GMO Salmon - Some major retailers say "no" although science says its ok

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by jackflap, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am by no means defending the FDA and all of its actions and I am sure there are some instances of corruption just as there is in any facet of society including local churches, but to say it is not a govt agency and a for-profit organization and everything they do is crooked is quite a stretch, IMO.

Here is a link about how the FDA is structured for anyone who is interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FDA

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saskassasin so are you saying GMO yes or no?

3. Saskassasin

Saskassasin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is something I am very conflicted about, there has never been a single gmo seed on our farm ever. and I personally refuse to grow them. but I also know that they will be used extensively in the future.

To me the most important thing in the world is that everyone gets enough to eat and to feed their kids. there are already food riots in places of the world because of the price of food. to ban the technology and raise the price of food even more and the associated political unrest that would cause globally would be a catastrophic. even in the "richer" nations the markets would crash. If you could count your kids ribs from across the room you would be willing to kill people over it. overthrow the government exc. and that is the cold hard reality of the situation.

so I don't disagree with other people doing it but its definitely not for me.

if they gmo'd wheat to be a perenial legume(bonus points if it can handle a lot of salt) it would change the world. it would combat desertification while fixating nitrogen into the soil building up the organic matter in the soil worldwide. being a perenial it would choke out weeds and not require the use of herbisides to combat weeds making developing regions of the world able to produce food for themselves and not be reliant on chemical companies (both herbisides and fertilizers).

we can only produce x amount of food now because we only have y acres that food grows on. if we had plants like that it would open up huge new regions of the world to food production and increase food production exponetialy

it would also make wheat next to worthless to sell. and the associated boom in people would compound the problem even more.

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely would love to see starvation wiped out, especially when it is because of or results in political instability. I think we all agree too that we want the food supply to be safe to eat at the same time. I have been to enough 3rd world countries to know food safety issues are not always followed. Many times even if the supplied food is safe, the cooking procedures are not. We are very blessed in the US to be educated to food handling issues whether food is genetially altered or not.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never dealt with a live one, but can agree they actually taste good. Here in Springfield Carter's fish market started selling it cooked at their stand. Call it Silverfin and they debone the filets making it 100% boneless. I was surprised by how good it is, it's actually more of a whitefish than your typical buffalo/carp, most people I've had try it can't guess it is carp because it doesn't have that typical dark meat/skin color or the flavor. It's became my favorite fish over their walleye(pollock).

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man if I lived around those Asian Carp, I would be boating the heck out of them. Would save me a ton of money on fish and would be a lot of fun.

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have fried up Asian carp next to tilapia and catfish. The majority of people prefer the carp over tilapia and way more prefer the carp to catfish. Most of the people won't pick Asian carp over the other fish is because they can't get past the 'carp' name.

The meat of Asian carp is delicate. The fish needs to be put on ice quickly. Trying to eat one that has been at the bottom of the bowfishing barrel in the hot sun for several hours will be a major mistake. They are also bony as heck. Not light, scoreable bones like a buffalo fish or pike. We just cut the meat into strips with a couple of bones in it. When it's fried, you just pick up the 'carp wing' break the meat in half, eat the part without the bones first and the pull the bones out of the other part and eat it. Easy peazy.

And for the we'll all starve without GMO's crowd. I smirk in your general direction. :) I'm not a GMO hater or fear monger, in fact I've grown and sold some GMO crops here. But, people in the world starve because they can't get to food (politics/war), there are natural disasters (floods, droughts, locusts) or pestilence. Not because we don't have the capability to produce enough without GMOs. Most certainly, nobody is going to starve without access to a GMO salmon.

My whole issue with this fish is that story line that basically says, as long as they don't escape, we don't have much to fear. I don't find that very re-assuring. Plants have 'escaped' and done plenty of damage and they're just plants. GMO animals are bound to escape sooner or later and a Michael Crichton plot is sure to ensue. ;)

8. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im telling you i can't wait to get to the midwest because of the Asian Carp. I eat with chopsticks so I hear its not so bad for us.

Would anyone be against GMO Venison released into the wild?

9. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:

10. Saskassasin

Saskassasin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Starvation today is political absolutely ,If you kindly notice I was only talking about in the future (notice the part about when we hit 100 billion?), add 100 billion people to the planet and see what the food supply is like then.

our farm just in the last year alone produced over 5 MILLION pounds of product, I have a pretty good understanding of food production .

and the wild salmon stocks are already getting raped, add a few more gulf of mexico oil wells blowing up and a few more Fukushima reactors spilling into the ocean and then tell me what kind of salmon production the ocean is going to give us......not a damn thing

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  11. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    "And the second angel poured out his bowl upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man; and every living thing died in the sea." Rev. 16:3