Did I go overboard?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buttonbuckmaster, Jun 25, 2013.

1. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Thats the only part I feel the slightest bit bad about. The kids at this place are raised like animals. Moms drunk all the time, dad is not in the picture. The kids are kind of forced to fend for themselves. Not a good situation, but after years of dealing with these kids, its also not my problem that their home life is ****. What is my concern is the fact that this punk kid could have seriously hurt or killed someone by throwing a brick at a moving car. I've dealt with the kids from that house tresspassing on my property, their pit bulls, constant screaming and fighting, on and on and on. Last night was the final straw. Like I said, he will either not bother me again, or step up his game in being a deliquent. Time will tell.

2. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As Phil Robertson put it, "too many kids these days are raised by electronics and not the parents". Whatever happened to good family time rather than "here's an xbox, go play and leave me alone". I guess that's one reason I really enjoy Duck Dynasty, seeing the get together for supper at the end of the show with Phil saying a prayer. I guess it's sad or funny that it has taken the show and reading Phil's book to make me start seeking out my faith again. It's just unfortunate that a majority of society is too busy to spend valuable time teaching their kids morals and values. And yup, sometimes a kid just needs a good old fashion butt whipping when they act up!

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You shouldn't feel the least bit bad. They have to learn from their mistakes. But he should definitely have enough sense to know better at that age. If he were a lot younger I could see maybe feeling a bit bad for him. At 16-18 years old he needs a SERIOUS kick in the a$$ if he's still pulling those kind of stunts.

At 18 years old he's past the point of being a delinquent and graduated to criminal doing those type of things.

4. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Yep exactly what I was saying. Thanks for wording it better than I could. Haha.

I really like the show for the same things. I want to read Phil's book. I've heard its really good.

5. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With out a clear picture of your girl friend I'm going to have to with hold judgment.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only reason some people are still alive is because it's illegal to kill them. Let's just hope he doesn't breed.

7. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

It's definitely worth the read.

8. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL :lol:

9. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup Remyngton it's a great read, never realized Phil was headed down a road that bad back in the day. Great to see how he turned himself around and how he raised his kids. I didn't realize it but Willie, Jase and their older brother Allen are all ordained ministers. Even Jep had problems and the family basically held an intervention, Phil told him he had two choices...give up the wildlife and basically be on lockdown at home or get out.

10. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may have saved his life. The next guy might have shot him. I seem to remember a story not too long ago about a kid getting shot for throwing eggs at cars.

11. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my kids threatened to call the police once, I handed them the phone then proceeded to use a leather belt on their backside. When done I told them they now had something to show them when the get here. They never called and didn't bother with the threat next time they got in trouble.

12. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff!!! Too many parents nowadays don't have the stones to be that way. And how's that saying go "give them an inch" :)

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That happened to me growing up, me and some cousins were at grandparents and one my cousins was beimg a smart a$$ to my grandma so she was correcting his actions, I learned long ago not to mess with her, and he threatemed to call cops. She said go ahead I still got a good 30 or 45 mins before they get here. The call never got made.

As far as the op, I see nothing wrong with what you did. Sounds like the parents won't so you might as well help them out. I never got spared growing up and that's what some of these kids need now a days. Its amazing to me how little respect some of these younger people and kids have for anything anymore. What makes it worse is I'm only 29 so I can imagine the way some of you guys feel ha

14. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work. You probably handled it better than I would've. I most likely would've grabbed the brick, chased him, and threw it at his head. Hopefully the little ba$tard learned a lesson.

15. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you went overboard. Placing your hands on him would have been overboard. I would have felt like doing the same. The sad thing is though, most children growing up in households such as your neighbors are surrounded by violence. A different approach is needed most of time to get through to people in that situation. Although it made you feel better, screaming at him might not change anything. Offering to take the kid fishing and leading by example would have more of an effect. But that's also the last thing on my mind when someone really pisses me off.

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yo Davey! You want I should call Uncle Tootch??? Heel take ca a everythin ....

17. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He's lucky you didn't call the cops, he can get some serious trouble for that. That punk could really hurt somebody doing that!

18. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You did fine.

At about 20 years old I was jogging through my neighborhood late at night when some kids around my age shined one of those laser lights in my eyes and began laughing. I circled around on those dudes and jumped up on their porch from the darkness. They about pissed their pants.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Throwing a brick at someone/thing is at minimum a class 6 felony here in Virginia even if it doesn't hit that person/thing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  20. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i wouldnt call it over board. A kid i went to high school with was egging cars, a guy got out and shot him in the back of the head on the side of the road and drove away.