New peep

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by nanook, May 30, 2013.

1. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys,

First, I've not been on in awhile, I hope everyone had a great season! I just got a G5 peep installed and got rid of my peep with a tube.... The guy at the pro shop was telling me that the string was twisting and I needed to re "train" it. When I align my nock loop with the peep it's still angled a bit to the right when I look through it. What is the best advice for correcting this? Do I keep moving the nock point and it will work itself out?

Also since getting the new peep, I noticed and expected to have to sight in my bow again. However since this is my first bow, now my 10 pin is all the way to the top, do I just move my sight up a bit and sight in again and if so how far up do I move it?

Thanks!

Tim

2. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Strings will twist when they are brand new, and they are settling in; or when they are failing and just continue to stretch until your bow becomes difficult to shoot due to being so far out of spec. If your string is really twisting, you need to address one of these issues.

If the guy at the shop put it in crooked, then it will never sit quite right. No amount of "training" will set it straight.

As for it changing your aiming, that indicates that it wasn't put back where the old one was taken out. So long as you are comfortable with it, and your anchor point has not changed, you can move your sights accordingly. If you are forced to change your anchor, the peep needs to be moved to where it belongs.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Z7 with the G5 peep and had the same issue from day one. I have developed a habit of turning the peep before I draw and that helps. It may not be the correct solution but it works.

As for the sight, if you had the 10 pin marked before you moved it, just move it back and then move the entire sight instead of the individual pins. The gaps for yardage shouldn't have changed with the new peep.

4. coilguy

coilguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The peep should come to your eye perfect. The train your string thing is, in my opinion, BS.

I had a new string made for my Z7 and the peep twisted as I drew it to my eye. I called my guy and he took it back in cut the servings and reset and retwisted a part of the string. He has made strings for every bow I have had for the past while and when this one came to me less then perfect I was surprised. I would not accept the "train you string" excuse. I would only accept it working correctly. The reason you can take the tube off is because a properly made string will place the peep wide open at your eye without the aid. As far as the sight question, if you are still anchoring the same place it would not surprise me if yourstring maker did not measure center d loop to center peep before he replaced it.

CG

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it was done correctly, your site should still be on. How is the peep tied in? You can always slightly adjust it and re-tie it with out having to press the bow.

6. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your tech at the shop is feeding you a line of crap about "training" the string....He should have put a twist in the string to align it right but it's obvious he either doesn't know a lot or didn't feel like doing it the right way....
    Stock strings on most every bow out there are notorious for twisting and stretching over time...Only real cure, a good set of aftermarket strings...Yes you can put a band aid on it and make it work by twisting the peep every time before you draw or moving your loop around but that's not the correct cure.
    As far as your sight being off after the new peep was installed, your "tech" didn't put the peep back in where you had your old one...If you had to raise your sight a lot it sounds like he put it in higher in the string than your old one was...Kinda sounds like you need to find a new shop.

7. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about but I guess not. I wanted to replace the string as I read if it was twisting you should replace it. I've had the bow since last July so I'm guessing the sting is a year old, but no telling how long it was on the shelf at Cabelas. If anyone knows any good shops out around the Wheaton/DuPage area that would be great. I was at an archery place in Plainfield when I got the work done.

8. bjankowski

bjankowski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good answer Bubba; how ya been? I exchanged emails with your pop the other day.

9. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nanook - do some checking around with friends and Google to find a good shop to take your bow to. After a year, it is believable that your stock strings are needing to be replaced. I have to replace mine every 12-14 months, and stock strings just don't last near as long as a quality custom set will. Don't be afraid to drive a little bit to a shop for good service.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

10. Perrys No Peep

Perrys No Peep Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great advise...

another option,

Go peep less?