I Didn't Expect This

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bountyhunter, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I went out today to set my 20 yard pin, I've been shooting at 7 yards in the basement, and found out that my top pin is good from that 7 yards all the way out to just over 30 yards. 31.5 was the farthest I got to shoot here. I thought I would have to hold high with the pin, but didn't. I'm shooting an ICS 340 with a 100 grain tip at 71 pounds and 28.5" draw length from my Chill. I'm assuming it's the heavy draw weight that is allowing it?

2. BIGROB6480

BIGROB6480 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my chill is set at 28''/70lbs and my first pin is good to 30 as well using carbon express blue maxima 350 I was shocked as well. it starts to drop at 28 yard on flat ground but in my stand 30 yards solid with no drop till about 32 yards.

3. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's nice having to only worry about the top pin out to 30 yards. It might help me harvest an animal or two this year.

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, how high are you at 20?

sent from my samsung note 2

5. BIGROB6480

Dislikes Received:
    right....

6. BIGROB6480

Dislikes Received:
    for myself, at 10 yards not even a inch, at 20 1/4 to 1/2 high

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First thing is,there should be NO difference in a stand verses flat ground. 30 yards is 30 yards.If you have a different impact,then you have a form issue.

If your "flat" to 28,then your zero is 28 and you should be a 3" +- inches high at 20.

I am speaking of a true "0",not a 4" circle.

There is no such thing as a flat shooting bow. It is called arch..ery for a reason.:lol:

I punched in your numbers and and got a rough 323 fps. I assume that is pretty close but it really doesn't matter much.I used 30" to your sight from the peep at full draw and your gap between 20 and 30 should be just shy of an 1/8" which is extremely tight as pin gaps go. Personally I would put my sight out as far as I could in your situation to open the gap up a little.

I realize all things are relative but when people say they are shooting flat to 30-40 yards,I feel it is crucial to let others know that it really doesn't happen that way. I hope it keeps people from chasing speed when they should be focusing on other aspects of the game.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One pin from zero to 30yd. Right..... Are you shooting at a 1" circle or a 6" circle. 10" circle maybe? There is no way this is true. How fast is your bow shooting an I mean chrono speeds.

9. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great post.....take notes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

10. Yooper

Yooper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you use your range finder from your treestand 30 yards to the ground isn't the same as 30 yards over level ground. The steeper the angle the more cut needs to be figured shooting uphill or downhill makes no difference. Maybe that's what is going on there.

11. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think to clarify, 30 ft away on flat ground is not the same distance diagonally as sitting on a treestand 30 feet away on flat ground.

So both of you are correct since both of you misunderstood eachother.

12. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I shot one arrow into a 2D turkey target at 15, 20, 25, and then 31.5 yards. That was as far back as I could get at that moment. All of the arrows would have been kill shots as far as I could tell. Was it a 1" group? No. Could I have released a bit high or low? Yes. I suppose there are factors that could change the outcome of the test. The post by tfox makes me think that. I was merely commenting on the fact that my top pin could make a kill shot out to 30 yards. If it's an inch high at 20, I don't much care. I only shoot to kill the game. Not impress spectators.

As far as the, " There is no way this is true", statement goes, I don't appreciate being called a liar if that was your intent.

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the 30 is from the base of the tree, then yes, they are the same distance as far as the shot is concerned.

14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In that case, your ranging the hypotenuse or long side of the angle. There is a very minor cut from average tree stand heights. Usually less than 2 yards.

15. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can almost guarantee you were making compensations if you stayed in the kill of a turkey. Maybe without even knowing it.

16. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well no = ( looks like I clarified wrong. I was trying to say what yooper said, you are correct should only make a 2yard difference or so. Probably 1m actually.

17. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:

You very well could be right, tfox. I don't have the experience that most of you have, and my form is not perfect. I am happy that I can hit a turkey sized target at 30 yards, but I am not sure that I could do it 100% of the time. Especially with a live animal. Time will tell.

18. BIGROB6480

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I don't post a lot, everyone and there mother want to correct you. I am not getting into an argument with everyone, this is what I see coming out of my bow if ANY of you would like to see what I am seeing I live in south east Michigan would love to shoot with some of you so you can see for yourself.

19. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only stating the facts on how the physics of archery works.

Sight parallax will make it seem a bow shoots flatter than it does. So that is one factor one must account for.

I specifically asked how high at 20 to see what parameters you were using.

It is quite possible to be in the kill zone of a deer from 0-30 with one pin, but the kill zone is quite large. But you can't and will not hit a 1" dot out to 30 with 1 pin without compensating.

20. BIGROB6480

Dislikes Received:
    I understand what you and everyone else is saying, so if I were to ask you what your first pin is set would you say 19.5 or 22 . most people say there first pin is at 20, that all I am saying. My hunting set up if a deer comes in 10-30 yards its first pin which is 30 yards if it drops only 1" its good to 30. I know and every archer should now that there is not flat shooting bows, that's why I was saying a 1" high low what ever is good, its hunting and as you know you can take theory and math and throw it out the window, when your in the woods. I never knew having a bow that will sling arrows out 30 yards with little drop would so criticized. Again this is why I and I am sure others don't post because of this.