Uncle!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Heckler, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I give in.... This is the first in 7 seasons I have not killed a buck. Season ends the 31st. I have been hitting it just as hard the last couple of weeks as I was pre-rut / rut. I have seen very little deer activity during daylight hours during the last 10 days.... and one buck at that, no less at 200+ yards.... Dang full moon!!! In the process of soaking the tag so I can swallow it! Dang it.... I am still scratching my head.... 20+ locations in some 6 different counties no less and I don't want to even add up the hours spent in the stand.

I think Justin's bad karma is wearing off on me! :o Until next year... Thats why they call it hunt 'en.

2. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im having the same luck that you are having. This is my first year not getting a buck in awhile also. Passed up a lot of smaller buck but never had the chance on a mature buck in bow range. Theres always next year... Lol!

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like last season for me.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it was a rough one on me man. I never put this much time on stand, had this many shooter bucks on cam, and still walked away empty. There's a couple more weeks but between the let down n the cold, I doubt ill hunt much.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here Heck...not quite 7 season but 5. Honestly I feel it'll make me do even more for next season!

6. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    THATS THE PROBLEM!!! Justins bad carma rubbed on me as well. I had a good run going to but havent put a good one down yet either!
    :moose:Thanks alot Justin!!

7. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So your blaming Justin. I am blaming Troy. He shot way too many critters this year, kept all the decent weather in Idaho and stole my good karma in the process. Darn you Pottenger !!! :bash:

Tim

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My goal for 2013 is to spend more time prepping... and less time in the stand! If I haven't killed a buck by Dec. 1 st of next year I will be really nervous!

9. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Im along the same lines. More trailcams, more mineral sites, setting up my foodplots. Working as hard as I can and money allows in the off season. My goal is a buck in the first 5 sits. Its your best chance, pressure hasnt been bad yet, they are still in their feeding modes, and should still be where the cams showed them. If I dont have a shooter buck figured out by the start of the season I will be worried.

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Heckler, what part of the state you huntin?

11. tc3144

tc3144 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna have to agree w ya too heck!! I've hunted more this year than any other year before, and have failed to harvest a buck. I have passed some really nice deer in hopes for a chance at a couple target bucks but it hasn't paid off. I can't decide if I'm going to stick it out another 20 days or start tearing up some geese. I am so anxious about prepping for next year an shed hunting and am already preparing for next year. Don't feel bad man!!!

12. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am making TAG SOUP today. The problem I have is I passed 15 different bucks and I do not care for TAG SOUP. Maybe next year I will be smarter....but I doubt it.

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly NE Kansas. Spent most of my time this year in Osage, Shawnee, Douglas, Wabaunsee, and Jackson County.

14. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, seen quite a few bucks in the rut, not close enuf to shoot. Now it's all about energy consumption. Hunt between the food sources and their bedding area, that's really the only effective way this time of yr. As for bucks, basically forget till next yr. They go nocturnal or very last light at minimum. I don't ever see any in the mornings.

15. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am from that area, and I would blame the dry weather. Also saw more one fawn does this year than ever

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think blue tongue some areas pretty hard. I talked to a guy that does horseback trail rides on pub ground around Pomona. He said they found over 50 dead before Oct. 1st. I have seen a unusually high doe to buck ratio this year. Seems 10+ does for every one buck. That’s 2x + of what I usually see! I have seen just the opposite on doe / fawns, doubles seem to be more common then single fawns.

17. Kansasbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know if it hit the perry area that hard as well? I never saw any large bucks this year, but I saw about one buck per 3 adult doe. very few young deer. largest buck I saw was just an average 3X3

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I hit Perry hard this year. May have run across each other and not even known it! I did see three exceptional bucks in this area. One of which was during peak rut, he blew by my stand at 5 yards chasin a hot doe. He was 80+ yards once I finally got him to stop long enough to get a real good look at him! He was a main frame 12. Probably scored 170+. I will say I had three cams in this area and the amount of buck movement during daylight hours for bucks was minimal. First time I have really hunted that area... Not sure if I will be back.. Seems like there is a overwhelming amount of hunting presure. Was run out of there a handful of times by some not so sprotman like hunters.

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Marion Co here I have no complaints about buck/doe ratio or any disease but I can tell ya things went south fast on one area i hunt once rifle opened up and the deer seem to have disappeared off that lease. All in all I had a pretty successful season.

20. Kansasbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Im sure that's my area. Its not the best, but Its near my house, and keeps my fuel costs down.

You would not have run across me, I do my best to avoid all humans while actually deer hunting.