Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

When does it really start kicking in for you?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NY Bowhunter, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you made this post... or I saw it. Either way, I came here tonight with the intent of making a thread detailing about how "it" hit me today hard. Thanks for saving me the typing. ;) :d

2. jag-mag

jag-mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    NY just reading your post my heart beat is going up, I'm off next week and I will be moving stands triming lanes scouting even though I have been hunting these woods for 20 yrs, I don't care how hot it is or how muggy it is
    I will be out there, getting the fever BAD.

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It hit me hard this week ...... I just made my last little bit o' venison .....it was at the bottom of the freezer .... jerky:deer: Yum Yum!

This year has been the earliest for me ..,.. due to the 9 weeks of vacation I now get :d

4. gplant

gplant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When it gets hot out-NOW!!!! I hate it when it gets hot and that's when I think of sitting in my tree on a cool Oct Morning. When Sept comes around it seems like time slows down and that drives me nuts!

5. BowtechHunting

BowtechHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The madness for me started about a couple of weeks ago. I started shooting my bow early in the morning, to beat the heat, and I was automatically reverted back to getting up early and make the track to the woods. Then I began picking up new books, looking over my topos, talking to my bro and buddies about getting in their and scouting for new spots...man I CANT'T WAIT!!!!

It has officially started for me, it's all I think about right now.
    Just getting back home in September can not get here quick enough to get started!:deer:

6. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find it difficult to think about hunting when it's 100 degrees outside, therefore, it won't really start kicking in until August, which is still excruciatingly hot, but by then it's by necessity, meaning I do not want to go out in the 100 degree heat, but I know it will pay off in few months.

7. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    It never really ends for me just ask my wife.
    2nd thought dont ask her and hands off.

8. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All the time. I just built a heater body suit and it is a heat index of 100 degrees outside.

9. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I start to really gear up for bow season around the start of August.

10. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL, Tony!

Starting to see some deer out in the bean fields during the day driving around... I think I'm about to head back downstairs and put one of my new bowhunting DVDs in... Yep, it's kicking in! :beer:

11. ldawg

ldawg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mid to late June for me. I think it has something to do with the summer solstice and the days starting to get shorter. Time really does fly the older I get. When I was in my early 20's it took forever for hunting season to come around. Now,(age 35) I never have quite enough time to get everything I want to accomplish finished. :bash: What the heck!

12. bowmanaj

bowmanaj Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me, it was this spring during turkey season when I had a couple does walk past me at 15 yards. I almost forgot what animal I was hunting :d

As far as starting the work/fun in preparing for bow season, I started getting new stand sites ready in late February while shed hunting. I stayed busy at the farm all spring and look forward to getting a lot more done this summer. My huge list of things I want to get done at the farm is kind of unrealistic. My chainsaw and I can only get so much done in a day :cry:

Like others have said, it really never ends, but I wouldn't have it any other way.