tips for turkey mount

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by MI_Brad, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MI_Brad

MI_Brad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am planning on shooting a turkey with my bow this year and was looking for some suggestions on how to mount it on to one of my existing mounts. It was made to use shotgun shells to mount the beards but cant exactly do that if I use my bow. All help is appreciated. Thanks!
    SAM_0085.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Hmm might be cool idea if you have a bunch of old aluminum arrows laying around that you dont care about. If you were to cut them off just below the fletching and glue a string to the nock when the nock is pulled off the arrow then run the string through the arrow and put the nock in place then tie the string around the beard.

I have no idea how this will look when done but it might be an idea. I just happen to have a bunch of old easton super slam aluminum arrows laying around that I might try this on someday if nobody else comes up with anything.

Another idea might be just to make a new fan with your next bird that you shoot with you bow and for the board that is the faceplate of the fan have it routed out to look like an arrowhead. I know some people that have a router that make all my turkey boards and they have made some boards that look like an arrow head for just cut off antlers mounted to a board

3. MI_Brad

MI_Brad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great idea. I'll definately try that. My only other idea was to make two of the hangers like this one that stretch the sides of the board and hang the beards off of that. I guess i should worry about that if/after I get a turkey.
    SAM_0043.jpg

4. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    beard mounts

100_2109.jpg 100_2120.jpg 100_2119.jpg 100_2115.jpg Maybe something like this?? P.S. I also make them so that the beard will pull off of the arrow shaft without destroying them as the grandchildren were smaller back in the day lol....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those look sharp!

6. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Bountyhunter, far as I know their the only ones like that around these parts. Taxidermist was wanting to know how I got the beards up in those small arrow shafts tho lmao !!!!!!!

7. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    That is exactly what I was trying to get at when I was explaining above. I had never seen this before. Looks great! How do you do it was I kind of close, haha? I am guessing you use some kind of glue maybe to hold in place better. I really have no idea. I was just going to experiment when I get my bird this year as well...If I get a bird.

Thanks for sharing, Great Help

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nsimmons, there is no gluing involved.

9. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That looks awesome. Really like the wings mounted, but the arrows are great.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

10. MI_Brad

MI_Brad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That looks really good. Im definately gonna try that out. Just wondering how you got the beards hooked up to that?

11. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wags, you're going to have to give me a tutorial on how to mount wings like that. I really like the wing/tail combo.