Lost another one

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grizzwald22, Dec 3, 2012.

1. grizzwald22

grizzwald22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well that sucks...

I have been hunting all season long and waiting to get a shot at one of the two bucks that were the dominate bucks on the property I have been hunting. In the span of 8 days they were both hit by vehicles, what makes it worse, is that someone decided to cut their antlers.

Well, it looks like I am doe hunting for the rest of the season, because I made a rule not harvest anything under 8 points, but I am hoping that the rest of the deer that come through my area will stay off the road.

To date, I have seen eight deer near the property I hunt killed by vehicles. Jokingly, I thought about stacking the dead deer in a pile to caution drivers to slow down, like those trashed cars you see on the highway to warn about drinking and driving. Although, I am seriously trying to figure out a way through the county or game and parks to post some sort of sign (more than the standard black and yellow one) that reinforces people to slow down and drive carefully, for their sakes and the deer.

Has anyone else lost the deer they were hunting to vehicles, or something other than their broadhead?

2. Ninja of the woods

Ninja of the woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you hunting in the ditch?

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does your property butt up to the interstate!? That really sucks and hang in there, hopfeully another buck will move in on some new territory. But dang man, you need a big fence or something!

5. grizzwald22

Dislikes Received:
    LOL no, but I should be.

6. grizzwald22

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt on the north side of picked corn field. On the south side of the corn field is the highway, and that highway also boarders a winter wheat field. The highway is used by a lot of semi trucks hauling stuff for local farmers, it is also SW Nebraska and the speed limit is 60, but most people travel between 65 & 70 mph.

My hope is that as the rut slows down and rifle season is over there will be less pressure, which will keep them from crossing over the highway as much.

7. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    C'mon, move the deer crossing sign to a safer place for the deer to cross. It's not rocket science!

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a tough one. If you have a stretch of highway like that on your property, its will be hard to keep them from crossing. What makes matters worse is when there is standing corn right next to a road. You can't see the deer until its too late.

9. Snap-On

Snap-On Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a stretch of highway near my place, I think my nice 6 point was just killed the other day by a car. Someone cut off the whole head so I dont know what the rack looked like...

10. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    HAHA Classic.