Law Student protects his gun rights

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Germ, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Let's face facts here - this video is of some punk kid who thinks he's smart trying to make a cop look like an idiot just so he can get his 15 minutes of Internet fame. Period. It's not about rights or the police trying to deny those rights.

What would most normal people do in this situation? One of two things - give the cop their ID and be cool with them because they're not doing anything wrong, or at the very least be cool with the cop about how and why they don't want to show ID. Most people aren't going to spout off court case rulings, repeatedly ask the cop the same question over and over, or generally act like he needs a good punch to the throat.

There's a big difference between an unprovoked confrontation with a cop who is in the wrong and overstepping his bounds, and this situation where nimble nuts college kid decides to provoke cop into confrontation for his own self gratification.

Watching this video makes me wish I could go back in time 10 or 15 years and kick my own *** for acting like this.

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    he didnt have a hidden camera...you can tell its a cell phone video. I wasnt there so of course I cant say for sure, but I would bet that after the cop stopped him and took the gun, he pulled out his phone so there was video to protect him. I would have done the same thing. In the video hes asking for his gun back more then once, so its clear the situation had been going on before the video was started.

3. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Okay so what happens if the cop suspects he is a felon? Can he then request to see his ID? Or is the cop still wrong?

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the cop suspects a crime (which a felon carrying would be a crime) he state the what he believes the crime is.. and rightfully ask for ID.

He can't just ask for ID willy nilly.

Sure, most of us would give him the ID but most of us are spineless sheep too. For folks like Justin who think you should just go to the back of the bus to avoid confrontation.. you don't have to worry about this happening in IL. It's a class 1 felony (15 years in prison) to record a cop in this state. Of course, it's unconstitutional... but gosh, to fight that would require some to know the law and be willing to stand up to the 'authorities'. ;)

heh heh heh

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Whether he was right or wrong, you can't deny the fact that this kid is a d-bag. Even you can admit that Christine.

6. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Getting lippy with most police officers in my area would earn you a nights stay in the county jail. I actually thought the cop handled himself pretty well considering the way that kid was acting.

7. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Sure he's d-bag. But he's in the right.

Rosa Parks was actually breaking a law. But she was still in the right too.

I can't condemn people with a backbone for real civil rights no matter how d-baggy they might be.

8. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Sure, this is the way it often happens... but if no crime is committed, is it right? I have a lot of respect cops but I don't think we should just look the other way for 'Contempt of Cop' punishments.

9. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

No, it isn't right. But respect is a 2 way street. If he wouldn't have been a jerk to the cop, the whole encounter would have lasted a few seconds.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a guy the other day in a public restaurant with a gun on his hip. We are an open carry state and guess what? No one freaked out and not one cop questioned him.

sent from my samsung note 2

11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's what I think.

The kid was right if we go by the letter of the law, but I see the public safety concern the cop express. If the person was to go nuts, a lot of us here would have blamed the police for not doing anything. The cop is in a no win situation, I thought he handled it well.

As a ccw carrier I do not want to work against the police. I hope the police in my neighborhood sees a person walking down the street with a gun, he checks it out.

12. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If this is an open carry state which it looks like why would the cops just care? You look into it and move on

13. Saskassasin

Saskassasin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How dare you purposely wear shoes, clearly you are trying to provoke the police

It is legal, so what if the guy want to use his legal right to do anything. you are just assuming he is doing it to provoke the police. but as cmonsta said

" Clearly this had been going on for some time because there is no video of the cop taking the gun in the first place. Im sure the kid after asking for it back and asking to go on his way, then decided to pull out his cell phone to make sure he had proof in case this cop continued."

the kid is going to be a layer, he know that in a court of law a video of what happened is worth any number of cops testifying to their version of the events.

14. Saskassasin

Dislikes Received:
    Most people call cops like that jack booted nazis. Nothing to do with law or justice, It is all about him and his giant ego. anything you say regarless of what is law or justice is trivial. Hitler would be proud.

and about the "No, it isn't right. But respect is a 2 way street. If he wouldn't have been a jerk to the cop, the whole encounter would have lasted a few seconds."

Is the officer continually ordering him to waive his rights being respectful?

15. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would hardly say the cop was being a "jackbooted nazi". I think the cop is in a no win situation. I'm not a cop, but if I were and I saw a guy walking down the street openly carrying I would check it out. That being said I live in a urban city where seeing a gun in public is not the norm. As comfortable as I might be with it you just aren't going to make the general population at ease with it. I don't necessarily agree, but that's the way it is.

16. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But you see thats the issue with the whole attempt to ban ARs and all that jaz. If the shooter in CT was legally carrying a gun and was stopped by a cop on his way to the school, do you really think checking his ID would have changed what happened? You are nuts if you think so. A criminal is not going to walk down the street waving a gun around. I spent a lot of time in bad areas of philly. Never seen a gun. But I can tell you more of them walked by me and drove by me then Cabelas has in their store. The cop was breaking the law by trying to force the guy into showing his ID and taking his firearm away. They should not be able to break the law just because some uneducated and ignorant person in town is scared of a gun. Instead, a much better use of our tax dollars would have been spent educating the caller that guns are not dangerous. Or, spent teaching this officer the law that he was breaking. I dont really see the guy as being a d bag or whatever else you wanna call him. I see him as a citizen who knew his rights and was frustrated at the fact that the people who were suppose to protect that right was instead breaking it. Again, I dont see any other way he could have got that point across. Sure, maybe if he said sir or please a few times. But thats about all. And as stated before, talking like that can get you locked up. Which is why he started rolling video, so that if the cop tried that wrong move, the guy had proof that the cop broke the law for his court case.

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stopping a guy carrying two handguns and a ar15, my guess is he would have been stopped.

The point is there is also the court of public opinion, who vote.

So does this guy help or hurt our community?

18. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt ask if he would get stopped. I asked how stopping him and checking his ID would make him go "you know what, since that cop knows I have a gun now, I wont go kill them kids, even though I plan on killing myself after so I wont go to jail either way". Stopping and checking ID does nothing and once again, its against the law there. And I dont see how he is helping or hurting the community. I dont see how hes hurting it by asking the cops there to follow the law.

19. Saskassasin

Dislikes Received:
    I was not even talking about the officer from the video... if you had read the post you would have seen that I was replying to

That is why I even included the quote in my most.

And why should I care if it puts someone at ease, the same used to be true about black people drinking at "the white mans " drinking fountain, or gay people or protestants fighting roman catholics or a million other things that are "normal" and people should not do anything to rock the boat because it might bother someone

It boils down to Nobody is required to give a flying F#%^ about somebodies sensibilities. it is about the law and what is right.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  20. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Justin, kids a dbag.

While what he was doing is perfectly legal, it doesn't mean he cant be at least questioned (not detained) by police.

Same type of thing happens with me and EMS, somebody hears screaming or sees a car in the ditch, calls 911, we get dispatched and have some type of thought process in our heads as to whats going on (Assault, domestic violence, bad MVC), arrive on scene only to discover it is not what we thought. We have the RIGHT to ask questions in this case, because we are legally bound to (We cannot touch the individuals). The police officer has the right to inquire about the gun because the person is in PUBLIC and SOMEBODY CALLED. He is trained to always check a weapon, so he did so.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013