Arrow Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MJF1229, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MJF1229

MJF1229 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have my arrows cut at 28" I have a set of older Rocky Mountain three blade 125gr broadheads i would like to use if i can. My question is with my set up is this an ok combination? Would it be better if i cut the arrows down some? Looking at other posts it seems as my arrow may be a little long as it seems a lot of others have their arrows 1-2 inches shorter than their DL.

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So there are many factors in this equation. Need some questions answered here. What are your specs? What bow are you shooting? What spine are your arrows?

3. MJF1229

MJF1229 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Its in my signature. 2012 PSE stinger 3g 60# 27"DL. Berman ICS bow hunter 400. They are 8.4gr per inch. Quad ultra rest hunter.

4. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That bow with those arrows should be able to handle those Muzzy broadheads just fine as long as you tune em out good. As far as the length of the arrows go it's all preference but I like for my inserts to be about 1/4 inch in front of my riser

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your fine in either case.

6. Jdicenhour

Jdicenhour Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Run it on my on target program an with that setup and your spine looks into be a little stiff but nothing to worry about for a hunting setup

7. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, figure that I would write on here instead of starting another thread since the OP has had his question answered.

Ill be running at a bow at 63 lbs, I have a 27" DL. What size arrows should I have and how many grains should it be?

And for fletchings, when I order them from the dealer, do they come with fletchings or do I put them on myself?

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't really have enough info...but most likely a .400 or .340 spine depending on the the length.....yes you can order arrows that are prefletched

9. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't see your sig using tap a talk bo. Your arrows will be fine.

10. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    How do I determine the length? And do I save any money buying pre fletched? Why doesn't everyone fletch it themselveS?

11. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Draw the bow back with one of the new arrow shafts on it. Have someone put a mark right about 1/4 inch in front of the riser on the shaft. Let it down slowly. That is where you want to cut your arrows.

12. Jdicenhour

Dislikes Received:
    cut your arrows somewhere within a half inch of the front of the riser depending on the type of broadhead an rest your shooting will tell you if you need longer or shorter. Drop away rest that riser in the last couple of inches usually need a longer arrow especially if using a fixed blade due to the broadhead hitting the riser before the rest is in the full upright position.
    If your shooting a rest like a qad or whisker biscuit then you can go shorter due to the arrow always being away from the riser shelf during the entire draw cycle.
    As for spine that depends on the cam style of your bow an arrow length you decide to go with.
    As for fletching your own arrows I would say in the long run you would save money by doing it yourself

13. Jdicenhour

Dislikes Received:
    The reason cam style plays a part in picking the proper spine is due to the force the cam produces when released most of today high end bow have a very aggressive cam an need a 340 spine.

14. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Uh what do I cut them with? I was trying to order them pre cut from the company?

15. Jdicenhour

Dislikes Received:
    You use an arrow saw. Not to be rude but it really sounds like you need to go to a bow shop an have them help you out till you become more knowledgeable about arrow building

16. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Youre not, my biggest problem is that im in Afghanistan = ) Thats why im asking all of you = )

17. Jdicenhour

Dislikes Received:
    Yep that would be a slight problem lol. Send me a pm with your bow make an model an setup specs along with what arrow your thinking about using an I'll run it on my on target program an that way you can order them precut an fletched