Concealed Carry

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by atlasman, Jan 1, 2013.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you guys are armed on a daily basis??

What are your preferences for weapon, holster, ammo??

If I leave the house I am carrying. My house is stocked with weapons of all kinds for home defense ranging from shotguns to handguns to 223's and some others. There is no where in my home we could get stuck without access to a weapon ready to rock. When I leave most days I have a 45 Springfield full of Hornady Zombie ammo in the paddle holster that came with the gun. Fits great and no print. The gun is great as there is no manual safety, just grip and trigger. Draw and pull trigger. Hornady critical defense Ammo (zombie) is pure devastation. Plenty of great bullets but these are hard to beat. Other days I will throw a sig sauer P238 on for a change of pace or if I am gonna be sitting a lot. I also carry a S+W Airweight 38 Special in my pocket sometimes if the wife doesn't have it. I have carried a Judge, a P22, some Glocks and stuff like that. The Springfield and Sig see most duty these days.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Working on purchasing my first. Not sure on what one yet.

3. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could carry but that aint happening here in MD, at least for now. I thought you made your own ammo? Is that just rifle/shotgun ammo?

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I normally only carry when there have been dogs running around on my property chasing deer. No favorite caliber for that. They all work.

5. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was very good. I laughed out loud.

6. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

7. VERMONTSTER_0341

VERMONTSTER_0341 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Carry 100% of the time, vermont's a constitutional carry state, thank god! Springfield XDm 3.8 .40. I've got my mags filled with 180g Federal hydra-shocks and Winchester PDX1's, alternated.

8. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    You still waiting on your permit dude??

They all have their ups and downs......the Springfield XDs is about as good as it gets for size, power, ease of use. Can carry it all day without ever knowing its there. My gun of choice for work. The Sig is Rediculously easy to carry as its palm sized and thin. It has night sights and check out YouTube for the damage a 380 defense round does. Lots of guys whine you have to carry a 45 for stopping power I have no issues with carrying the Sig and prefer my wife carries it when she is armed. It has a manual safety which I don't care for but the design of the gun is around the 1911 so not much you can do.

38 revolver is always a safe bet.

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao:

10. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Love Winchester PDX1 ammo.......my shotguns are alt with that and 00 buck and my Judge has a 410 alt with 45 Colt along with a laser grip.

11. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I submitted my CCW form Sunday, have to go this week and get printed / paid.

I'm not sure which I will choose to carry yet. I really like the XDM SC in .40.
    However, I am going to do more research on some CZs, FNs, Walthers, and Kahrs

12. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

All solid choices.....not cz fan myself. My next gun may be a Kimber 1911 but I prefer handguns these days I can carry if I choose. Full 1911 is not that gun for me.

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I carry everyday I can, Sundays are out as our church is also a school and I still haven't seek 100% knowledge on whether here in IN it'd be legal for me with permission from the parish. My daily carry is usually a P3AT as I work in a high traffic area for the local government (County Assessors Office). The pocket carry ability allows me ease of mind and my co-workers non-thewiser...even can carry while out in the field measuring and picking up permit work.

I like you have quite a few weapons as well, but no longer any assault style weapons as their practicality just didn't exist...switched to only hunting weapons and handguns as well.

I buy way too many guns it seems...but hey it's a fun hobby to have :) haha!

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No, I've had my carry permit since, July. Just no carry gun to go along with it:D

I've held about all of the guns I will need to hold at this point, now it's just time to make a decision.

Liked the P238 size and weight, but not the price tag.

Really liked the Kahr PM9.

Loved the Bersa Thunder 380, just a little large for pocket carry.

Kel Tec PF9 was also pretty decent.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you do get a Kel Tec PF9 or P3AT I'd encourage ya to experiment with the Hogue Jr. Grip installed on one. Best $15 I spent on my PF9 I still wish I had. :D

16. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had my concealed carry permit since july and have yet to carry. I have had a glock model 22 for quite a while and recently purchased a blackhawk sportster holster. I should start carrying I am just not comfortable with it yet.

17. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't carry every day as I'm still waiting to be eligible to get my restriction removed. In our county you need the permit for a full year before you qualify and can start the process. I can still carry a good bit though as we are usually in the country on weekends and the judge told me he's comfortable with me carrying if I don't have a cell phone signal or if I'm outdoors camping, fishing, hiking, etc.

I've got a Dan Wesson Guardian in .45 and just picked up a Sig P238 a couple of weeks ago that will be my daily carry gun once my restriction is removed. If you are considering a 1911 Atlas, I'd strongly encourage you to look at a Dan Wesson. They are made right in Greenwich NY, one of my good buddies is a gun builder there and short of spending $3k+ on a true custom 1911 it's hard to find more gun. They literally hand fit and blend every piece on the gun, and unlike Kimber there are absolutely no MIM parts in it. I've handled Wilsons and Nighthawks in the $2.5k+ range and they aren't any tighter and don't have nicer triggers than my gun.

I have carried my Guardian a lot while hiking, camping, and fishing this year. I have a pretty cheap Galco Concealable holster for it that I like. It does expose the bottom of the barrel unless you have a long shirt on, but if you have a hoodie or flannel on over a tshirt it's comfortable and doesn't really print unless I bend over. When plinking I've got a bunch of Sellier & Bellot FMJ rounds that are really accurate and have reloadable brass I've been saving. When carrying I've been using Hornady 200gr +P XTP loads. To be honest the 200gr +P loads aren't very accurate, it shoots the FMJ loads much better, I just haven't had time to figure out what it likes best for a carry load. I just picked up a die set for it so I my roll my own.

I did get to carry my new P238 this weekend to break in the new holster I got. I ordered a McCabe's Custom Leather IWB holster for it. Once I got the clip angle adjusted right it was really comfortable, even if I was sitting on a bench seat in a Ranger, I imagine it will be comfortable in a vehicle too.

Regarding PDX-1 ammo......this weekend I was shooting the P238 with my father inlaw in the woods and had one that must not of had a powder charge, just a primer. About 3 shells into the magazine a round made a quiet pop and luckily I realized it and pulled the gun apart before sending another downrange. The bullet was lodged in the barrel. I can't say I'll ever buy this stuff again, had that of occurred while I was messing around and doing a double tap it could have been a disaster. I also have Speer Golt Dot's for the P238 and after almost 50 rounds of these Gold Dots they run through it flawless and are very accurate. I can easily shoot it into a 2-3" group at 10 yards.

[​IMG]

18. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Me too.

19. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I carry both open and concealed a lot but not everyday.
    .38spl, 5 shot, hydra shocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been looking for a M&P shield... but anywhere that does have them are gouging like crazy, $630 for a $450 msrp gun.... I'm looking to just "settle" with a SCCY CPX or a PF9, LC9, etc. Until they become readily available.

I can get a CPX for $260 and most of the reviews are great... The measurements compare to the others but is double stack, comes with two mags from the factory and 100% USA.

After that... I plan on carrying all the time.

I've carried before... but I'll be honest I didn't like it...

I had this constant subconscious/paranoid feeling when I carry... is this normal... does it go away with time? I really want to carry again while feeling normal.