Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Arrow flight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kuntryboy, Nov 8, 2012.

1. kuntryboy

kuntryboy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first season bowhunting and im shooting a Bear compound bow. the problem that im having is my arrows seem to turn to the right after about thirty yrds. ive been checking everything i can think of to correct the problem but havent found the solution yet. i noticed the feathers of my arrow was hitting the string on my bow and put the bar on my bow which holds the strings out of the way. im still using the stock plastic arrow rest amd wondering if this could be my problem. I have missed several deer this season and getting really frustrated. any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. I need to figure out the reason this is happening so I can take my first archery deer.

2. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fletching clearance could be your problem. With that being said so could a slew of other things. Have you tuned your bow? Are you focusing on form? Is the rest a whisker biscuit?

3. kuntryboy

kuntryboy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im not sure how to tune my bow. is it something i can do myself or do i need to take it to a dealer? Im not using a whisker biscuit i still have the stock plastic arrow rest. not sure what you mean by focusing on form but i pull back full draw and release the same every time.

4. MHSfootball86

Dislikes Received:
    Form is very important in archery. If you don't draw, aim and release the same every shot you will get different results. Gripping the bow is first, well lack of grip. You want to be able to have your bow held in the Y of your thumb and finger. The grip should be loose as you want the bow to practically fall out of your hand after the shot, that's what the wrist sling is for. A tight grip on the riser can cause you to twist the bow as your arrow is traveling through the rest, resulting in an off center shot. Your feet can be moved around depending on what's comfortable but keep in mind your hunting situation and try to replicate it. As you draw you want to be able to keep your bow aimed at your target. If you have to raise or lower your bow your draw weight may be too high. At full draw you want your shoulder blades pulled tight and you want a comfortable anchor point. Your anchor is the position you are in before EVERY shot, that's why you want to feel comfortable. I keep a slight bend in my bow arm's elbow. This helps clear your forearm from string slap, which is very painful. If shooting out of a stand remember to bend at the waist to lower your aim, just dropping your bow arm can result in you missing your mark. Once your pin is on the target gently squeeze the trigger, a hard pull or "punch" can also throw off your shot. As you release your drawing arm should move back slightly from the release of the string and the pressure you put on it from your tightened back.

Practice makes perfect and the game you hunt deserve nothing less than a perfect shot. Everyone on this site holds a great respect for the animals we hunt. We would rather miss completely than just wound an animal.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. MHSfootball86

Dislikes Received:
    Tuning can be done by yourself. I have only been in archery for 3 years now and I have learned 3-4 different tuning methods to get my bow shooting as close to perfect as humanily possible. Hiding tuning issues is like putting a poster over a hole in the wall, yea you might not see it any more but it's still there.

When I got my Bear Strike I looked up everything I could about compound archery, from debates on the F.O.C. Of arrows to what peep sight size you wanted and why. This site is a wealth of knowledge and if you treat the members with respect they can and will answer any questions you have.

If you are wondering what F.O.C. is here is where I learned a lot of information http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_1.htm

6. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Please send a pic of the plastic rest. Try moving the rest 1/8" to the left and see what happens. Before doing so, use a sharpie to mark the current position of the rest.

You can also try shooting 2 arrows at 10 yards and 2 arrows at 20 yards. If the 20 yard arrows are left or right of thr 10 yard arrows, you must slowly adjust your arrow rest in the opposite direction which the arrows are off from thr target vertical centerline. Try YouTube search words: walk back tuning or French tuning.

7. MHSfootball86

Dislikes Received:
    This is how I tuned my bow. I shoot fixed blades and they hit perfect with my field points. Use a single pin set at 10 yards. Shoot then at 10, 20, 30 yards using the 10 pin to aim at the exact same spot. If the arrows tail left as distance increases move rest right, if opposite happens move the rest accordingly. Make very small adjustments as it doesn't take much to over adjust your rest.

Also don't just make the adjustments cause that's what we said, the biggest help to me in tuning is understanding WHY you have to move your rest where you do.

8. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "I have missed several deer this season and getting really frustrated"

First off, you shouldnt be shooting at any animal 30 yards away as a new archery hunter. I dont care how good of a shot you think you are, there is alot more that can go wrong over 20 yards. The margin for error is much larger.