Why do you live where you do?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fact!

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I live in the same county as I was born in and about 10 minutes from where I graduated high school. My wife has been here for almost half her life and has a great teaching job and would lose a ton of income if we moved anywhere from here. We are about 15 miles SW of Baltimore, 35 mins from DC and have one of the best economic, housing and job markets in the entire country.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

3. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Because Uncle Sam made me move here

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The last few years, they haven't been long enough... :sad:

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No such thing :D

Seriously, I have no idea how you northerners do it. You probably think PA is a true southern climate:)

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Snowshoeing, skiing, icefishing, snowmobiling.....

It's also helps that the resort is slower in the winter, so we can actually travel more than 10 miles to see family & friends :tu:

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck no, but I wouldn't be moving for the weather. I'd do it in spite of the weather. lol

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Trevor, if it wasn't for the family thing, my wife was seriously considering doing a 5 year stint in Alaska. They certainly dangle a nice carrot in front of you to get Pharmacists up there.

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on where you live, for sure. Anchorage isn't much higher than the lower 48 averages anymore (5-10 years ago this was certainly not the case). With the down economy no one seems to be retiring currently, and the past 5-10 years there has been a huge influx of Pharmacy Schools watering down the profession (Freakin 6 of them in the state of TN alone now, which is a joke). The huge bonuses, and guaranteed high salaries are virtually non existent at the time being. It may balance it self out, depending on which direction healthcare in general goes from here.

I doubt I could stand to live in Timbuktu Alaska just for the much higher pay. I feel Anchorage is a good compromise to be somewhat close to all Alaska has to offer while stile having all the luxuries of a modern City that I've grown accustomed to here in Birmingham.

10. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm living at home (ma and pa's place) to save money. I like the area that I grew up in, but it's a cesspool of mediocrity, so I don't want to live in the immediate vicinity while I'm in 20s or 30s. It's cool, quiet, lots of open space, not a lot of people (all things I like), but those things will be here when I get older too.

I lived in Chicagoland for 6 months and really liked it up there, but I wouldn't want to move up and settle down there. I really liked the people, the energy, the attitude, etc. I lived about 40 minutes outside of the city, but lived in a small suburb away from it all, so it was cool. I also lived in Durham, NC for a year too. While I lived there I despised it. I was living in an apartment right tab in the middle of the city where police sirens and ambulances would sing me to sleep every night. I hated living in a city and not having the freedom I was accustomed to. That said, Raleigh-Durham is a pretty cool place to live for guys my age. Very modern and contemporary.

I've lived in the city, suburbs, and country. All in all, I'd still rather live in the country above anything else, but I'm not going to turn down an opportunity just because I don't like where I'd be living. There's a lot to see and do in the world and I want to experience as much of it as I can while I'm at the age where it makes sense to do so.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have friends in Durham. Don't like it either (they're teachers).

12. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Family, cost, values

13. chopperhound1971

chopperhound1971 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    work moved me out to the great wide nothing 5 years ago, must say I miss seeing real forests but damn the sunsets are awesome out here. very wide open large deer populations and only 3.5 million people in the state I am becoming a confirmed okie!

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was to move anywhere else it would be Middle Tennessee, or South western Ky, Northern AL. Not much on moving up North. You all make fun of the way I talk....lol. :sad:

15. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My parents moved up here a few years after I graduated and I followed a few years later for work. Dont love it here. Its nice and all, just not my cup of tea. Hope I can find work in another area in the next few years...well see.

16. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went to school here, graduated then got a job because I had a girlfriend. Don't like it here and plan to move in the next few years, thinking Western Montana at the moment.

17. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Born and raised in eastern OK. Most of mine an the wife's family are here. Have an awesome job (it's been especially nice while I'm putting her through nursing school). That being said in two years we would like to be out west. Either colorado where my dad and sisters live or Utah, wyoming, or Montana. Either of the 4 would be ok for us.

18. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is one I've spent a lot of time thinking about over the past 6 months as I considered a potential job move halfway across the country.

Ideally both Lisa and I want to be up north in the Adirondacks of NY. Unfortunately there aren't any jobs there that would sustain our lifestyle, and I don't have any skills or career options that can pay the bills in a very rural area unless I was able to work from home. Commuting into the Albany area from there would require 1-1.5 hours each way and ridiculous amounts of $$$ in gas money as well as wear and tear on a vehicle, not really a good option (although I know people that do it).

Right now we live where we do because it's close to an area that I'm pretty confident I can maintain the income needed to live the lifestyle that we are accustomed to, yet also close enough to be in the Adirondacks within an hour or so. Lisa's family is also in the southern Adirondacks and we are both very close to that side of the family so we can be there pretty quickly, but we both would rather live there than have to commute from the suburbs we are in now.

Long term, the only way I can think of to end up moving up there while still maintaining a secure source of income is to own a business. That requires $$$ and lots of it to get going, something I don't have now. Short term (3-5 years), I've got an opportunity to move halfway across the country to take on a new job challenge that should allow us to keep Lisa at home while also making enough $$$ to hopefully start or buy a business in the future when we come home. My hope is that this move will allow us someday to be able to move back to NY but further north and buy the home we always wanted while also giving me the financial opportunity to also become self employed. I hate the idea of moving away from my family and this part of the country but hopefully it pays off for us.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  19. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hope all of that works out for you!

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    X2, sounds like a solid plan.