Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

100 yards is in bow range?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by LittleChief, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Jofes

Jofes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i feal that 30 yrds is a strech for my ablilty so i am simply amaized at ppl who shoot targets past 50 lol

2. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To each their own but that's not in my comfort zone. Ive seen some great shots made in person (60-70 yards), and I've seen some HORRIBLE 15-20 yard shots made..... it all boils down to the hunter but I still don't like seeing these kind of shot attempts.

3. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    200 plus years ago people where shooting bows 20 plus yards. They say shooting a flint lock rifle was a challenge at 40 yards. Modern bows are more than capable of shooting 100 yards plus. The people shooting them is really what we are talking about. How many people do you know that own a big dollar rifle with a top of the line scope that just go out hunting year after year without ever firing one practice shot? Same thing with bows. The people that don't practice are the problem. Now I wouldn't take a shot at 70 yards in the wind and the rain but if everything was right I wouldn't think twice.

4. JamesxCreedx

JamesxCreedx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would never take a shot at 100 yards on a deer. People taking these shots have no respect for the animals and shouldnt be hunting. Im more than confident I could put a arrow on a deer at 100 but its not reasonable to think your going to bring it down.

5. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry James but I have to disagree with you. You can't make such a statement when you don't know. You can't make a conclusion based on a yardage. There are more variables. Draw weight, length, arrow speed, weight etc.

I can tell you at 84 yards I went right through the buck and the arrow was about 24" deep in the ground. But my bow is 70lbs 338ibo, I draw it 31" and my arrow is over 440 grains. My arrows leave the bow with over 95ftlbs of ke. At 100 yards I don't have the math but I would easily say its well over 50ft lbs. some people's bows back in the day didnt even release 50 lbs. let alone after some yardage.

Question here is the shooter not the equipment. Wisbh said it right. People thought shooting a rifle 40 yards was crazy. Now any average joe can shoot 400 all day long.

6. JamesxCreedx

JamesxCreedx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree is not the equiptment as much as the shooter, and I know every situation is different from shooting through wooded enviroment or a open field. I just couldnt imagine letting an arrow go at 100 yards.

7. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Modern archery equipment is definitely capable of 100 yard kills, the person shooting said equipment may not be capable however. I myself wouldn't feel comfortable in MY ability at 100, but would have no problem taking a 70 yard shot under the right conditions. I do practice on a regular basis out to 100 yards, 70 is just my max kill range and that would have to be a perfect scenario.

8. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Be honest, 150 plus toad on your place, perfect scenario? Taking the risk? Not. I passed a nice 162 net( I scored it later) at 54 yards for a 45 second shot. Did not take it as I knew he was living in a 15 acre section.

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i personally would never take a shot over 30 yards on a deer, i know my limitations. i feel taking a 100 yard shot on an animal is totally unethical and there is a huge chance of wounding the deer.

10. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im really surprised at the people that practice out to 100 yards? i still think for the right hunter who has trained for that long of a shot and it the right condition that it is a ethical shot. and they still have respect for the animal but i just dont see why some of you are thinkin so negative about it. the farthest i shoot is 50 yards (5 pin sight) will i take a deer at that far, is the wind calm? is there absolutely nothing in my shooting lane? is the deer jumpy? there are so many factors and if the answers all line up why not let it fly?

11. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol! And people call themselves bow hunters shooting at these long ranges. Get a gun, this Isn't target practice. Bow hunting use to be a hunting sport, now It's turning Into a shooting sport.

Chief, no way any arrow carries that same speed to 100 yards. I'm not sure on the seconds but It's no way one second like was said. Your 3 seconds Is probably closer.

12. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so pick your caliber.... longest distance @ 5 inches? Mine is a .308 600 yards@ 2 minutes. or my Pse @ 60 yards, same.

13. Arkman

Arkman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt read every post but imo one of the main goals in bowhunting is to get close to the animal. Shooting much past 40 yards or so would be more like archery than bowhunting.

But thats just me.

14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The average speed at 100 yards is right about 270 fps when fired at 300 fps at bow. Terminal velocity at 100 yards is right around 240 fps. That will be just over 1 second.

The arrow would have to average 100 fps to take 3 seconds to reach target at 100 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  15. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya you guys are high. Or have never shot a bow more then 30lbs if it takes 3 seconds. Tfox that sounds about right. If its even 230 fps which I'm sure is too low compared to what it actually is. With a 440 grain arrow that's 51ft lbs of force. Like I said before guys shooting recurves, or Indians who used a branch and some homemade string had half of that coming out of the bow.

Just another case of people who can't, complain. Like baiting is wrong too right it's not "real" hunting. Well what else is not real hunters??? Can you make a list for me because I really want to be accepted as a real hunter. I shouldn't shoot a distance I'm capable of, I shouldn't put out apples. But it's totally ok to plant crops??? Or not that either. But it's ok to use modern bows shooting 300fps, with 5 pins that light up at night. Rangefinders and scent blocking clothes.

The thread was discussing if guys can of would shoot those distances. Some guys say no they wouldn't, and some say they would. That's fair. But don't insult guys and question there "real" hunter ness.

16. Arkman

Arkman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So do you try to see how close you can get to an animal and shoot it or how far away you can get and shoot it?

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "I" try to kill an animal. I don't care what the distance is. I don't hunt to see how close I can get. I hunt to kill.

Sometimes I choose to watch instead but how close the shot was has no bearing on what "I" call success.

I've already stated that 100 on a whitetail isn't something I would do. Other game, maybe, if I were setup for it.

We all hunt for different reasons, try not to impose your "ethics"on someone else.

I assure you that you wouldn't want me imposing mine.:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

18. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    100 yds ? I know people that would do it , but I don't agree with it. If they can make that shot good for them. Under perfect conditions on a field edge I would take a 50 yd shot. When I let an arrow go I don't wanna track a deer for 8 hrs I wanna watch it do the death roll inside 100 yds. Almost all my stands are in the woods I try to hang them 20 yds off a trail. I really don't see the need for a 100 yd bow kill the point is to get close.

19. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    who said the point of bow hunting was to get close? thats not the reason i started bow hunting? i done it for a challenge. somthing to test my skills and for most a 20 yard broadside shot is a challenge but some need more than that.

20. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I said it, it's my opinion deal with it. I am not trying to tell you how to hunt.