Current Lease Prices

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by CrabClawDude, Jan 15, 2013.

1. CrabClawDude

CrabClawDude Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If there is a current thread for this I appolagize and if someone could point me in the direction of that thread it would be appreciated! Otherwise if there is not for those who are leasing ground...what are the prices in your area landowners are getting for both wooded and tillable ground! Any info would be appreciated!!!:o

2. midnighthunter

midnighthunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had many leases throughout the years. It all depends on the deer quality and management. I also don't pay for 100 acres of open tillable land. I will be fair and pay for 3-5 acres of tillable that surrounds the timber or bedding areas such as CRP grass. I would say top dollar at this time is 18-22 dollars an acre. Average is 10-15 an acre, and if the ground is just horrible and has been over hunted, no management and will take a 2-3 year rebuilding the property isn't worth nothing to little maybe 5-8 acre. I like to see 3-5 shooter bucks for every 100-120 acres. This would be around 15-18 dollar mark, maybe more if the property promises high. This is for mid to southern iowa and my own personal opinions, I get some people that laugh at me and some I laugh at, most the time I can come to a reasonable agreement with the land owner.

3. Matt Jensen

Matt Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in my neck of the woods i pay $1000 for 180 acres of above average land, it is probably 70/30 open ground to wooded. only my dad and i hunt it and kill 2-3 shooters every year between the both of us. have harvested bucks in the 160 class range. but timber company land around my lease gets $1800 for 40 acres. i will never pay that kind of price, would rather go up north to the national forest and deal with low deer density numbers.

4. CrabClawDude

CrabClawDude Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for you input guys...I was thinking 10-13 in my area and I think Id be in the ball park on that!

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently paying $16 an acre. For quality land in KS

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are these prices per month?

7. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Generally it would be for the season or year.

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rates here are pretty high. Not because the land is good, but because there isnt a lot available since everyone seems to hunt. $25-30 an acre easy for land thats not even that great...

9. Ryguy3684

Ryguy3684 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Descent land in Virginia goes about $8-$10 per acre.

10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why would anyone pay to hunt ground in Bradford County, PA? There is TONS of quality land that is easy to get permission to hunt there and tons of decent public ground too. I have good friends that have killed multiple 100-130" bucks on both South and Armenia mountain.

11. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own a 101 acres here in Tennessee where I live. I also hunt it as well. Got a lot of Deer....This past season got 14 different bucks on camera and outta those 8 of them were nice ones. I also hunt another place that is 1100 acres and its a $250 a year with 4 other hunters....lots of deer on it as well. I guess it's more expensive up North. I assume cause the deer are so much larger than here. I have seen some 500 acres places that was up to $500 a year.

12. rybec2

rybec2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    25-50 an acre around me