very cool in my book. PM me if it's possible to purchase one. I'd be interested in testing one out.

12. Lifesadrag

Lifesadrag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's what I use. It's a homemade knife I found while hunting about 15yrs. ago. Perfect size and holds an edge like nobodys buisiness!

[​IMG]

13. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buck Alpha Hunter

14. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    those are some beautiful knives Greg... just effin beautiful

15. Rut Junkie

Rut Junkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you are going to carry a knife in the field on your hip or in a pack, you should only use a folding knife. Fixed blade knife are dangerous if you fall. I have seen very sharp knifes cut through a sheath to make a very bad cut in the body. I had a friend that missed the last step on a later stand and fell back on his butt. He had a fanny pack on and the knife cut through the sheath pack and stuck him in the butt all the way t to the hip….Ouch…..You never have the chance of doing this with a folding blade knife.

16. jag-mag

jag-mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My grandpa told me folding knifes are to be put in the pocket and are for small jobs, stripping wire ,tightening loose screws, cleaning rabbits and birds. cleaning and gutting such animals as deer,elk ,bear you need a man knife.
    Hence a fixed blade with a 6 " blade.

17. gunnar

gunnar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Gmmat and GregH AWESOME knives! I'm going to try the swing blade this year. I haven't been happy with the last few knives i've had. Gmmat did you buy that at a show? I live in PA and am interested in owning a knife like that. I couldn't find a website for that knife maker. Also, do you know if he would be at the PA bowhunters fesitval in forkesville, Pa ?