Help with arrow flight problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by coheley665, Mar 25, 2013.

1. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright so i just picked up my bow last tuesday, had the pro shop set everything up (typically do a good job). Well i got home an started shooting to get things dialed in. One thing i noticed was my arrow was getting a little kick to it in flight. Last night I set everything up to try and paper tune it. After a few shots through paper it was ripping to the right pretty bad. Tried moving my rest to the right and it didnt do anything, so i played around with it for a while and it and it didnt impove or get worse. Any ideas what else could be wrong? I shot enough arrows where i would of noticed if it was hitting anywhere.
    PSE DNA
    65lbs 26.5" draw
    Beman mfx 400 arrow

2. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Paper tuning is fun :)
    It takes a while to stop adjust roll out more paper but its so worth getting good arrow release/flight. Maybe your arrow spine is too weak/strong, or try bringing your rest to the left ? Also check your form, torquing the bow or string at full draw will throw things askew also. Honestly it just takes some time and patience :)
    I give you props for even spending time to do it :)

3. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I made up a box where I could staple the paper to and shoot through, but arrow spine should be alright according to the Beman chart (it was fine with my last setup. Tried bringing the rest to the left just to see and it just made it worse. Form I'm gonna rule out because I haven't had a problem form in years. I'm thinking possible yoke tuning or timings off maybe

4. StringPuller#1

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you. Good luck with it. I secretly like when my set up is of.......then I get to spend hours tinkering around with it :)

5. StringPuller#1

Dislikes Received:
    I meant to say off, sorry I don't want to be the next victim of the spelling/grammar cops :)

6. Sean1

Sean1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried yoke tuning the bow?

7. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    No I don't have a press to do it, going to go to the pro shop tomorrow and see if that will help.
    Haha ya I seen that thread, but no one is perfect

8. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds to me like your vanes may be contacting your rest? Easy to check by sprinkling some baby powder on and around your rest. Shoot a couple times and look for areas of contact. Just an easy check to eliminate this possibility.

9. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like the same problem I had with an X-Force 7 a couple yrs back. I spent a lot of time on the phone with the PSE Tech and spent good coin on a bow press to tune it. No matter what I did,nock low and right would not go away.Even had a guy that was a tuning wiz scratching his head.I was beginning to spend more tuning that bow that what I paid for it so I dumped it and bought an APA Mamba M7 which is a 2 cam now. Tuning was a breeze with this bow.Maybe we got lemons from PSE because I'm sure there are many who love theirs.

10. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try yoke tuning. Yes you will need a press.
    When you shoot through the paper at the shop, make sure you're the one who shoots, and have him standing there to make sure you aren't torquing the bow. When switching up bows, it's easy to do.

Moving your rest on a dual cam bow is only for very minor adjustments. If it's well out of tune, you can move it any way you want and it won't make a difference.

Did you shoot it at the shop? Was it shooting right then?
    Always take as many shots as you can before you leave. Make sure it is perfect to your liking before you leave. Coming and going to get it perfect will only leave a sour taste in your mouth and have you guessing the bow / setup / workmanship (This is spoken out of experience).

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your torquing the bow, otherwise you would have seen some effect with the adjustments you made. This is a very common theme with paper tuning.

12. Sean1

Sean1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice

13. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much hit it right on, spent about 2.5 hours there yesterday plaing around with the yoke to get it perfect. I shot and he watched my form very carfully to make sure i wasnt doing anything abnormal. once said and done we where able to get it worked out.
    I did shoot a bunch before i left the shop the first time but in the 20 yard indoor range i couldnt notice it doing. It wasnt until i was outside at 30-40 yards when i noticed it.