crossbow help to choose

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Dima, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Dima

Dima Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello hunters.
    Foreword :)
    About one year ago I faced that forum in the internet and since that time I have found a lot of useful information here. Thanks a lot. Yours advises and help let me get my first bow, bear legion; it is really nice, well done and perfectly balanced. Shooting with it is truly fine, interesting and complicated as well. First being quite a strong person I could hardly pull the bow more than 10 times without a pause for rest, now I shot easily 60# bow. But still my results are far from being ideal… Usually i get an A4 office paper at 30-40 meters. Is it enough for hunting or not? (In sport archery school where I sometimes go many does it better but they are sportsmen…)
    I have been thinking a lot about getting a crossbow for rest and hunting.
    So I would be very glad if you help me to handle this problem.
    First as far as I understand one have to choose the model compound or recurve.
    + according to my imagination :)
    Compound +
    No need to take the off the string after use
    No need to use special equipment to pull it and there is no such problem as skewness of a string as it is in the recurve
    Recurve +
    Easy to maintain
    There are no cams so rust or ice is not important
    The other problem I need so solve is our local law. It said that it is prohibited to carry the crossbow in the city or in public transport with attached limbs if they are more than 60 pounds (approx). So in the field or in the shooting gallery I have to place the limbs back and after replace them:(

So the crossbow I want must be useful for hunting, precise in shooting, and easy replaceable limbs are desirable. the max sum is about 800 - 1000)
    And I would be thankful to you if you answer some questions.
    1. Potential distance of shooting
    2. Is the cross bow more powerful than a 60# bow?
    3. I have chosen 2 variants http://pse-archery.com/c/crossbows_reaper-crossbow or http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalog/crossbow/exocet_200 which is better and what would you do if you were in my shoes?
    Have a good day thanks for watching
    Dima

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Killkenny

Killkenny Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The new Tenpoint Stealth SS looks to me like the perfect crossbow. I will have one when they become available later on. Tenpoints customer service is tops. I now own a Wicked Ridge Invader which is made by Tenpoint, but my intentions will be updating to the new Stealth SS this spring.
    For rugged simplicity Excaliber, a recurve crossbow company with many models to choose from, they to have great customer service. The only drawback to a recurve crossbow is the width. They are quite a bit wider than compound crossbows, but much easier to maintain. Your best bet is to go to as many pro shops as you can and try many different types and brands. Let the crossbow pick you. Good luck.

I used to be very anti crossbow for years, that is until I got educated. I love hunting with both vertical and horizontal weapons now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like Ten Point or Barnett. The new Barnett ghost 350 is sweet. Look at it!

4. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can say from lots of shooting crossbows that the http://www.middletoncrossbow.com/en/ is the way to go. Super light fast and deadly accurate it is not rare to split bolts most every time we shoot. The dtm 375 is a bout $800-900. :)

5. Dima

Dima Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    tell me please if we compare bow 60# or crossbow 185-200# ara they the same accoading to power and approx energy?

6. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This would depend on many diff varibles. First off what is the draw length of that person shooting the 60# bow? It still give the advantage of speed to the crossbow with the poundage you have. Even if a 60 lbs compound bow with a 30 in DL archer still may be over 300 or 310 fps per sey. I have a Xbow at 175 lbs and shoots 305 fps. With a 200 lbs Xbow looking about 330fps. As far as KE no question the Xbow wins hands down cause the bolt is likely much heavier. Speeds in general are fairly close but KE def get pass throughs with every Xbow out there.

7. dmwhite

dmwhite Newb

Dislikes Received:
    :tu: Check out what Parker has to offer .

8. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Excalibur in my book! Can't go wrong with them and recurve is the way to go. The company is top notch with customer service.

9. kaiyara

kaiyara Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok im new to archery im so eager to start shooting i just got a martin jaguar recurve 50#draw weight. But thing is i got this bow like 2 weeks ago and still have no arrows are there any places online that sell just single arrows that are feather fletched. And if so what kind of arrow should i get my draw length is 28.8 inches.

Prep4sure.com Cisco: Exam Training Online Practice Test

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  10. capgun

capgun Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Excalibur, Try the new matrix 350 . or the 380

11. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    excalibur makes a good crossbow

12. dlesh04

dlesh04 Newb