Release advise

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by indianagirl123, Jul 18, 2013.

1. indianagirl123

indianagirl123 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking for a release but not sure what to get. I am thinking of a Tru ball Cyclone or a Tru ball short n sweet release. Has anyone had this release and what do you think about it:confused:? Also if their are other releases you would recommended please tell me about them. Thank you

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never used a TruBall, but the Short n Sweet look a lot like the Tru Fire Hardcore for about half the price. Seems like a lot of folks on here use the TruBalls, so they're probably fine.

You really can't go wrong with any TruFire or Scott, but they're pricey. Whatever you decide, I do suggest that you go with a stap/buckle system over velcro- there's the noise factor; and also if you shoot a lot the velcro will wear out in 2-3 seasons, maybe even sooner.

3. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the noise factor but as far as the Velcro wearing out, I disagree. I've got a 10-year old TruBall Stinger with a Velcro buckle that shows no signs of wear on the Velcro. I don't shoot every day of the year but it's seen at least 4 full hunting seasons and countless shooting sessions over the year.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was basing my comment on my experience with velcro in general- maybe TruBall uses a better-grade velcro than the stuff on my ballistic vest. I wear through those panels about every 6-12 months.

Something else to consider with velcro is somehow, someway those g%#*^!@ed little burr balls seem to find their way into it every time, and it's dang near impossible to get them out.

5. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah you probably put more wear on a vest than a release anyway, on and off every day right?

Yeah those damn burrs are the worst. Its especially bad when you're wearing fleece pants and pick them up. So difficult to remove.

6. jcartwright

jcartwright Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take your bow to a shop and try them out, best way to figure out the best one for you. That's what we did when I got my bow and release and soooo glad we did.

7. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Scott archery little goose release

8. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Bingo!!!

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Where at in Indiana do you live?

As far as releases, I have a tru-fire with the fold back. The fold back is an awesome feature. I also have a hardcore 4 thumb release. That one was very pricey but it's the only thumb release that was comfortable for me.

No matter what, I would suggest buckle if you're going that route. A good shop should let you try some out.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  10. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a buckle release and the reason I think it has an advantage over Velcro is because, like a belt, it will fit the exact same on your wrist every single time and we all know consistency is key!

11. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and I also have a Scott Little Goose and would definitely recommend it!

12. spoonie08

spoonie08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got an old fletch-hunter release, Im guessing 10+ years old, and the velcro still holds just fine. I currently shoot a Tru-Fire hardcore and it is a great release

13. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If ya get the chance, try a hook style release. I had a caliper style (Scott Little goose) and went to a hook (Scott Silverhorn).
    Can connect it up to my loop by feel only.
    I also like the Strap type connector between the release and the wrist strap, makes it infinitely adjustable.

14. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot a TRU Ball short and sweet for several years now. Try several and see how they feel. I prefer a buckle over the velcro due to punching myself in the face one day when the velcro let go while I was drawing my bow. When I felt the impact, I decided that I didn't want to do that any more.

15. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have a velcro buy am thinking of moving to a buckle. My thinking is that the fit will be more consistent every time i put it on, causing my anchor point to be more consistent.

16. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a Trufire Hardcore two days ago, which is a hook style like JJD mentioned. I had a 10 year old caliper release that my neighbor had given me and I like the hook so far. This one is also the buckle style which IMO is better than the Velcro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

17. beaubowhunter

beaubowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally shoot the TRU Ball Short-n-Sweet and have for a couple of years now. It is my tried and true release. When my handles seem to not be shooting well for me some days, I can always count on my Short-n-Sweet and it stays in my pack for every hunt and every time I shoot. You really can't go wrong with either release, but IMO the Short-n-Sweet takes the cake. I like the hook style wrist releases over the caliper style heads and the adjustability it has is limitless. You won't be disappointed with it. Hope you find what you are looking for. Good shooting!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

www.truball.com

18. bomber24

bomber24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the short and sweet and it gets the job done....i like it because its easy to hook on as jjd said. I have yet to ever have a problem with it and i have had it for a couple years now. Its the Velcro type but im thinking about switching to a buckle nothing is wrong with it but as others have said i feel like it changes my anchor point whenever i put it on.

19. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just checked out the Hardcore on Trufire's site. Looks pretty nice. Tell me, does the head rotate as well as swivel?

20. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went from a True Fire X caliper that I bought at Walmart years ago to a Scott Wolf release. My groups have tightened up considerably. The trigger pull was terrible on the True Fire the Scott has almost zero travel and is very adjustable. Best upgrade I have made in my archery set up.