Snake Protection

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by donut757, Jan 1, 2013.

1. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its cold here and snakes arent a problem this time a year. Once its warms up in the spring they will come out. I will be doing a lot of scouting and setting treestands this upcoming year at some new land that we started hunting. Of all the different pieces of land about 75% of them have swamp. Around here we mostly have Cottonmouths, Cooperheads, and maybe a rattle snake here or there.

I do not like snakes, not even a little bit. I am wanting to get a pair of the Rubber Snake Proof boots from cabelas or basspro. By getting the rubber boots it will serve as snake protection and a waterproof boots for the water and i can wear them bowhunting.

Getting a pair of snake gaiters, or chaps, had crossed my mind too. But not sure how much of a pain it would be to hunt in them and have to trek through the swampy areas.

How high would protection need to go? If i got gaiters or chaps would a normal pair of leather boots offer enough protection?

So if any of you could chime in with some experience with snake boots or snake protection i would greatly appreciate it.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Snakes completely freak me out! I think that depends on where you are at. A just below the knee boot I feel is more than adaquate for KS, MO, and NE as most our poisoness snaked are "ankle biters". Most boots state they are snake bite resistant which is enough to give me the comfort I need. If I hunted in areas with a high population in big rattlesnakes I would probably buy something specifc for that purpose such as a snake gaitors or chaps.

I have the Pronghorn GTX Snake Boots. I wear them during spring and in the fall. They are costly but you will get your moneys worth out of them. I find it humerous that alot of people will to spend $50 - 100 on a pair of tennis shoes our hiking boots but wont spend the extra money on a pair of boots when they will most likely last 5X as long if well cared for!

3. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    410 Judge or 22 with Snake shot would be my choice.

RC

4. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah i will have either 20 ga single shot, .357 or .22 with shotshell. But i would like some boots, or other protection, incase i do not see them and take a wrong step. Im sure my chance of doing that are slim, but im a little girl when it comes to snakes, i hate them

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted a full early season in a pair of the chaps, major rattle snake problem where I was hunting. I will say thankfully I never had to use them, but they absolutely burnt me up, my pants were soaked after every hunt. I later got a pair of rubber snake boots.

I would look into either boots or the gathers.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. AZChokester

AZChokester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have tons of snakes. I come across them all the time when hunting or scouting. I have some nice gaiters from Sportsmans Warehouse, I wear them when it is warm. I have never had an issue and it is usually the snakes last day on Earth.

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Rocky snake boots, I bought them for my New Mexico hunts I go on. They are almost knee high, very comfortable, and breath well. For the $$ I'd say the are a great boot. Also fairly waterproof

8. GDLT31

GDLT31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's not the snakes you see,it's the sneaky ones that I hate.For here in Florida I always wear my Rocky snake boots good protection to just below the knee.Now if is swampy and the waters up I still wear my Rockys but also put on a pair Rattlers brand chaps just to have a little more protection up higher on my legs.And I always pack a S&W Liteweight with snake shot for backup.