Hunting Maine

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ohiohunter, Jul 7, 2013.

1. ohiohunter

ohiohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting Ohio for my whole life, however I am moving to Maine for dental school this August. Does anyone have any experience hunting there, or know anyone else who has?

2. Acts of the wolf

Acts of the wolf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted there and live and hunt only a mile or so from the border. It's definitely not Ohio. lol. Where are you moving to in Maine?

3. Edcyclopedia

Edcyclopedia Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted in Maine my whole life, the herd isn't great right now but I think it's getting better. It can be pretty rough sometimes. Good luck!

5. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A guy I work with goes up to Maine to hunt every year. He never comes back with anything other than a few good stories. I've been to Maine a number of times for fishing trips and family reunions near the east branch of the penobscot river and have seen deer before. I think that successfully hunting up there depends on your location. The deer population is spread pretty thin in areas, and there's more wilderness than you can imagine so locating them might be a challenge. A family friend showed me some pics of some 160+ inch bucks on his property, so they definitely exist up there.

6. LizzidGizzid

LizzidGizzid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Maine...been to Ohio...it's tough hunting here. I'll send you a PM sometime and give you some info....

7. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of my friends live in Maine and have had a rough 2 years. Not to say they are not there but its not as easy as it use to be.

8. ohiohunter

ohiohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I will be at UNE in Portland. From what I understand the better deer hunting areas are right around where I am at. I saw a deer density map and it was the most dense in the areas surrounding portland. I have heard horror stories about the lack of deer up in the northern parts of the state though. I am happy because the terrain doesnt seem TOO mountainous like it is in PA....I just hope I can fill a few tags throughout my time there to keep my blood pumping, im not even looking for booners, just something!