Deep Sea Fishing in Florida

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by indynotch50, Feb 26, 2013.

1. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, well my family was talking at dinner and we think we're all going to Florida over the first week of July. My brother and I have never been deep sea fishing and it's something I would really like to do. We're going to be in the Ft. Walton / Destin area.
    I'm going to do some online research, but if any of you know anyone or have any experiences, tips... ect, would like to hear what you have to say.

2. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to Louisiana. A lot better fishing and possibilities. But... if you go to do Florida/Destin area Check for times. Lots of red snapper there and there really aren't many fish that taste as good.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the east coast where the sea gets a lot deeper so I couldn't give you any advise about the gulf.

4. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have done a lot of Fishing out of the Gulf. your best bet is to find a really good guide and get ready for a long run. I normally go out of Steinhatchee which is at the southern end of the big bend and we have to go out 20-30 miles to get into deep water. will be about the same for Destin. You can also do some kayak fishing in the bays and such. the best deep water fishing is in south florida from the Keys to Ft. Lauderdale. St Aug and Daytona aren't bad either. You will be doing mostly bottom fishing in th gulf for grouper and snappers. Hope that helps.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is July snapper season?

And I'm ashamed to say that I've never been offshore fishing. Just don't know anyone with a boat and from everything I've heard, I'd rather fish the marsh or inshore.

6. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What bad things have you heard? I've been looking to plan an extended weekend trip with my college buddies to NO to do some off shore fishing and see what the city has to offer. Of course we're going to plan this in Oct and swing north for an LSU game. Interested to see why we may need to do something else beside offshore fishing.

7. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just that for the cost, it's not that much better than inshore fishing. You will catch a more variety of fish, but it's not really "fishing". It's just tight lining on the bottom around oil rigs mostly. I would love to do it eventually, and I'm sure it is a great time. But I'm not sure it worth the price over marsh or inshore fishing.

Let me know when you go to NOLA and I will steer you in the right direction as for things to do.

8. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I didn't think it would be THAT much. The price for 4 hours is the same as the room costs for a week! Ridiculous.

9. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, we were planning on doing the trip this year until my gf's brother decided to have his bachelor party this August in Dallas. Plus side is that we'll be seeing a LSU v TCU football game...downside, it's Dallas in August. Looks like NOLA will need to wait another year.

10. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yup.. ocean fishing is expensive. Normal rates are like $1200 for up to 6 people for 8 hours. I go to Canada every year for walleye fishing. It cost me $1200 plus tips for a boat, fuel, meal, maid service and great accomodations on an island with about 30 other fun folks. Check it out. This will be our 10th year in a row. We only have 3 in our group this year. Usually we drag along 4 so we have 2 boats and all that. With 3 we can still have to boat or opt for one of the larger Rebels with 3 seats.

http://island10.com/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  11. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well a world record Warsaw grouper was caught of destin. So I guess fishing might be good, but expensive

12. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Idk what they have down there or anything, but if any of them offer Wahoo fishing, and you plan on eating what you catch, go for that!!! My parents got back from Key West a month ago with some of that, and it has me wanting to move there...bad! Im addicted to the stuff and its no where to be found up here! Its the best eating fish I ever had...yes better then walleye, catfish, salmon, pike, trout, mahi mahi, or anything else Ive ever had. Its amazing!

13. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should call my cousin in Mexico Beach... Its a bit east of Ft Walton but away from the crowds.

Captain Chuck Guilford
    P.O. Box 13335,
    Mexico Beach, FL 32410
    Phone: (850) 648-8211
    Fax: 648-2176
    E-mail: [email protected]