Help with arrow building first timer

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by centralNJguy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. centralNJguy

centralNJguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

After reading how so many of you enjoy/prefer fletching your own arrows I decided to give it a shot myself. I ordered pretty much everything I should need except now I am wondering if I have the right glue for the inserts. I have the Bohning Fletchtite Platinum for the vanes but should I be using the same glue for the inserts? It hadn't really crossed my mind until now.

Also I have heard good things about the Loctite and Gorrilla glues. I'm sure some of you have tried several of these brands. Should I give the Fletchtite a try and is it safe to use on the inserts?

Thanks

2. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use gorilla. never had anything negative happen when using it. I also do friends arrows.

3. BOWDADDY64

BOWDADDY64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X 2 on the Gorilla glue , I use the gel and have had excellent preformance. The Platinium will work , but I would use Gorilla for the inserts. IMO

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't overthink the glue. Just head to walmart and back in the paint department there is a little bottle of loctite super glue professional. It's in a little blue bottle and isn't that expensive. i've been using it for at least 2 years now and have yet to have a single issue with the stuff.

5. centralNJguy

centralNJguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Another question tho... Has anyone ever used the Arizona Ez Fletch Mini? I just made two arrows and realized that cock vane isn't in the same position as what I normally shoot. I've been shooting my old arrows thru a drop away rest with the odd vane up. Now this jig is making the arrows with the odd on the right or left side. Is this really going to affect the flight of the arrow? Looks strange since its not what I'm used to but if Arizona made it that way I have to imagine it works.

6. BOWDADDY64

BOWDADDY64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are your nocks glued in? if not just turn them. And on the arizona jig you will need to turn the jig to have the cock vane in line with the nock each time you set in a new arrow.

7. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    loctite Blue for all.

8. centralNJguy

centralNJguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they were sent to me glued in. But I found a way to adjust the jig to line up the vanes the way I want. The Gorilla Glue seems to be working well. I just need to get a hang of applying the right about of glue.

Thanks

9. Downeast

Downeast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Loctite Super Glue Gel in the black/blue bottle for my fletching and Gorilla glue for the inserts. The Gorilla glue take the beating better.

10. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use fletch tite platinum for the vanes, and so I can index my broad heads I use a high temp hot melt glue. If you decide to use hot melt glue, just make sure its high temp so you don't lose an insert/field tip pulling arrows out of your target.

11. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah if the cock vane is in the wrong position just rotate your nock. As for glue I like loctite

12. rangerj

rangerj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Blue locktite gel and I have an Arizona mini, it works very well.