Lets see your food plots...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Siman/OH, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Wired To Hunt

Wired To Hunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my 1.5 acre Whitetail Institute Winter Greens plot! Came in real nice, and was a honey hole all year. Saw 6 different mature michigan bucks while hunting near this plot, my best friend killed his first buck on it's way into the plot, and I killed 2 does on the plot in my last two nights of the season!

Screen shot 2012-11-12 at 10.56.53 PM.jpg

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As far as a bag mix goes Winter Greens seed choice is a good one and we had good germination and production the year we planted it! Congrats on a good year over that thing!

3. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

that there is a funny looking tree, we don't have any of them where I am from! and right now with 12 inches of snow on the ground a palm tree and a beach sound pretty good! lol

4. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    Greg I have grown chicory and clover together in plots in the woods very successfully. it is very similar to growing clover.

5. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    small clover plot
    [​IMG]
    1 acre u shaped brassica's plot surrounding a neck that sticks out of woods. the far end is a 1.5 acre soybean plot. It is all surrounded by Egyptian wheat to screen it in.
    [​IMG]
    this is a brassica's plot in the woods, when they get hungry they flock to these plots and dig for bulbs, great late season plots, especially if you can provide the comfort of cover, then they feel safe feeding in the daytime.
    [​IMG]
    same small brassica's plot in the cover, fifth day of gun season, three bucks are feeding in the plot at 2;45 in the afternoon (time says 3:45 but i never set it back for fallback) [​IMG]

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great pics everyone!

Pastorandrew...love that top clover plot. Is that effective may through octoberish?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Basically a good clover plot will flourish always except between the first frost in the fall through the last freeze in the spring/winter. Throw in chicory for diversity and you got yourself an "easy" plot if there is such a thing.

8. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    I have good luck with the clover, it is attractive almost all year round, its stays green into December or till the deer completely consume it off, greens up first thing in the spring, it will be utilized heavily from march through June, then from august to December

The only down side to clover I have found is the need to mow it last week or so of July for weed control. I only grow it where i can get my lawn mower to it.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    what clovers do you run pastor? Any specific seed kind you've had good luck with?

10. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy the sound of that. Like i said, im going to be planting 2 large plots this spring , and 2 smaller kill plots.

For the large ones, i just want it to be a "food source" may through October/November. Something "easy". I have a little room to do some experimentation if need be in one of the larger plots.

My two smaller plots are semi-shaded in the deeper woods. Those are going to be hand planted/tilled/seeded. "Kill plots".

11. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This all will be heavily documented, right?

12. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    So much so that you guys need to upgrade your internet now...

13. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Food source may-oct means beans. How big is the biggest "food" plot?

14. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Almost an acre...the one may be a little more.

There are Beans and Corn EVERYWHERE around me, i want to offer something green. A treat. My main food plot gets alot of sunshine and is flanked by corn on each side.

15. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Aerial view of my place. Food plot is the 3 toed field to the East. Long N to South is CRP (NWSG). I switch my food plot up every year to give variety and have tried a lot of the mixes. I mostly plant Round-Up Ready Beans and Corn for crops now and have some clover/chicory mixes and wheat/ turnips and radishes in fall.

[​IMG]

Some random pics over the years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Forget about may-aug waste of time.

Oats,planted in early sept.

Red zone planted in mid aug
    And some t nips for late.

17. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    John...we know how yours turned out ;)

18. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to look at the bag to remember. It was Ladino clover (which is a white clover) have had good success with it. Ladino is a large sized clover, meaning height. If you wanted a good mix I would get some mammoth clover, medium red clover, ladino clover and chicory. I used to grow that mix in almost all my plots, had great success with it. I will be planting one more plot into clover this spring. eliminated my clover plots that i couldn't get to to mow tired of weed whacking to kill competitive weeds almost a half acres worth. So now if i can't get to it to mow it on my zero turn I plant it to annuals.

19. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a complete newb at food plots, never planted one. I however plant a garden each year. I have some big woods that I have access to (1500 acres), that 10 people share. I want to put in some of these kill plots, deep in the middle of the woods. I don't have a tractor, but I have a good size tiller and and a couple of rangers to get whatever i need back deep. I can get access to a tractor is if was absolutely have too. Can you give me a step by step in putting in a kill plot? I will have to cut down trees etc.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    NC shoot me a pm and I can make a basic step by step. Don't worry about the tractor issue...all of our plots have never been touched by more than a garden rear-tined tiller to till it up, a garden tractor to roll or drag if needed this could be done by hand with a little redneck genius.