Let's hear about your 2012 Bow kills!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Fitz, Feb 8, 2013.

1. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a good one on camera that I was after and had one of my best hunts in memory taking him. I built a wagon blind so I could hunt open spaces using decoys. I bought a boss buck and a doe decoy and put them in standing beans 15 yards from the blind. The buck came out at about sunset and spotted the decoys. I had the doe decoy bedded on the ground and the buck standing near her so it would appear that he was tending her. I had also sprayed the beans with doe urine. The real buck could not stand it and came marching over with his ears pinned back and swaying his head. The last 10 yards he actually walked in sideways. I shot him at 13 yards as he circled the buck decoy. I will post a trail camera picture and also a picture I took of him when he first started paying attention to the decoys. The deer and turkeys pay absolutely no attention to the wagon. PICT0253.jpg IMG_0154.jpg IMG_0227.jpg IMG_0238.jpg

2. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I also took a fall gobbler and shot a few does. One doe hunt made for an interesting photo. I bought an electric golf cart that I tricked out a little and used for trapping and getting to stands etc. I had been at one of the farms making a couple of bobcat sets and it was getting late in the afternoon so I decided I might as well get in a bow hunt. I took the cart back to my truck and grabbed the bow and went back into a stand overlooking a field. I took a doe just before dark and ended up strapping her to the back of the cart. Whatever works right? lol 2012111395133342 (2).jpg 2012111395174922.jpg

3. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2012 was pretty exciting. Didn't take my target buck but it was fun chasing him.
    image.jpg

Ended up taking a couple does and a nice 9 pt
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch: Love the wagon blind!! Great buck!

5. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. That blind is so handy. The day I finished it, I pulled it out into the field and went home and got my son. Two hours later he had taken his first deer with a bow out of it. We have had a lot of fun hunts in that thing. It really opens up a lot of opportunities to hunt open spaces. I carpeted the floor to keep it quiet and it can comfortably hold three guys in full size chairs.

6. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a good year. This was my second year videoing hunts. I normally solo-cam it, but I took my 9 year old son with me on a hunt in early September. He videoed me killing a doe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then in early November, on a solo-cam hunt, I took a buck I caught on a trail camera a few times throughout the summer and early fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some still frames of the shot taken from the video. Love the Nockturnal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. ohiobowhunter77

ohiobowhunter77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    iphone22 009.jpg just picked mine up from the taxidermist actully

8. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    034.jpg 040.jpg 275.jpg I was blessed in 2012 and took some Great animals !!! i took 6 long beards in 4 different states to start the season off, then went north to Manitoba and took a great black bear. My first WT hunt for the season was in N/E Wyoming and on day 3 I connected with a supper 10 point and got it all on camera. My 2nd buck was taken in my home state of Ohio and this one was a real bonus ! I had many encounters with this buck when he was 1.5 and 2.5 yr old. He just disappeared in his 3rd and 4th year He was very distinguishable as he was missing all but 2" of his tail. On the evening of Halloween he made a appearance and after a great shot he was down within 40 yards. Not until i was gutting him that I noticed his short tail.4 years will do a lot for a set of antlers but his tail it was still just 2" long !! My 3rd buck was in Ky and another great 8 point, In all you get out of every season what you put into it !!!

9. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome post!!!

10. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take this one this past season. I took him the end of Oct. on a cool rainy day. I was set up on a tree line overlooking a picked bean field lined with alphalpha. I was in a ground blind hunting over a decoy.

He appeared after a series of grunts and rattles. I first saw him at 60yds and patiently waited for him to close the distance. Everything went like it had hoped for. He closed the distance to 20yds and was approaching my decoy. Standing perfectly broadside, I took the shot. He made it 40yds, just inside the tree line and expired. This is my biggest buck to date.

SCFox
    image.jpg (95.3 KB)
    image.jpg (100.3 KB)

Attached Files:

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man that doe is HUGE! How much did she weigh?

12. MNp&y

MNp&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my first archery buck this year and was fortunate enough for it to be a P&Y. I got the opportunity to hunt at Camp Ripley in MN and was drawn for the first of the two allotted times. I happened to come upon my buck scouting an area for an evening stand and seen this buck bedded down next to a log with a doe. It had been raining all morning so it was fairly easy to quietly stalk up to withing bow range of the buck. I got to about 35 yards found a narrow gap to shoot through the underbrush and let the arrow fly. My buck ran about 40 yards before piling up. He was on the side of a hill and angled toward me but I put a solid shot on him putting it in front of the shoulder on one side and coming out behind the shoulder on the other side. My Z7 Magnum armed with a Gold Tip Pro Hunter arrow and a 100g Swhacker broadhead did the job! The best part was yet to come. When recovering the deer I noticed a bald spot on its back and found that it was due to being shot before. There was a Rage broadhead embedded in it. You can see the bald spot in the pictures. and I also show the broadhead. bald spot.jpg embedded.jpg Pope and Young.jpg rip buck.jpg Ripley Buck.jpg

13. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great kill :)
    It's nice to see a local rack pic on here, let em see here in Minnesota we have great hunting too

14. groundhunter

groundhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    2012 is my favorite year

I had a very nice year hunting. It started off in early season here in Maine. I was on the ground in a natural blind and I had a nice heavy 10 point at 12 yards, I never got a shot off but I still consider that a type of success. Things kept getting better.
    The first week of November I traveled back to the family farm in Wisconsin for 5 days of hunting. On the second day I shot a nice doe while using a picnic table for a blind. Go figure... but hey someone left it in a good spot. Then came election day, the last day of my Wisconsin hunt. With about an hour of daylight remaining and after a lot craziness I was lucky enough to arrow a sweet, tall 8 pointer. It was an awesome hunt. If you are interested you can read the entire story of "Election day" as I call him here: http://www.sustainableoutdoors.net/election-day.html and things kept getting better.I returned home to the Maine rifle season in full effect. It kinda cruddy here, rifle season runs right through the entire month of November. Anyway I was able to finally get permission to hunt a property I had been longing to hunt for 6 years. About 1/2 hr after gaining permission my trusty old lever action Marlin took down a great old Maine woods buck. He field dressed at 213 lbs, had a 19.5" spread and a bunch of old worn down black teeth. He's my favorite. I'm pretty sure that he was very old and his skull is huge. He's a beat up spindly 7 point and I think that he was on his way down past his prime. If you are interested you can see a video me telling the tale in the field when I found him here: http://www.sustainableoutdoors.net/stories.html
    2012 deer.jpg It was a happy year for me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  15. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013