I Didn't Expect This

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bountyhunter, Mar 30, 2013.

1. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually if you were to ask "me" for hunting my first is 22 yards. Second is 28 and 3rd is 33. (I have been known to lay the first 3 on a deer and squeeze) the result was a dead deer.:)

For 3-d, my first is usually around 16 and then 23.

So I'm much more anal about it than most.:D

sent from my samsung note 2

2. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In most cases I dont think people are trying to be jerks about it. Most are truly trying to help others understand hunting and archery. Although it may come off jerkish I wouldn't look to far into it. I definately would not let questions go unanswered by not posting. U might miss out on some great info. Again this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

3. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I can't put 3 arrows into a 1" dot beyond 10 yards. I try to keep all arrows in the kill zone of the animal I'm shooting at. If I am using dots, then at 20 yards I'm happy with 4". But I'm also only happy with 4" at longer distances. I also like to shoot one arrow and then move distance. Just like in a hunting situation,I figure that the 3rd or 4th arrow don't mean much. So what I'm doing is moving back after one shot trying to keep all my shots within 4". If I go outside that 4", I'll shoot more from that distance until I get it in the zone. And now that I'm thinking on it, tfox, you my may have hit the nail on the head. As I increase the distance, I, without realizing it, may very well have compensated a bit by holding high. I will definitely try to watch out for this in the future. Maybe by starting at 30 yards and working my way in I'll see that my first shots are low? I appreciate the feed back and time, tfox.

Shooting dead center at 20 should leave me how low at 30 with the set up I'm using? Can't be more than 1"?

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The speed is way overated. You can do the same if your shooting 270 or 330. Set your first pin at 25 to 27 and the results are basically the same out to 30 yards. Slight variation.

This is what is misunderstood about the speed game.

5. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see some posts come off as the OP being a jerk, but I don't think in most cases it is purposefully. tfox has been kind enough to share his wisdom and experience with me in this thread, as have others, and I appreciate it. The more we learn here, the better our chances in the field. All is good, Bro. Keep posting, and let those who can, help us.

6. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So in this scenario with the pin set at 25, I'd still real close at 20 correct? If I decide to go with a single pin, setting it at 25 yards would probably cover me from 0 to 30 yards rather well?

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    25 zero will be a couple high at 20 and couple low at 30. Give or take. Lower at 30 than it is high at 20.

Put a dot on the target and practice. Don't aim at an area. This will be a truer representation of the true trajectory.

8. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Will do, tfox. Thanks again for the time and advice.

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did a little testing today with my setup. I used an arrow shooting 300 fps and compared it to an arrow shooting 255.

I sighted both in at 30 and compared how they hit at 20.

The 300 was 3" high at 20 and the 255 was 5". This is on the high side, could have been SLIGHTLY closer.

Both would be considered to be in the kill zone of a deer. Change the sight in to 28 or so and you could play it to where the heavy is 1" lower at 30 and 1" higher at 20.

So both could easily be used out to 30 with 1 pin but neither is truely "flat.

This is why I preach miss difference is really all that matters and if your sighted in for 30 and shoot at 35, both the fast arrow and the light one will be too low.

A 70# bow will shoot flatter than a 60# but at 30, the difference is very minimal. What I'm saying, 300 fps doesn't have the same trajectory from a light arrow and a heavy one.

If you get 330 fps with a 500 gr arrow, then you are very close to being flat shooting at 30 yards. (atleast with parallax figured in)

Anyway, here are the pics.

Fast at 30

[​IMG]

Fast at 20

[​IMG]

Slow at 30

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No we don't ... your wrong... ;)

**disclaimer**** that was a joke :D

11. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very good info, tfox. The pics are a great touch too. I'm going to get my pin set at 25 I think and see how I like that between 20 and 30.

12. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shoot a one pin site this is what i did i shot a arrow from 25 left in target then went to 20 and shot at my arrow was 1.5 inch high went to 30 and shot at the 25 yard arrow it was 2.5 low so i know where to aim when hunting i all so know over 30 i will have to move the pin if i want to take a longer shot just seems the easy way to find out

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will probably like it at 27 better.

14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is more the norm.

Make your "0" 27 yards and you will most likely be 2" high at 20 and 2" low at 30.

15. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll try 27, tfox.

16. Yooper

Yooper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK, i'm not trying to be a pain in the a$$, but tfox how does the mass of the arrow affect trajectory if acceleration due to gravity is independent of mass....wouldn't drag be the only variable that made a difference other then initial velocity??? Does it have to do with FOC and flight dynamics? I might be missing something here.

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Momentum;)

18. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To elaborate. The arrow with more momentum will lose velocity at a slower rate. Therefore, it retains more of it's original velocity downrange, resulting in less drop over an equal distance.

There may be more to it than that but that about covers it.

19. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man you are touchy. If I were going to call you a liar, I'd say "you are a liar!" As I said, there is no way that statement is true. Not by my definition of accurate. Your definition, that is obvious now. I guess a more accurate statement by many (not just you) should say something on the lines of one pin for a kill shot from zero to 30. You are more on the hunter killing critters side of the spectrum and I am more on the dead nuts accurate target side. Nothing wrong with that. To you one pin will get it done. To me one pin adjustable to the half yard will get it done. You're statement about impressing spectators seemed a little off kilter to me. Kind of a stab at my obsession with accuracy. Have your first shot on a deer cause it to not be recovered because you weren't as accurate as you thought and you may want to be more accurate as well. Maybe I should just clear the air and I'll make it be known that I meant nothing offensive by my statement. If it was taken that way, I am sorry.

20. Yooper

Yooper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! See how much someone can learn on here :D