Where to aim at a turkey.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Muzzy Man, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What say ye experts? I have never shot one with a bow but plan to try it this year. Where is the sweet spot?

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The head and neck offers the largest vital kill area on a turkey. It is larger in terms of square inches of area than the internal organs. It is also the easiest target to identify in the woods because of its distinct color and contrast to anything else around. Body shots will work, but the point of aim is always changing because the turkey's body is changing. Feathers go up, go down, the bird moves or rotates. Body shots are very deceiving, often resulting in a lost bird or a difficult trailing job. Also there is often a lot of meat loss with a body shot bird. Head/neck shots there is zero meat loss, almost never a tracking job of more than a couple feet, and it is hit or miss.

It is honestly the easiest shot to make in all of bow hunting too. 10-15 yards head and neck. I will take that every day of the week over a deer broadside at 20 yards. It all comes back to that very distinct and identifiable point of aim.

Go with a head chopping turkey broad head that a couple manufactures offer. They fly great and they are devastating.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any special tuning required? How do you sight in? They look like they would break if shot at a target.

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here you go. Very easy to tune and sight in. LIFETIME replacement warranty ... you break/bend/damage the head at any times they replace them free of charge.

5. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty awesome and great videos, too. What do they tend to run in price?

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Head shots are just simply the best and most effective way to go. I've lost count the number of turkeys that I have killed over the years now between shotgun, bow body shots, and bow head/neck shots. I can tell you that the only time that I have ever lost a turkey has been on bow body shots. I actually lost more than I ever recovered, which I own up to that is all a "me" issue. If guys can consistently anchor them with body shots, that is awesome, but too many birds year in and year out are lost to poor shot placement. I actually witnessed a buddy shoot one in the body that we did not find for several hours and was still alive when we found it. The damage to the meat was so bad that we had to throw out 2/3 to 3/4 of it because the turkey had been rotting while it was still alive from gut material that had gotten into the meat. He felt sick about it and it was at that moment that I decided never again was I going to body shoot one. I have never missed and I have never lost one to a head/neck shot. The misses that I have witnessed the turkeys walked away unharmed to play another day. And honestly it is "So simple a kid can do it". That is my daughter in that new commercial for Magnus. She is now 11 years old and has killed two wild turkeys with Bullheads.

7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    $40 a 3 pack for the heads or $50 for a two head and two arrow pack.

But you also have to remember that they come with a 100% no questions asked lifetime replacement warranty. So unless you lose one, in theory when you buy them you are done buying broadheads. You will bend a blade or two at times. It is going to happen. Just take a photo of it, email it to Mike Sohm at Magnus, and he sends you a new one. No questions asked.

The broadheads are extremely durable given what they are. I've shot some into pillows dozens of times without a bent blade. I've taken turkey's heads off with out a bent blade. Other times you get a bent or even broken blade. But again ... Mike replaces them for free. And there are extra blades in the package when you buy them.:rock:

8. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome info... thanks. I was concerned about trying to shoot an apple size target (vital organs) that I can't even see behind all those feathers and losing the bird. Secondly shooting a BH through the only real meat on the bird seems pretty wasteful and, frankly, irresponsible as well. The "decapitator" style head definitely makes the most sense to me. I started hunting some new property last deer season and it was loaded with turkeys, so I am hoping I will be able to find them again next week when the season opens.

9. Dr.Death

Dr.Death Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Videos!!!!!! definitely buying a pack of these!

10. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the guillotine broad heads there insane and I mean insane! I don't know if i can post a video (for legal web reasons) but there's a video on YouTube were it literally decapitates the turkeys head. There huge broad heads