What Would You Do??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jmbuckhunter, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why? I am not the one making empty threats ;) . Addresses are easy to find and, if you ever want to do more than make empty threats, look me up and come on down. Oh, and bring the dogs too :) .

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    John, I would take that video of the deer kill down to your local animal control officer along with pictures of the dogs on their own property and their owners name/address. File a charge. And keep filing charges. Over and over and over.

3. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope no kids. And i am sure that is one reason my dogs are so dear to me.

Even the best parents in the world can not always control or protect their children.
    I guess what i am saying bruce is that if that was the case kids would never get hurt...at least from doing that stupid thing they had been told not to do .
    Then I am just relating it back to the dogs.......
    Not trying to single you out or nothing like that.
    Understand where i am coming from ?

4. dprsdhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes he should.........as i stated it is in the Illnois hunting digest that it is unlawfull to aloow your dog to chase or kill deer.
    He should stand a good chance of getting things handled in the proper manner

5. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Sure you are.........I'm not hard to find, I'll leave the light on for ya. Oh, and bring the kids too :)

6. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder how many tough guys would be so accepting of the consequences if their kid wandered across the property line and was mauled or killed by a neighbors dog.

Bet they wouldn't be so eager to dismiss the incident as the kids fault.

7. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely. And what I said a while ago is that we are not talking about any of the situations you described, we are talking about irresponsible dog owners and chronic trouble from those dogs. Everyone has said, multiple times, that they would make multiple attempts to get the dogs' owner to rectify the problem and, only if the owner did not care enough about their dogs to protect them, only then would they take matters into their own hands.
    Understand where we are coming from?

8. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    It would be the child's parents fault for allowing their child to do that. It certainly wouldn't be the dog's fault.

9. dprsdhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup were good.

Still there are those that would just shoot a dog for being out there.
    Still personally I wouldnt shoot the dog after attempting to resolve the issue otherwise.
    i hunt near some populated areas and shooting a pet would have pretty negative results .

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  10. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Then why do they always put the dog down?

You say that everyone would just handle it so matter of factly, in a calm rational manner. Someone's dog mauls a kid to death and I doubt the usual response produced would be "well the kid got out and crossed the property line so the dog was not at fault for killing him"

11. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    Because, for some/most, it easier to blame the dog than accept responsibility for your childs death. I have read instances where the people accepted responsibility and the dog did not die but they are the exception, not the rule.
    Of course that is not the usual response but it is the correct one. Also, I did not say everyone would handle it matter of factly, in a calm rational manner. I said it would be the parent's fault, not the dog's.

12. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

What we said a while ago is that we are not talking about any of the situations you described. We are talking about irresponsible "hunters" and chronic trouble from those dolts. Everyone has said multiple times that they do everything in their power to avoid such a problem and only if the "hunter" did not care enough for someone's pet/family member......only then would they take matters into their own hands.

Understand where we are coming from?

13. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    I think many of us made that clear some pages ago but, if not, then yes. We were referencing the original post, which is what the thread was about, and it did not have the scenario(s) you are describing. Perhaps it would have been better to start a thread about irresponsible "hunters", dolts and rarely wandering dogs than to try and make this thread about that.

14. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

The vast majority of cases the dog suffers for the stupidity of the people involved.

Don't anyone mistake my stance as sticking up for wild, mean, dangerous, destructive and potentially deadly wild dogs. I'd put a bullet in them in a heartbeat if I thought me or my family were in danger. I concealed carry a 45 ACP 24/7 because you just never know.

The problem results from people lumping all dogs into that category and shooting first without knowing anything but they saw a dog in the woods.

15. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    I have been involved with Rottweilers for a long time and, at times, heavily involved. I have intimate knowledge of this. The fact of the matter is that animals always suffer from the stupidity of people long before people suffer from the stupidity of people.

16. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

The OP asked "what would you do??" Some advised he shoot the dogs and others informed him of the possible consequences of such action.

The rest was a predictable idiotic Internet pissing match because its January and everyone is bored.

17. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As bad as I hate to, I agree with this 100%.....I love my dog...WAY...more than I love you, and you would be "SSS" if he came up missing....;)

And hell yes, I would love to have your address little buddy...You can PM it to me!!!!

18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

It wouldn't be long in my case...........which is all I tried to warn the OP about. Be VERY careful........as you never know how the owner of a dog you kill will respond.

19. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think anyone has said they have a shoot on sight mentality. Do some people yea, we had that around here couple years ago. Only becsuse there was someone who owned something like 15-20 dogs that continually ran and where destructive. So they got thinned out pretty quick. As far as this situation goes no I personally would feel no obligation to knocking on the owners door and telling him I shot his dog, if I've taken the time to go several times before expressing concern and calling cops or whoever then that's enough warning and it's no skin off my back if your missing your dog. I guess that makes me a coward but oh well.

Also since everyone wants to bring up well what if somebody's kids were running around on your property you wouldn't shoot them. No I wouldn't but after telling them the first time not to be messing around on what's not there's then yes after that I would take it upon myself to teach them to respect other people's property, something you has a parent failed at. Then yes you'd probably get a phone call and if didn't agree then that'd be something we'd haveta work out.

20. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Yup.

Come on up........I'll fire up the Big Green Egg and we can pull some 30lb kings out of the lake :)

Harley loves company.

PM sent

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.