GMO Salmon - Some major retailers say "no" although science says its ok

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by jackflap, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LFTB is merely a mechanical process to remove all of the meat from the bone. It is beef that is added to other trimmings along with fat. Where is the deception?

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trimmings at its best. At its worse, this gets mixed in with burger? I don't know about you but I don't want to eat that.

Attached Files:

3. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    Thats the same response I get from many of my non hinting friends when they have come bu when I am processing a deer and running it through the grinder.

Again, its all emotions...if it grosses you out, by all means dont eat it, but it is no worse or better than any of the other components that comprise ground beef.

God forbid if you saw the raw ingredients that goes into hot dogs, sausages and lunch meat.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Serious question. How do we plan on feeding the world's growing population without using GMOs?

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Asian Carp taste really really good actually.

It's just the damn stench and slime when pulling them in the boat that turns most away from ever trying them.

6. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the process of making sausage and such, especially hotdogs. I am not easily grossed out, that's not it. My issue is paying for expensive prime ground beef and having salvaged mush-meat mixed in that would otherwise become Alpo and without telling the consumer, that is deceitful. Same goes for Ethanol in my gas but they are at least required to post a label on the pump. Why not require such a label on meat that is going into our bodies? My reason for not eating beef is mainly because I just don't care for the taste, although I have taken some cattle to the slaughter house with my father in law that were so sick they couldn't stand up and they ran them right on through (more like slid them through) to be processed as beef for human consumption.

(Sorry for the run on sentence.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can you clarify this? Because I know at our grocery stores this does not exist in our fresh ground meats.

8. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    About what eating them? No whats wrong with eating them?

9. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    We've been cross breeding and trying to get the desired traits for years include people who believe in God. We did it with slaves, we do it with dogs, we do it with horses, we do it with fruits, we do it with vegetables.

If thats not what God intended, but people who worship God are doing it, well I don't know what to say.

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

This is the million dollar question.

11. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt you wouldn't do this. I am leary of news reports but I am pretty sure this one was legit because of the number of companies that either acknowledged it or said they will stop using it. Here's a link.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...und-beef-at-supermarkets-contains-pink-slime/

Edit: More information about restaurants and grocers who were using it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/pink-slime-fast-food_n_1237206.html

12. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy Man, I know you are well intended but your repsonse is exactly what I am talkning about. People take what the liberal media says as fact when in many cases such as this one, the media fabricates the whole the thing into a story that makes it sound like something wrong went on when it did not. Their "whistle blower" was a disgruntled X USDA employer. But there was nothing to whistle blow. Everything was and is still legal and safe.

ABC is being sued over the story and rightly so. It caused a company to go bankrupt and for over 700 people to lose their jobs.

Here is a link about the facts of LFTB or Pink Slime.
    http://www.beefisbeef.com/faq-3/

13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now this is my opinion only, but common sense like your example vs. opening DNA to alter the state
    of something is totally different ... you example anyone can do it and it is not messing with anything ...

how did we do it in the 80s?.....70s?.....60s...

I like Muzzy's idea of smoking them...I would be eating them all the time :p

how do you know?

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    There were a lot less mouths to feed.
    Here's a breakdown of the world population since 1950.
    1950 2,555,982,611
    1960 3,039,433,944
    1970 3,706,601,448
    1980 4,453,863,820
    1990 5,277,725,410
    2000 6,081,002,937
    2010 6,840,423,256
    2013 7,066,964,964
    2020 7,570,215,444 Projected
    2030 8,224,502,122 Projected
    2040 8,820,160,010 Projected
    2050 9,309,051,539 Projected

Source: http://www.npg.org/facts/world_pop_year.htm

There are nearly 2.5x as many people on the earth today as there was in 1960. It sure doesn't look like the worlds population is going to be eating any less in 2050 either.

Take a look at this graph....
    [​IMG]

Notice how the population is growing in the developing countries? That means that not only are there going to be more mouths to feed, but those people are also going to be demanding more food. I'll have to look through the back issues of my Vegetable Growers magazines and find the article that talks about this trend. It stated that even though the world's population will grow by 25% between now and 2050, the food demand will grow by 70% because those in the developing countries will demand more and better food. Cultural practices of the 60s, 70s and 80s won't be able to provide enough food.

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Because my family owns the grocery stores. Ground Chuck is Ground Chuck. Ground Round is Ground Round. Ground Ribeye is Ground Ribeye. We grind it, package it, wrap it and put it on display.

I worked in the family businesses for 10 years before I bought the resort in Canada and moved up there. So, I have a pretty good idea of what goes on.

16. chopayne

Dislikes Received:

Like Dan said, alot smaller population. Growing times, have to change with it.

17. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Again... my problem is not with the LFTB... it is the withheld labeling information. There is but one reason to not tell people that it is in there... they know people wouldn't buy it. If someone wants to buy it in Tokyo... sell it to them.

18. Saskassasin

Saskassasin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I farm a 3000 acre farm and have given a lot of thought to this.

More and more it is going to involve changing the types of foods we eat.

if we grow wheat and get a 40 bushel crop at almost 60 pounds a bushel we are looking at around 2400 pounds of wheat per acres.....beets can produce 30 tones an acre or around 60,000 pounds. that is 30 times the weight.

We grow millions and millions of acres of crops like barley and hay and silage crops to feed cattle, in the future that will happen less and less as they resources put into cattle will just become to expensive and the cost will keep rising and rising.

there are certain strains of algae that you can live on as a complete ballanced diet. all it takes is a that algae in a tank and sunlight to produce. when we start reaching huge numbers of people on earth (100 billion) we will be doing stuff like that.

No one said it would be like eating t-bone streaks, but we cant look at it like "how do we sustain our current gluttony?". eventually we will be looking at it like "how do we eat anything". as it takes ore and more resources it will just cost too much to eat the way we do now.

"Vegetable Growers magazines and find the article that talks about this trend. It stated that even though the world's population will grow by 25% between now and 2050, the food demand will grow by 70% because those in the developing countries will demand more and better food. Cultural practices of the 60s, 70s and 80s won't be able to provide enough food."

they can demand all they want , until they start making enough money to pay for the high cost of food production they are not getting anything. as the demand goes up food prices will skyrocket, and I can guarantee that.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  19. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have to laugh about the FDA, the good ol' Food and Drug Administration. A for-profit organization that isn't even a government organization. The FDA is paid off by drug companies and other food companies to approve their products, they aren't looking out for you or me, they are simply in it to make money. The FDA says fluoride is good for us too and that's as big a lie as exists. Think of all the perscription drugs that have been okayed and have life altering side-affects.

20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I agree 1000% with this.