Organics, GMOs, Raw Milk, Honey, etc .... Anybody doing it or thinking about it?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Tony, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, but I also believe times have changed and chemicals aren't just rushed to market and put into use like they were many years ago. On average now, it takes a company 10 years and $180 million to develop, test and get approval for a single new herbicide. There are precautions being taken now that never were years ago.

2. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is not taken into consideration are the unintentional contamination of areas when chemicals are inproperly used by well meaning yet clueless people, as an example ever one that grows sweet corn knows that racoons are devastating to your crop, but instead of trapping or shooting them they go to the local co-op and by _______ and mix it with coke placed in pie tins the dead coons are usually found dead within sight. these carcasses then become the secondary source of inproper contamination of every thing that feeds on them.

3. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    In WI that would be illegal. You're also talking about the home gardener. Your example above has nothing to do with commercial farming.

5. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its illegal here too but it is wide spread none the less, and just another way unintended circumstances can give false positives to studies being done to legitimize the proper usage as safe for all of us.

I have 10 hives, give or take winter mortality.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dan ... let's start over ....

Have any of you thought, researched, or applied any of this?

I have been researching this alot lately ... I always wondered why when I was young, almost no one had allergies ...food or airborne ...now it is rampant.

So here is what I am researching

Buy and grow organic..... http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_...n_conventional

Fight for GMO labeling if it turns out I believe there to be an issue
    http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/what-is-gmo/

Buy some dairy goats for fresh milk with no anti-biotics or hormones
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Susta...#axzz2NZEMZlJZ

I already have the chicken thing going ....

I am the research stage and I was looking for input...

What are your thoughts? and WHY do you believe or think it?

Is that better, Dan?

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    "John", I cannot play at work anymore so my responses are limited to Friday - Sunday all day and after 5pm the other days..

The honey bees are a huge concern .. I couldn't agree more ... I love the hive idea ...

Dan, let me throw a few sites out there ... not sure it will do anything ..like I said, it's all about what you choose to believe .... and again, I have not come to a conclusion for myself yet ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Genetically-Modified-Foods

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/genetically-modified-foods-get-facts

And this is loaded with info .. http://gmo.mercola.com/

it goes on and on and on...

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    http://growwny.org/whats-new/2551-2013-honeybee-losses-startlingly-high

[h=1][/h]

[h=2]2013 HONEYBEE LOSSES STARTLINGLY HIGH[/h]
    BY JUDY EINACH ON APRIL 02, 2013

[​IMG]In previous blog posts we wrote about honeybees dying at rates as high as 30% a year. This spring, some commercial beekeepers report death rates as high as 50%. Apparently this is the magic number because the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) finally sent top administrative personnel and chemical experts to investigate honeybee deaths in California, where spring pollination of almonds and other fruit and vegetable crops is at risk. Honeybee losses are not limited to California. Adee Honey Farms in South Dakota is the largest beekeeper in the United States and reports losses of 42%.

Staggering losses of honeybees, otherwise known as Colony Collapse Disorder, coincide with the introduction, in 2005, of a class of chemicals called neonicotinoids. These chemicals are engineered into seeds and remain active for weeks. Consequently bees bring toxic nectar and pollen back to the hives where they and their offspring ingest the poisons. Over time the build up of toxins in their tiny bodies, combined with other toxic chemicals to rid plants of fungi, weedkillers, and exposure to viruses, all add up to a deadly cocktail. But the use of neonicotinoids seems to be what’s triggered mounting losses of honeybees.

Last month we posted a request that you sign a petition which would be delivered to the EPA, demanding they rethink approval of neonicotinoids. In mid-March EPA was sued by beekeepers, environmentalists and consumer groups on the grounds that EPA overstepped its own authority when it moved forward to approve some neonicotinoids. Referencing the losses reported this spring, EPA is finally speeding up their review of the impact of this class of chemicals on bees and other wildlife. The makers of neonicotinoids consistently take the position that neonicotinoids are safe. They continue to do so, but a spokesman for CropLife America, the organization that represents over 90 pesticide producers, supports additional research and said that findings will guide regulation of products.

In the meantime, engineers released a new seed that will be planted this year with the internal structure to withstand powerful pesticides to kill the super weeds that never existed prior to all this engineering. These weeds threaten highly engineered monocultures, vast acreage of GMO corn, soybeans or canola, eating into profit.

The owner of the large honeybee operation in South Dakota admitted he has “long scorned” environmentalists who have been so outspoken about the problem of Colony Collapse Disorder, but is now starting to think maybe we have a point. He’s quoted in the New York Times as saying, “These guys [environmentalists] really have something. Maybe they were just ahead of the bell curve.”

Expect to see higher food prices because with fewer pollinators, honeybees as well as other bees, butterflies and beneficial insects whose numbers are down for reasons other than neonicotinoids, fresh nuts, fruits and vegetables will be scarcer.

In our last post on this subject we quoted Albert Einstein who warned that as go the bees so go we. Today’s beekeepers describe Colony Collapse Disorder as the canary in the coal mine.

Thoughts???

9. Saskassasin

Saskassasin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe pregnant women should drink raw milk.

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you believe it should be illegal for pregnant women to drink raw milk?

The neonicotinoids are an interesting issue.... but I will not support a blanket ban all forms of neonicotinoids. It's likely the flea and tick medicine you put on your dog is a neonicotinoid..... and unless bees are sucking on your dog, it's not a problem. A lot of people do put this stuff on the trees in their yard. I could see where it would be a problem on flowering trees. (apples, pears, ornamentals) On the other hand, putting this stuff on green been plants probably isn't hurting the bees either.

I saw a picture on FB today that had pictures of lumpy rats and declared that eating GMO grain killed rats or caused them to become sterile in short order. I had to laugh. If only that were true. ;)

11. Saskassasin

Saskassasin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

No I absolutely do not think it should be illegal,

but...

"Raw milk can be contaminated with pathogens ranging from E. coli, which can cause hemolytic uremic syndrome (kidney failure) to Salmonella, which can cause sepsis and arthritis, and Listeria, which can cause stillbirth and miscarriages."

so they can drink it all they want but I don't want to hear one "boohoo pity me" if they have kidney failure or a miscarriage as a result. we are all adults and if they want to make a decision that could kill their unborn child then it is up to them.

but to me it is irresponsible and plain stupid to risk the childs life.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013