What's Happening in Southern Illinois ?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by EJHOFFY, Nov 8, 2012.

1. EJHOFFY

EJHOFFY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, This is my first time posting anything, but I have learned a lot here and Thank You all !!

I hunt in Union County Illinois. We were there last weekend and things were really slow for us. Does anyone know if things are changing down there yet ? Thanks

2. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hello and welcome. I can't help ya with any answer to that question but welcome aboard.

3. EJHOFFY

EJHOFFY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank You

4. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Central Illinois, things are pretty much in full swing. Bucks are on the move, working scrape lines. Mornings and evenings have a lot of buck and doe activity. I arrowed a nice 9 point yesterday........and he had the ladies on his mind, heading toward an active scrape line. I would say in my neck of the woods, the rut is on!

5. EJHOFFY

EJHOFFY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Beehunter, big congrats on that beautifull deer ! Thank you for the inf

6. andyh2o

andyh2o Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt public in Williamson and Jackson. Last 2 weeks I have been out 4 times. Seen some does and a couple small bucks not really crusin but heading somewhere in somewhat of a hurry. While not hunting, i saw a basket 6 make a rub and a couple decent bucks in fields. Also when heading to stand i have been seeing alot of scrapes on field edges. I would say as far as the rut here goes, its coming within the next week. Vague but I hope it somewhat helps. Btw I love Union Co!!! Cant wait to jump on some ducks there once season opens! Good Luck

7. EJHOFFY

EJHOFFY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Andy, Thanks a lot for the info. I had about the same action as you had last weekend with scrapes and seeing small ones, quite a difference from this time last year. I hope you are right about the rut because we will be down there almost all next week.

FYI: We found 4 dead carcasses in the creek bottoms and a couple in the fields. Wondering if it could be from EHD ?

8. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Bond county a couple of hours north of you on hwy 127. appearently north of I-70 the chase is on and last week friends of mine have started seeing day time movement of the big guys. I spent Monday and Tuesday driving north to Macoupin County and was seeing some chasing in the afternoon. mostly smaller bucks except one time. I went to my property which is literally on the boarder of Bond and Clinton county and pulled my cards from 2 weeks ago when I made a couple of mock scrapes using the Selfbros methob. (Peeing on it myself) and this has really sent those big fellow into a frenzy in that arear along. Here are some pics that I recieved. small licker II.jpg big 10.jpg big ten II.jpg chaser.jpg king.jpg small licker.jpg young 10 II.jpg two doe look behind.jpg yng 10.jpg yng 10 II.jpg yng 10 III.jpg yng 10 IV.jpg young 10.jpg

Unfortunitly, these are still at night, so I would say it is just starting to open up in Southern,IL. I'd say if you have any vacation day's I would use them next week.

9. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im from and hunt in white co and little bucks are chasin but the big boys are just startin to come out it wont be long tho next week should be good

10. EJHOFFY

EJHOFFY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone Thank again for the info. I also think next week should be a lot of fun !

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting Alexander and Pope Co. and it has been pretty slow the couple of times I have been out. My brothers and other acquaintances said it has been miserably slow the past week. They have been hunting every day. We are all wondering if the rut just hasn't kicked in or if EHD put a big hurt on the deer in the area this summer. Anybody heard any reports of deer dying from EHD in this area from the summer?

12. Country Lover

Country Lover Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live and hunt williamson county and their pickin up the mo-jo here. I think full rut here next week.

13. EJHOFFY

EJHOFFY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Snake and Country Lover, Thank you for the info, as I said last week was pretty disapointing.

14. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My brother shoot a 130" 8 in Jefferson county last Friday and a doe Wednesday. He's been dissapointed with the active he's seen over the past week also. Not much chasing just little bucks pushing does around.

15. EJHOFFY

EJHOFFY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Madman

16. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was driving through Town (Edwardsville, IL) this morning to drop off the little guy at day care. This was around 7:15 AM all the kids were lined up and down the road waiting on thier bus to arrive when all of a sudden here comes a decent size (120") buck just walking across someone front yard and crossing the street with not a care in the world that all of these kids were standing there. I was amazed. He had his nose to the ground and he wasn't looking for food. this was a older area of town with wooded lots near by. I can't wait to sit in the 75 degrees weather all day tomorrow.