Is 5 years old to young

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by michael_pearce, Dec 24, 2012.

1. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is 5.
    She says she wants to go sit in my blind with me to deer hunt in my bday. Do you think that is to young to go and watch or not.
    Opinions are great but experience is what I'm looking for

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely not. The key is not to expect them to sit too long and be sure they are warm. If they make a little extra noise, who cares? Just teach her what you're doing and let her enjoy herself.

I took my son out for the first time during the WI gun season of 2011, he was 4. We didn't get in the blind until almost 1.5 hours before dark. Towards last light he saw a couple deer walk into the plot and asked me to shoot one. I knew it was a fawn, but I didn't care. I was using my ML and after the shot the first thing he said was "Dad, I like the sound of your gun and the smoke." He loved it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, my daughter is turning 4 in January. Since she first started talkin she has always asked but I've never taken her out other then to check cameras or put down feed. I was tryin to put it off till she was 6 but maybe the sooner the better by the looks of it hahaha! Anymore tips on how to keep em occupied an interested while out?

4. grizzwald22

grizzwald22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^Totally Agree

My daughter just turned 4 and we check cameras together, she walks with me bird hunting, and this spring we are going turkey hunting together. I just make sure she is all bundled up, and carry more stuff, like juice or candy bars. My favorite part about hunting with her, is when she tries to walk really softly, but talks really loud about being sneaky:) The other day she and I went out and a covey of quail flew out from a plum thicket and she shouted "shoot'em daddy, shoot'em."

My only expectation is that we get to spend time together, she has fun, and she learns to enjoy hunting and being outside in the woods. Outside of that anything else that happens is a bonus.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope but enjoy the moment more than trying to do serious hunting. [​IMG]

6. Oh2b

Oh2b Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is 5 and my son is 3. This is the first year I've taken them hunting. Don't expect them to sit too long or be quiet but it is still fun. They havn't seen me shoot a deer but they both helped drag out and field dress a buddies deer. Bringing them can test your patience but it is worthwhile. Best of luck to ya.

7. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Started taking my daughter with me when she was 5. Like said above make sure they are comfortable & I had an old pair of binoculars to keep her occupied. We did that for 2 seasons & this year I bought a two person ladder stand & she really enjoyed that. Got her some camo & she was happy. Also helps when you see deer or other wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bone_driven

bone_driven Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i was around 5 when i first started going hunting with my dad. He used to let me take a bb gun and shoot at birds. I would sit there all day with him if i had my bb gun

9. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started out about 5 also...........carrying a bb gun behind my grandpa. for the first couple years it was unloaded . Everytime i tripped or pointed the gun his direction he would say "be more careful , you just shot me "

The unloaded gun sure taught me gun safety/proper handling

10. CrookedRiver

CrookedRiver Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I took my daughter who is 8 out with me to sit in The ground blind. As already sated they don't sit that long and they can't keep quiet. I took her out while it was still warmer. We didn't shoot anything that night but a friend shot a buck on another property. I told him we would come over and help him out. I wasn't sure about her and cutting open a deer. She was totally into it. She asked a million questions and wanted to take the heart with her to school the next day. I shouldn't have been suprised. Everytime I bring home dead animals she is in the bed of the truck touching their eyes mouths etc. I don't think I will bring her out again till next season when it is warmer. Looking forward to getting a chance to kill one with her.

11. michael_pearce

Dislikes Received:
    Well I took her for turkey this past spring and she did great. But this time I am taking along my shotgun and its colder out.
    But I fixed that I just bought a big heater buddy from cabelas to put in the blind and also got her some heavy weight thermals

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  13. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a duaghter who is five, son who is four and duaghter who is 2. my oldest has been hunting with me since she was one, she has been in the blind to witness the harvest of three mature bucks. two with a bow and one with gun. this fall they all started hunting with me together. me and three kids five and under in a rifle stand. what a deal. ours ussually looks like this, we go to the store get our snacks, and bug juice. then head to blind and they sit and eat then ussually take a nap. but they love it as long as its fun. it is alright to do just don't set high excpectations for the hunt. have fun and good luck!

14. tc3144

tc3144 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken my daughter to the duck Blum since 4 and she found her first shed just before her 4th bday. She is hooked on she's hunting and can't wait. Wants to go all year! Haha. My gf's son is 8 and has been Bowhunting w me since he was 6. He cannot sit still to save his life and we have yet to see a deer together. But the hints that the kids have been on have been the most memorable hunts I've had and would rather see them smile than me go alone a harvest a mature buck!! Last year, the boy was sitting w me and got bored...he looks at me and gives me the quiet sign...then walks incredibly slowly about 10 yards away(crunching every leaf he can on his way :)) and stops and looks around for a minute at least. Then he hastily walks back and sits down. He looks up at me and says, "I didn't see any over there either!" I thought I was going to fall out of my chair!!! Yea, my hunt was a bust, but it was sooooo awesome having him with me!!! I usually only take them when it's above 50. Good luck and have fun!!!

15. Minimaude13

Minimaude13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I take all my little cousins and i have a 15 yr old brother with downsyndrome who cant be quiet or sit still for nothing but i just enjoy taking em out and trying to teach them and let them see Gods beauty and how nature works

16. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a GREAT idea! Definetly going to try that!

17. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son was in a treestand for the first time when he was 3. We saw some does within 10 yards but he was more interested in all the squirrels that we were seeing. That hunting memory still makes me smile.

18. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think anyone can give an absolute answer except for yourself. You know your daughter better than any of us do, if she wants to go, and you think she can handle it, then take her with you!

I shot my first deer when I was 6 years old. I'm reading on here where parents are just letting their kids tag along at that age. Every kid is different, and every handles things differently.

Go with your gut :)

19. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sons are 3 (one soon to adopt and one biological) I get my son every other week but, I try to take them both out some. My biological is really quiet by nature and adopted is total opposite but, is understanding when we are in the woods. He whispers when I tell him to be quiet. Never stops talking but, does it quietly. I didn't take them this year but, next year we will be setting a blind up and taking them (my wife and me) out to sit.

20. michael_pearce

Dislikes Received:
    Well i will post some pics of her and I after we go this Friday. I think I am bit more excited about it than her. Friday will be my 40th bday and I just cant think of a better way to spend it