Colorado and Washington legalize weed

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As compared to what? Where are you getting this information?

2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You think more people would go to jail if they legalized marijuana? Really?

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The study I already posted and you read?? Did you read it? Are you high?

Or were you asking about what the cigarette smokers smelled like? Either way, are you high?

4. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I do. They wont be able to find a job, but they will need money to light up. Better chain down your lawn ornaments.

Seriously, I think he is right. It's a slippery slope of morality and weed impairs judgement. It just does. The kids I hung around in college that got high, were the kids that also enjoyed breaking numerous other laws.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some stats for you, fletch:

6. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just a question here from a guy that has never smoked weed. Whats the attraction to it? I'm all for making it legal. Then I wouldn't have hippies growing weed where I deer hunt. :)

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great for bait:)

8. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

The weed is gone by the time season opens but the camo buckets are left behind.

9. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Put out a bag of Cheetos, deer will come

10. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    That's one theory. Here is another from Columbia Universtiy;

Drivers who test positive for marijuana or report driving within three hours of marijuana use are more than twice as likely as other drivers to be involved in crashes, Columbia University researchers find.

The researchers also found evidence that people who smoke dope more often, or who have higher concentrations of its compounds in their blood, face higher crash risks.

The researchers, who report their finding in this month's issue of the journal Epidemiologic Reviews, point to eight of nine studies that validate that drivers who use marijuana are significantly more likely to be involved in crashes than drivers who do not.

The findings are significant as the national debate over pot legalization heats up. A new Gallup Poll finds half of adults now favor legalization, up from 36% as recently as 2006.

Some 28% of those killed in accidents and more than 11% of the general driver population tested positive for non-alcohol drugs, with marijuana being the most commonly detected substance, according to the analysis.

If the influence of marijuana on traffic accidents "is confirmed by further research," Guohua Li, professor of epidemiology at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, who led the study, said in a statement, "this is likely to have major implications for driving safety and public policy. It also would play a critical role in informing policy on the use of medical marijuana."

The problem is big, and it could grow as more states such as California allow medical marijuana or take other steps to make it easier to grow, possess or consume. More than 10 million people age 12 or older are estimated to have driven under the influence of illicit drugs in the prior year, according to a 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.

I would rather my kids not be sharing the road with potheads. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it seems there is plenty of data to support my position. Doubling ones risk of death seems to be substantial to me. Would you rather play Russian Roulette with one bullet or two?

11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of the worlds biggest employers, the Cleveland Clinic, doesnt hire smokers.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

12. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    fletch, it seems we can share links proving out points all day.

The fact is that there are numerous mind altering drugs legal at this very moment, but I do not see you pushing to make them illegal.

I'd rather not share this world with my psycho cousin with all his AR-15s, but it is not my place to tell another man what he can do to his body or his property. This is an issue of individual freedoms. If anyone here claims to be for small government, then they must be for the legalization of marijuana. You cannot pick and choose what freedoms you want to allow based on your personal beliefs.

13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Skin color is not a choice. Smoking is. Smoking costs companies billions of dollars in lost productivity and health insurance costs. I think the employer has every right to make that hiring decision. They are footing the bill.

14. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    110% agree and we should take away their access to Medicare also. They can keep the tax and buy their own health insurance.

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If we do this, then companies need to monitor employee's BF%, and fire accordingly. Obesity costs this country more than smoking.

16. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    We should spoon.....

17. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:

From the webmd website:

"Twice as many drivers involved in fatal car accidents tested positive for marijuana compared with a group of other drivers."

Again I ask, what other group?

From the actual study:

4% solely with marijuana, 25% solely with alcohol. Add in the 7% of mixed, that makes up 36% of fatal car crashes. So, that leaves 64% of fatal car crashes unrelated to alcohol and marijuana. 4% is not twice as much as 65%. If you read the actual article, instead of the webmd citation, you'll notice there is no use of the wording "twice as much" (apparently math isn't webmd's strong point) . http://www.bmj.com/content/331/7529/1371. They state 1.5%-3.5% were estimated as being attributable to cannabis, compared to 28.6% being attributable to alcohol. Again, this study boosts my claim that alcohol is worse.

In addition, are you drunk?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  18. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I live near a college and nearly after every game some poor hapless female is found in the park or staggering down the street or just walking up the street scantly claded or just butt naked.

A parents worst nightmare.

19. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    Did I mention skin color? Obesity, is absolutely a choice. While I don't think sexual orientation is, there are a lot of people that would say that was as well.

20. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Food chains sales will increase during the weee hours of pot smoking. A Plus?