From duck hunting to deer hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ddiscon1015, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ddiscon1015

Ddiscon1015 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Am I the only one who before deer hunting was strictly duck hunting only
    But ever since I shot my firs buck I don't ever want to go back duck hunting

2. stevietangles

stevietangles Newb

Dislikes Received:
    live to hunt ducks.
    they offer the longest season for me and nothing beats having a blast with good friends.

i love shooting deer but it isnt as action packed as duck hunting.

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just started duck hunting last season and absolutely can't wait for this upcoming season. Now that I know a lot more aobut what I'm doing I can slide in before before work and hopefully put a couple in the water before hitting the office.

4. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    See all my deer spots are evening hunts. So every morning I'm in the duck blind. Evenings on the treestand. Fall only comes once a year. Enjoy it.

5. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only duck hunted before I deer hunted...seriously deer hunted, anyways. I started bow and duck hunting when I was 12 but played football so I could only deer hunt once a week. Once I got to high school we had 2-a-days on saturdays, too so I couldn't bow hunt at all in the fall. I took to duck hunting because its more exciting for a kid and I was able to hunt more often in the winter after the football season had ended. Then I went to college so it was tough to hunt AT ALL. Now I'm a career firefighter so my schedule lets me hunt very often. When I got my job 3 years ago was when I really started deer hunting. Now I love being in a tree stand just as much as sitting in the duck blind.

6. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill take a good day of layin into some ducks or geese with my bros over hangin on the side of a tree anyday. Marsh water runs through my veins, I live for duck season.

7. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a serious goose hunter. Most of the time I rush through deer season to get the best of goose season. I hunt ducks too, but have been loosing a lot of habitat lately. I mostly deer hunt just for the meat. I really enjoy deer meat. And I bow hunt deer just to give them a fighting chance. I really dont understand why people have a hard time killing deer with a rifle.

8. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I duck hunt in the morning and sit for deer in the afternoon but if I had to pick just one it would be duck hunting hands down

9. Copper dog

Copper dog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted ducks for the last 12 years and its my passion. The tree stand normally takes the back seat to the duck boat.

10. Ddiscon1015

Ddiscon1015 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would much rather sit in ader stand them kneel in marsh grass trus me I have had m share of chasing greenies

11. cwoods

cwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    buck over ducks any day that ends in y.

12. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to kill some wood ducks in September, but our season is short and the area of KY I live in is pretty poor for ducks. We might get one or two good pushes in late season.

13. 556duckvader

556duckvader Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love me some good duck and goose hunting but like Parker70 says in Kentucky it can be difficult some days to scratch a limit out. I still love some teal and wood duck on the grill. I also like the early goose season and whacking some dumb local geese in shorts and flip flops:D

14. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This! Nothing beats waterfowl hunting.

15. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a real noob when it comes to this. Maybe we should start a thread for duck / geese hunting. I think I have pretty much everything I need. Also a good place that I don't need a boat or a dog. Only problem is that it's public land. I'm still looking for some private land.

16. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started deer hunting before duck hunting. Deer season is still my number one favorite, but part of me hopes for some early season success to spend more time in the duck blind this fall. My duck seasons usually start as soon as I put some venison in the freezer, whenever that may be

17. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My fall and early winter is packed with hunting. But I live to sit in a stand from dawn till dusk. But I love sitting in the middle of the marsh in the duck boat. I will hunt a morning deer hunt then walk back to the house grab the shotgun and go shoot any ducks flying down the river. I do love Wisconsin early goose hunt. It the first hunting I do for the year.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  18. MNp&y

MNp&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to enjoy duck and goose hunting a lot until I shot my first nice buck. The adrenalin rush I got from that overwhelms shooting my limit of honkers or greenheads anyday. Every time I shoot a deer I have to sit down because I start shaking so bad from adrenaline and I've never once had that from duck hunting.

19. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love sitting in a tree all alone.

But in general, I would opt to shoot ducks over sitting in a tree. I prefer a morning of commaraderie, coffee, and shooting lots of shells (i.e. action).

Fortunately like someone else said, i can hunt ducks in the morn and bucks in the eve.

20. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i love to deer hunt and my dad loves to duck hunt so we kinda go our seperate ways in the fall but we will both sit in a duck blind a few days out of the year ;)