Okay gun guys, I need help picking a caliber for predators.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Buck Magnet, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well it seems that the predator hunting bug has not only bit me, it has pretty much taken over haha. I have been using either my Remington 870 12 gauge or my Browning BLR .243 for my predator hunting but I am currently getting some info gathered and am trying to figure out what caliber I should get for my new predator hunting outfit. I am looking into several rifles including the TC Venture Predator, TC Icon, Howa Axiom, Howa Talon, Remington Model 700 SPS, and Tikka T3. My problem is trying to pick a caliber. I have been using a .243 and while I enjoy the knockdown power, I am not a fan of it blowing a fox entire chest off. I won't be doing any super long distance shooting, most shots will be 100 yards or less with a chance of shots out to 250 yards when hunting the national forest. I am looking at the two major calibers, the 22-250 and the .223 but I am also interested by the .204 Ruger and .221 Remington Fireball. Any info from guys that have used these calibers would be appreciated, the gun will be set up strictly for predator hunting (bobcat, fox, and coyote) and will be equipped with a Pentax Lightseeker scope and a Sheps Light Coyote TLR red light. Thanks in advance!

2. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the .223 is all you'll need especially inside 200 yards...I like my TC Encore in .223 and this caliber will be your cheapest option for ammo of the ones you listed. I think you could expect the same terminal performance as your .243 from the 22-250 with destroying a lot of hide value unless the right bullet is used but it shoots flat and reaches out a long way. Nothing wrong with the .204 or .221 from what I've seen or heard but the .223 will do nearly the same work as these two with(as I stated earlier) cheaper and more readily available ammo. I do think you could find a bullet for the .243 that would not expand or 'blow up' and not even have to purchase another rifle if you chose...I have hunted with a 6mm remington and like it for predators - shooting a handload boattail match hollow pt with slightly reduced velocity(down around the same as .243 velocity) or using FMJs which work fine as well -especially for fox.

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ I agree the. 223 would be my choice. Should be a great all around predator caliber.

4. StoneFenceFarm

StoneFenceFarm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    .223. The ammo variety is astounding.

5. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    .223 or if your really concerned about pelts savage .17 hornet is a nasty little round.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a .204. I don't so a lot of shooting so cost of ammo and availability isn't a concern. I couple boxes usually gets me through the season. I think its a perfect round, especially if you shoot a lot of smaller predators.

7. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    223 is what I use, I only shoot coyotes though. Never had a problem destroying pelts.

8. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I love predator hunting and I also use a .204 in a 40gr bullet, perfect round for coyotes and any other critters! I've never had a problem finding ammo and its not expensive. I use the Hornady and it comes in around $17 a box! I have shot dozens of yotes with my Savage and never lost one yet! The .204 will quickly reach out and touch one, I like the option of having the distance because you never know where you might go one day, better to have it then not have it!

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would not look at the .22-250 unless your shooting specifically yotes and frequently at distances over 300 yards. They will leave just as big of a hole in a fox as your current .243. Out of those two, I'd suggest the .223. It's a great round and I've killed dogs out to 400 yards with it. Practice ammo is cheap, and if you reload you can get some pretty impressive performance out of them too, I'm running 55gr VMax's out of mine at 3200fps and it just flattens dogs. I had a .204 as well at one point, and have read great things about both the .221 fireball as well, but I just don't think it's easy to do much better than the .223. JMHO.

10. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And don't sleep on the Savage rifles either! (Right Matty?) LOL
    Actually if it was me I would be looking at Savage FIRST and work my way back on rifle BRAND from there.....

Below is a 100 yard FIVE shot group out of my .223 Savage 10FP that I bought a few years ago from RJ. Good luck ever getting it back buddy. ;) And this was with FACTORY 55gr V-Max Hornady ammo.
    Take a dime out of your pocket and think about that group. While that's obviously an exceptional group, it will do darn near that all day long.
    I have it topped with a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 X40 with a fine crosshair/target dot reticle and it will cross I's and dot T's with the best of them.
    [​IMG]

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Someday I'm getting that one back......lol. :ninja:

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like my .223 AR with bi pod and a good scope and also carry my 12 ga with 3.5in #4's and turkey choke for the shots under 50yds. Last thing ya wana do is have to shoot a nice cat that sneeks into 30yds with a rifle.

13. SOIL hunter

SOIL hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kind of like Bow choices. What you have listed are all great for predator hunting especially the range you're shooting. I looked into the 204 and wanted it bad, but got a good deal on a Rock River Predator model 223 that I could pass up.

14. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    .223/5.56

15. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a .22-250, either that or .223 are winners for me.

16. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    .223 is a perfect varm round...I have a mossberg MVP 223 bolt action that takes ar15 mags and it is a tack driver....love it more than I thought I would

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you want good distance shooting and minimal hide damage, .223 is the way to go .... within 75 yards I would go with a .22 magnum

If you want to cut them in half, a .22-.250 a.d any other high compression. Round will do nicely

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  18. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree here. I would rather shoot my 22-250 over my .223 but that is just me. I do most of my hunting in Nodak so I like to be able to reach out to 300 or 400. For you it sounds like a .223 would be best.

19. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info guys, I was leaning towards the .223 and the .204 to begin with. Like I said, I wont be doing too much long range shooting and the .223 seems to have a better selection of loads to choose from.

Matt, I have heard nothing but great things about Savage's accuracy, but I have heard fron a lot of guys who own Savage that the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. What's your thoughts on this? I have specifically heard that they are rust magnets. I will def. give them a look though. Any particular model that you would suggest? I am leaning towards th TC as I have some experience with the TC line and I have been very impressed with accuracy and build quality, and the price can't hardly be beat for the quality. I am looking for something accurate, well built, durable, and fairly light (I will be doing a good bit of walking/hunting when I take it in to the ANF chasing predators)

20. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    22-250 or a .22 MAG i use both and have never had hide damage, other than you standard bullet hole, that can be repaired with a little stitching. Both of my guns a Savages also