When the luster of the season wears of.... re-evaluating your goals and purpose

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent post Brett,,your right and I do it to sometimes. Just take a break and get refreshed. I was off for three weeks starting last week of Oct. The last day of that 3 weeks I broke and just couldnt make myself go that day, did some things around home and hung out with the family. Just that one day did me some good. as for hunting being so much more than just killing, I agree, I thank God sometimes for the things I get to experience and see while hunting. Every morning hunt when I first get settled in I love just sitting there staring at the stars and thinking, how many others are seeing the same thing and how many never experience it. I love life period!!

2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree here. Ive seen some things that are just plain amazing that i know not many people get to see. Sometimes the little things make a big impact.

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. Has it gotten too easy for you? If so maybe try to take up hunting with a recurve, maybe the added challenge will spark some new interest.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Josh! I was hoping some of us could do an out of state 5 day hunt next year and that you may join us. Maybe teaching others your methods and helping them in a working environment might bring back some excitement of the kill!

5. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One more doe scratched off the list. Think its time for a break need to wash all my camo. Plus all the hours on stand, work, and my fathers deteriorating health are starting to take there toll. Tough to see the man I look up to slowly becoming a dependent. Fresh tendorloins, BLP, and SOA for me tonight.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    **side note. Still pumped for this to workout.**

7. Tekel

Tekel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is only my 2nd season so I haven't got as hardcore as many, but my patience frays with just 4-5 sits and those are just saturdays. So I couldn't imagine weeks of several site per week with nothing.

I took off all thanksgiving week for rifle season and still only made it out 1 full day and 2 mornings before I was fed up.

I get so frustrated. I work all week and can only hunt Saturday. I don't know nearly enough and that adds to my frustration. This year I took a doe with my rifle and doubt I will make it out before season ends Dec.31.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Im very sorry to hear of your fathers health. My father is going to be 66 in January and he is slowing down as well.

9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Matt we are going to make this happen bud.

10. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now that sounds like fun. Count me in if it happens.

11. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On a side note, I did pick this bad boy up while hunting one day. Now this got me pretty excited!!!!

[​IMG]

12. tc3144

tc3144 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a great post that really really fits right in w me. This year I took two weeks off of my own hunting time to help a friend that is an outfitter. I ran clients to and from and also hung new set in different properties everyday. It really got me excited because in turn for helping I was allowed access to all the ground after they were done. This got me pumped for the rest of the season since I have basically lost all my other private ground due to it becoming over pressured. Frat night in Stand I bumped a 150" 10 out of a hedge row on my way in. Ugh! An absolute mega buck was 150 yds out in the field w a doe and I was praying while watching them in the binos that they would dad my way. While they were slowly working toward me a real nice 10 walked by at 8 yds. I reluctantly passed him because if the giant in the field. No shots the rest if the night. I've had some awesome times on hi other properties as well this year and can only hope that I still can connect w a good one. But as the season grows late, I find myself not being able to leave to go to the tree when my lil girl asks me to take her to school. Stayed home yesterday w the kids and this morning I got half way there and came home just to have that hour w my daughter before school. I know I will never get this time w her back and I can always hunt more later. It's tough but I wouldn't change me getting to see her smile at all !!! On a side note I am trying to acquire a property to lease for next year. If I do it's on like donkey long jack! It's like a mini deer circus on this ground!!! Goo luck everybody. There's still time!!!

13. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree 100%. Had a full moon on light snow this morning, beautiful. Followed by a beautiful colored sunrise. Made my day and didn't see a Dang deer!

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

14. Carl77

Carl77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    My energy levels have slowly crept back up over the past week. Up at 4am tomorrow morning trying to make it happen in the tough, pressured, post rut woods. KILL!

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there, I gotta wait till next week to to shotgun season but its the last one so that good.