Muddy Sticks vs. Muddy Hunter Sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Dunn County, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am purchasing another set of sticks to go with the new Vantage set-up for muddy and the super mount in hopes to remain more mobil this year then ever. My question is what set of muddy's product line should I get?

I typically sit about 20ft, but will range from 15 to 25 typically depending upon set/terrain. That being said, I want to be able to comfortably get to those heights (Can you buy single hunter sticks?). Any experience these (comparing), testing, and overall feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Muddy Stick:
    Sticks - Climbing Sticks - Muddy Companies

Hunter Stick:
    Sticks - Outfitter Sticks 3-pack - Muddy Companies

2. duckbuster1484

duckbuster1484 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would contact Muddy directly to inquire about the purchase of a single stick. I, as well as some of my friends have always had positive experiences dealing Muddy in the past. If money things work out, I plan on buying a set of the new 32" hunter sticks this year.

3. Dunn County

Dislikes Received:
  4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the function of the regular sticks better by just looks. The hunters are alot cheaper though. Tough decision. Im in the process of deciding whether to by the muddy vantage or the lone wolf alpha. I hate deciding.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. vitalzone

vitalzone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up the vantage. Set it up to try it out and it seems real nice. Went up easy and quick and is really light and I like the mounting system. Waiting to find the climbing sticks at a good price.

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the climbing sticks and love them. I purchased the extra stick through amazon.com and it was very cheap. I can be almost 20 feet in a tree, but I like the stand to be slightly below the top of the top stick.

You have to remember that those sticks work as a system with the rest of the muddy gear. You can attach them to your harness so as you climb they are on your sides.

How I do it:

Put the first stick on the tree, kind of high up.
    Attach my pull string to my harness that has all my gear on it.
    Attach my pull string that has my stand on it.
    Attach the sticks to my harness

Next I start climbing. I get up on the first stick and attach the second. Then the other 2 sticks are on my side so I can attach them as I go. When I get to the top, I pull my stand up, attach it (REALLY excited about retrofitting my stand with the super mount). After the stand is secure I climb up, attach my harness to the tree and pull my gear up.

The whole process only takes minutes after practice and the super mount should cut that well down. The linesman rope is key as it allows you to use both hands.

Be safe

7. Dunn County

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciating this guys! Would the Hunter sticks also work together with the rest of the muddy system too?

8. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot muddy an email and ask them. Also, check their website for videos on how the stuff works and how it works together.
    I can't answer your question but their customer service is awesome. (I had a question on the super mount, sent them a question at 9:00 on Sunday through their website and got a response at 10:15 Sunday night!)

9. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Outfitter Sticks and the Climbing Sticks. i use the Outfitter sticks for my permanent stand and use the climbing sticks (5 of them) and the BloodSport Stand for my mobile set up. The Outfitter sticks come in a 3 pack and I bought 3 sets and use 5 in one set up and 4 in the other set up. If you are looking to go mobile I would recommend the 4 pack of climbing sticks and maybe the extra stick.

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    OP-

you actually linked to the "Outfitter" stick set rather than the "Hunter." The Outfitter model is steel and therefore much heavier (altho even cheaper.)

The Hunter model is new for 2013, but my understanding is that the Hunter and the regular "old" Climbing Sticks will work together as a packable system with Muddy stands. The Hunter's double sided steps are fixed, rather than foldable as in the older model Muddy Sticks. Basically, the new Hunter model is basically a fixed double-sided version of the Lone Wolf sticks. They're the same height as LW. They use a nearly identical strap system as the LW, whereas the old model Muddy Sticks use that cam-rope system. The only difference b/t the LW and the new Muddy Hunters are Muddy's are double sided and they are designed as part of the Muddy system.

Most of the guys who choose the old Muddy Sticks over LW do so for one or two reasons - they either prefer the rope lock system over the buckle strap, or they prefer the double sided steps over the single side step (or prefer both of those features.)

I have yet to find single Muddy Hunter steps for sale. However, you can find single Climbing sticks for sale all over for like $50-60. So, you could buy a 3-pack set of the Hunters for appx. $120, then buy a single Climbing Stick for $50, and you now have a packable system that will get you anywhere up to 16-18' or so, and anywhere in between, for the same price as 4 Climbing sticks which will only get you up to 12-14' max. To get higher than 14' with just the Sticks, you would have to buy 5, which is going to cost you around $220.

You could possibly lose a little bit of tree choice versatility by buying 3 Hunters + 1 Climbing Stick rather than buying 4-5 short Climbing sticks, but that would take a nasty gnarly tree. You wouldn't be sacrificing weight or height, and you would save about $60 in the process.

11. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Neither, get LW - MADE IN THE USA!!!