Camo shopping for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by centralNJguy, May 25, 2013.

1. centralNJguy

centralNJguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,

It is my intention to go out deer hunting for the first time this year. I live in NJ and would be hunting from a stand. I was wondering if anyone hunts in the area and what camo might be best for my environment? Also what garments should I really be investing in? I imagine at dawn and dusk it gets pretty cold, pretty quick. So some base layers, a good jacket, pants, hat, face mask, gloves... anything else? Thermacell for those damn bugs? A scent blocking spray?

Any recommendationations as to a camo pattern or even a particular brand you like to use? I know many of you will say that its more important to learn how to be quiet, still, and odor free and I understand that 100%, but beyond that I am still looking for purchase camo for the upcoming season.

I've heard a lot of people like Realtree AP and Mossy Oak Inifinity. Would either work well in NJ? I'd like to start picking up a few items now while it's out of season and possibly find some good deals, rather than waiting and open my wallet for a whole set in the fall.

Anyway just a quick recommendation about brands or camo patterns would be awesome. And what the hell makes a $200 pair of Under Armour pants worth the money? Is it better to spend a few bucks on one of the "scent blocking" brands of clothing? I mean is hunting camo really a "you get what you pay for" kind of necessity or can you get by just as well without breaking the bank?

Thanks

2. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a fan of leafy suits in the early season, after that I wear predator Camo. I recommend checking there stuff out.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

3. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to use the "off brands", so to speak. I like ASAT, Predator, and NatGear. I think the more open pattern hides your outline much better.

SCFox

4. centralNJguy

centralNJguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is it worth it to spend on the "scent blocking" brands? Or is that all a much of sales mumbo jumbo? I know scent is important, but do the clothes work after a few months of use or are you better off just using one of those sprays each time out?

5. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use anti-microbial base layers and have had good luck with it.

SCFox

6. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just play the wind.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too use a leafy camo suit in the early season and I switch to Lost Camo once the leaves are gone.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you know the vegetation where you will be hunting it may help in your selection. Playing the wind is good advice. If you have ticks, get some permethrin too (e.g. To treat your clothes).

For the base, if you have a UA outlet store near you you can probably find some 3.0 or 4.0 during the summer. I picked up a full set last summer for ~$40.

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Realtree AP should be pretty good for NJ. If you're just starting out, there's no sense in making a big investment until you know you're going to stick with it and have a better idea specifically what you need.
    I suggest heading to like a gander mountain asap. You can still find some good camo on clearance. This is the way to go.
    Layering is where it's at. Again don't worry about super expensive base layers until you are more experienced and know exactly what you need. I used to hunt in long johns, sweat pants and shirt, and a carhart jacket and bibs, with success.

As for weight, look at what the weather will be, how cold, how rainy... I have a 3 in 1 jacket with a heavier bib and it's perfect for all conditions here in Indiana. For now you need to focus on cost vs. versitility until you can get some in the woods experience.

Also, no need for expensive brands yet. Again, that will come in time as you find garments specifically suited for a task.

Lastly, get an arm gaurd to hold your sleeve tigh against your arm and be sure to shoot in your gear in the off season. Shooting in a parka is a lot different than a long sleeve shirt...

Happy hunting buddy

10. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Realtree APHD bibs and jacket made by Scent Blocker. They are heavy enough to keep you warm with base layers underneath for the cold weather, yet they are light enough to wear early season just without any underneath layers. I think they were about $100 a piece. I think you will be fine with whatever you get, just get some Tinks B-tech or Dead Down Wind to help cover your scent. Good luck!

11. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree

12. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Predator Fall Grey all year. I also like the Asat camo like the 3d suit they make if I was adding another that would be it.

13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    great advice here^ you don't have to spend all kinds of money on all name brand under armour this...scent blocker that... you should go to a gander mountain/basspro/cabelas/even walmart (be careful though) and get some lower costing cammo, realtree/ mossy oak works fine. buy some pants and a top, keeping them a little baggy for base layers as it gets colder. when November rolls around and your still addicted, you can then get some colder weather gear to keep your costs down. also do some online hw beforehand and find out the predominant wind direction, and keep that in mind when you hang your treestand to make sure you are "downwind" from a deer run so you don't get busted. try to have a a few spots in case the wind direction changes or is not in your favor that day. good luck, and fire away with questions!!

14. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use scent lok full season bibs and bowhunter jacket, even on the coldest 15 degree days around here all i need is heavy weight base layers and my camo, the water resistant quiet material is so nice and i have it in break up infinity, my brother has the same thing but in vertigo, both awesome patterns for where we hunt, and its not too expensive either, i got the bibs for 100$ and the jacket for 75$ so thats right in my price range atleast

15. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Enigma camo. You won't be disappointed.

16. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I buy oversized long sleeve T's and oversized pants in camo. I just wear them over whatever I need for the weather. I bought about everything I have used on ebay. I do have one rain and wind proof jacket that I paid a little more for though. The T's just soak up water on those rainy days.

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I buy mostly Mossy Oak Infinity...

18. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeah i hunt NJ too and realtree AP works great for me.

19. Growler

Growler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OP, where are you shooting in Central NJ? It is my first year also. I am Just outside of Hamilton by rt 33 and 130. You?

20. centralNJguy

centralNJguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do already have some under armour tops and bottoms in my closet. I ordered a shirt and jacket from scentloks close out section, seemed like a good deal. I'd like to head to a Cabelas but the closest one is like 90 miles away. Maybe next time I go to a PA gun show I'll stop in. Their "bowhunter" line of pants/jackets seems to be reasonably priced and gets pretty rave review. Still need some pants and eventually I'll need some cold weather gear. And I guess I'll look into the tinks spray as someone suggested and of course learn about playing the wind. I'm sure that take real world experience to get the hang of tho.

And I'm in Woodbridge for the last post that asked. I usually just shoot in my backyard, I've got enough room to safely practice out to 40 yards.