Ok prepper's and doomsday predictor's...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Feb 8, 2013.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm constantly seeing posts on FB (from my mother included) since Sandy Hook declaring the worst of times are ahead. The military is training to kill civilians, they're coming to storm our houses, take our guns, taxes are going to skyrocket, their will be food and energy rationing, etc, etc,. Essentially, Armageddon or the apocalypse without the religious element.

Now, I won't deny we're not in a great spot economically and politically, but I still don't buy into the massive fallout everyone predicts. Perhaps it's naivety, perhaps it's ignorance on my part, but I don't see it.

So I have to ask (and I apologize the stereotyping/labeling that my title implies), if you are one of the people who truly believes it's time to prepare for the worst, what are you doing? Because hording ammo, firearms, and canned goods, what possibly could you do to prepare for the worst of the worst? I suppose, more importantly, why would you?

Again, as I read this, it's coming across a little condescending, and I assure you, I don't mean it that way. I just want to hear people's thoughts beyond the predictions that are flooding social media and news article comments these days.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The owner of our resort says first thing he'd do is pack up the car and head up here.

I told him that he might not make it past our gate :evilgrin:

3. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Canning food and having plenty of ammo is common sense, hording stuff and burying stuff I find foolish, but taking care of your family should be every ones priority.
    Now if you live in a sub division your already two strikes down and you should pay attention to who's hording stuff so you can take their stuff when the **** hits the fan. :)

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good tip:D

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am probably not as extreme as you are looking for but I have taken some steps. I consider what I have done just to be good common sense to prepare for bad things. These things would not get me very far if things got bad. But to be honest, I’m not really a preper. I’m more of a contingency and mitigation resource type guy. Again, my plan pretty much sucks and would not provide for us if T.S.H.T.F.

I always keep a 6 gallon gas can full and ready to go. Every three months I pour it in my vehicle and then get fresh gas. This provides generator gas, gas to get somewhere, etc in an emergency.

I have a generator transfer switch wired into our house that I have described long ago here.
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/showth...d-up-installing-the-generator-transfer-switch

If this was an extended problem where rioting and bad stuff was happening I would take my 6 gallon gas can, pack up everything we could and drive up to the cabin. We would have unlimited heat with the wood burner and the woods we have. The propane tank up there would provide us to solvent for a couple of months at least with water and cooking. Even after that we could rig up some type of water extraction thing to get water as our well is only 55’ deep. The problem we would have would be food. We don’t have much food stockpiled in our freezer or canned goods. I’m sure if we were fugal we could make it last for our family for say a month but that is about it if we could keep all of it cold. Not sure how long the deer and other wildlife would last if anyone else was shooting them feeding their family.

I’ve thought about purchasing one of these for more reasons other than prepping. It’s just a darn good healthy idea. You can harvest your own seeds.
    http://www.majorprepper.com/family-survival-emergency-seed-bank-33-varieties/

Let me be clear. The only reason I don’t have a better plan is because I think the chances of needing it are slim to none. I’m not a prepper but I like to have options if some bad things happen.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in the 50s to the 80s it was the red army and the bomb they built bomb shelters did drills in schools thier is all ways going to be something for me i will take one day at a time and if something happens i will deal with then

7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't prepped at all....I'm not convinced that surviving would be a good thing if SHTF that bad? :)

I've actually have thought about doing some simple things like making sure I have a short term supply of drinking water and canned food if the need ever arrises but that would only last so long before running out

8. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MRE's for the family and ammo for me is all I care about. I have a small stash. I don't go crazy like I see some people do.

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm fully prepared to completely wing it Walking Dead style... Does that count?

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Preppers

more like retards

11. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever you store up will either run out or spoil sooner or later. There was a rich man once who stored all his goods in silos. He was so proud of himself but he died that night and someone else got all his stuff. With all his work to avoid dying, he missed living out his last days to the utmost with his friends and family.

12. CILhunter

CILhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really think Obama is going to send the Army/Homeland Security after us, and open up concentration camps. I do worry about civil unrest following the realization that the Governments (Federal and most States) have WAY over extended their credit, and no one is willing to lend more $$. Imagine if the benefits stopped flowing to those dependent on the government. I think things could get a little hairy for a while.

I personally keep plenty of food in the pantry, fridge and deep freeze, at least enough for a month (more in the deep freeze, only because I get a side of beef and hopefully a couple deer each year). If that ran out, or if things got dangerous at my place (I live on the edge of a medium sized city of about 100K people) I would take off for my parent's house in the woods, where there is a whole lot more food, wild game to hunt, and it would be a couple day walk from anything resembling a population center.

13. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going out with a bang, whether its in a fire fight or finding some naked party freaks to live it up before armageddon wipes us out. :evilgrin:

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My plan is to use my bow to silently take out some preppers and take over their stashes. Sames me the time and money of having to get ready now. :ninja:

15. s14slide

s14slide Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I prep. If history repeats itself, our country is overdue for a rollover. As hunters, we already have an advantage over the average citizen who relies on the giant logistics machine that is our modern food processing/distribution system. That said, and my experience travelling a lot of 3rd world countries, hunger and the will to survive is a strong motivator for common people to do things they would never normally think of. Prepping to me is independence from the tit of the government when it all goes down. And even if not in my lifetime, then I've raised my children to be prepared for the worst. Be it natural disaster or armagedden. Like condoms, its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2

16. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cats
    The wife and I started raising cats 2 years ago and now have just shy of 400. A good source of fur for coats, hats, gloves, get rid of the kittens and the milk is amazingly nutritious, the meat isn't just too bad and darn things practically feed themselves.
    [​IMG]

17. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the one dog in the pic. looks like he owns the joint.

18. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not preparing for the end of the world. I'm preparing for the day before.
    In good standing with the Creator,Ammo,Arrows,Water,Food,Gas for the generator and the list goes on and on.
    Considering diesel generator since the fuel last longer in the holding tank.
    After the end it's too late.

RC

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You all can hoard ammo and canned goods. When the SHTF, I'm just going to start whoring out my body. Women will die off first because they are the weakest, so I'm assuming some tight *** will be at a premium.

20. chopperhound1971

chopperhound1971 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have you ever tried to milk a cat they have ridiculously small nipples!