hunting arrow for compound

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Meat Hunter, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a martin onza 3, it only has a 60lb pull and i am looking for suggestions on a lighter weight hunting arrow for it to keep my speed up a little. Im 43 and just started deer hunting 2 years ago with crossbows, got an old pse in a trade and found the compound pretty easy and fun to shoot, so i up graded. I plan on hunting deer with this in the fall, plus my other bows. Looking to save some headaches by asking folks that have been doing this for a while. thanks

2. pocketgunner

pocketgunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon express maxima hunter if you want to spend some good coin on arrows, Gold Tip hunter xt if your looking for a less expensive option

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. Meat Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for response, i had my eyes on the gold tip, think ill try them to start.

5. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BEEMAN ICS 340's is what I use. They'd work for you too and are great arrow for a good price. There are obviously more expensive ones but if cash factors in, you can't go wrong with them.

6. pocketgunner

pocketgunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Gold tip hunter xt is what I'm actually switching too, good arrow for the money

7. okdeerhunter

okdeerhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Black eagle carnivores show some promising traits they are tough an fly extremely well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

8. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  9. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    be sure to get the arrows' spine matched to your bow set up. It is important & will affect the way they fly. Obviously cost is always an issue, but if you intend to keep that bow for awhile, spend the money on good arrows vs thowing away good money on cheap one.

10. Meat Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    not sure what you mean by that, dont know all the lingo for vert bows. I notice what im shooting now i have some shoot different, a couple are hitting the same, but in pairs. Two shoot the same, then two more shoot the same. Wasnt worried about it cause they all group within the width of my palm at 30 yards.

11. pocketgunner

pocketgunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's prolly more you than the arrow. What he means is if the spine is too stiff or too weak the arrow will react a certain way out of the bow. I'd look at the arrow chart on Gold Tips website and look up your draw weight and length and it'll tell you what is the range of spines you can shoot. Like for me I have to shoot the 7595 spine due to my 28" DL and 72# draw weight

12. shaner72

shaner72 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Easton FMJ Arrows are what you should look at. They are great for hunting becuase of the hard hitting an penitration they offer. I use a 400gr arrow with 100gr broad head I use the Hoyt Spyder 30 set at 60lb 28''draw. And that = DEADLY

13. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Word of word. Just make sure you have the right poundage and draw length when selecting. Also don't buy into the speed thing, What takes down animals is Kinetic Energy and penetration. All speed does is give you a flatter trajectory.

14. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Speed shouldn't be completely discounted, it is part of the penetration equation and may give a slightly flatter trajectory though probably not even discernible. A real concern in spine, and weight configuration is the amount of noise a bow will produce when fired. Give me a quiet, accurate, slightly slower (usually not more than a couple feet per second) bow any day. One thing to remember, a correctly spined arrow with the correct FOC, even if it is overall heavier, will usually fly significantly faster than a lighter arrow that is inproperly matched and all that extra cash you spent for 3 more feet per second will have been wasted.

15. centralNJguy

centralNJguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys end up paying for the Hunter XT's?

EDIT
    Scratch that, according to their site there is no one even close to where I live that sells them. My options locally seem to be Easton, Carbon Express or Beman

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  16. pocketgunner

pocketgunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So order them online. Hunterfriend.com or a number of other sites will cut arrows to a specified length prior to shipping. I know some will cut, install inserts and fletch in any configuration you like. It's nice because you open the gift your ups or mail man leaves and can walk to the back yard to shoot same day.
    I personally buy my arrows online eBay actually because there isn't a single shop around here that I can get them anywhere close to the price ill pay on eBay.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These are good arrows!

18. Meat Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    went with the gold tip, have to get them cut when i get them. But got a dozen, so should be good for a while. got mine for 80.00 free shipping