Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Predator camo

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 31, 2009.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up a Main Beam backpack in brown Deception at the last dealer show I worked at ... sweet pack; should be a perfect compliment to the brown Deception fanny pack I already have for elk hunting. Featured on Predator's website for like $130 or so and I bought it for $60. :cool:

Those are the only two items I own in Deception though.

2. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you Troy, I really like the brown and green deception. I shot my Tom last year at about 11 paces wearing Brown deception leaning against a tree, 3 birds in total at 11 paces, never knew I was there. Same thing this spring, never once was busted by countless birds wearing the brown deception. Last year wearing green deception had birds every where, never busted. If I can fool a turkeys eyes with the camo I am wearing, I have no problems wearing it for deer hunting. I shot my Buck this past season at 10 yards, he looked right up at me from 15 yards, I didn't move and he came even closer with no worries, until he got double lunged at 10 yards!

3. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah its hard to argue with what feedback we get from the animals. I guess if any of us are happy with how the animals we are hunting react, then go with whats working.

Scott thanks for the breakdown of why you feel its better. Its nice to have something to chew on and I see your point. The way my deception is working so far and if the "brown" is even better, sounds like the "brown" might be so good its not even fair. Nevertheless, I am pretty happy with the deception this spring and I really like warp knit material.. comfy, light, warm, waterproof, and quiet. It was you and Greg/MO that always kept me interested in the Predator in the first place. I finally decided to give it a whirl after being unhappy with the way my camo looked at from afar... up close the camos I wear havent seemed to be a problem but from afar I look like a blob...and as far as spotting and stalking elk and bears out here i want to break up from far off ... I read everyones input but still liked the patterns and the greens I get in the deception brown...

BF, thats great to hear I am not the only one experiencing the critters looking right through me. I was covered up in elk in my bear spot last weekend and I could not believe how they didnt even notice me... not even a second look..when passing by at 20-50 yards..

Something happened to me with turkeys in this new camo that I have never been able to get away with the other day... I was out trying to stick a bird with my longbow.. I got tired of sitting (waiting on the birds to come by) thinking they didnt come on their normal route. So I crawled out of my natural cover to take a peek. I took about 5 steps and low and behold here they all were coming right at me about 30 yards
    away up over a rise in the field. I knew they saw movement so I just froze, standing there in full head to toe. Those birds saw movement and froze, I knew I was busted. I couldnt believe what played out. This NEVER happens ....NEVER.. They calmed back down and stared right through me.. even the gobbler.. then they went back to feeding up the field, I knelt down when I had a chance and they looked my way one more time.. hesitated just a bit, clucked a bit and then went back to feeding. I couldnt believe.. maybe it was a coincidence but never in all my years of hunting turks here have I been that close and had birds calm down like that an look right through me in the wide open.. :confused:

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Troy,

Get used to those types of experiences.... :d The Predators and ASAT's will give you experiences like that time and time again. It truly is amazing how much more effective these camos are than the industry standard patterns.

One thing I did not consider before is how much different your topography and timber is than mine.... Deception could be a much better choice for you than it is here for me.

Regardless, that was a cool story... But, I am sure something similar will happen to you in it again :cool:

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The more you guys talk about this camo the more I want to go drop some coin and buy it. You all keep it up and I'll end up with some before the season starts. :d

6. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it WORKS!!!:d

[​IMG]

7. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great pic...alright, yea it works 4 me too. Here is a double turkey/doe kill. Turkeys are few here and very hard to draw on.

[​IMG]

8. gunnar

gunnar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have any experience with day one camo??? I want to get a pair or two of pants and don't want to spend some major coin. I already own bibs and jacket from GWW, which I love.

Gunnar

9. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gunnar,

I had a fleece pullover and pants from Day One. It was quality, but not on par with GWW in my opinion.

10. gunnar

gunnar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Double Creek,

Were the pants worth the $95?

11. Double Creek

Dislikes Received:
    To me they were, but mine were fall brown, which is no longer in production so that is worth a little more. $95 for pants isn't much more than you will pay for any type of fleece pants, much less in your favorite predator camo.

12. Double Creek

Dislikes Received:
    On a side note, I had read that Day One ran a little small and that was my experience as well.

13. gunnar

gunnar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    that's what I was thinking. Did you ever see any of their other materials? Which fleece did you have? I see they have a light fleece.

14. gunnar

gunnar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    DC,

Disregard the light fleece question, they don't make it in the predator fall gray. Any insight on the bucksuede?

15. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it's the same bucksuede put out by Predator, it makes for a nice kicking-around garment, but nothing I like to seriously hunt in. I've got two bucksuede Predator jackets, and I usually reserve them for scouting and hanging stands these days... A bit noisy and stiff for my liking.

16. gunnar

gunnar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks Greg...I think for the price i'm going to give the fleece and cotton pants a try to compliment my GWW.

17. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody have a line on the Bucksuede pants in Brown Deception. The bargain cave only has 3XL, looking for an XL, I am so bummed they are not making it any more!

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The bucksuede pants I had were trashed after one season of moderate use. I could take some photos for you guys later if you want. The "suede" delaminated from the canvas backing all over the pants.

Terrible quality IMO.

19. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Call sportsmans Whse in Ankeny, IA; they did last I knew. 515-963-3500

20. jeffb

jeffb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yikes, that is a motley crew in that pic :d