How little things make a big difference

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by davidmil, Nov 7, 2012.

1. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was just flipping and see the movie Top Gun is playing. I think it made all the difference in the path my son took in life. He was always a procrastinator in school in early years. Oh they could give him any intellegence test and he would knock it's socks off. His mind does work different than most of ours. But anyway, because of his procrastination in early years... he was always getting lectures, scoldings etc. Yet, he was taking courses at Johns Hopkins college as an 8th grader in the summer under their gifted and talented program.. Then in 8th grade, the movie Top Gun came out. He saw that movie and said... I want to be a pilot. As an 8th grader he came home from the movie and composed a letter to the Navy. A colonel replied and told him what he had to do. Grades, extra curricular activities, sports, leadership etc. That day he decided to do it all. We no longer heard of missing homework. He played football, lacross, was the lead song and dance man in school plays, summer theater etc. I honestly think it was the impression this simple movie had made on him. His schedule was insane his last 3 years of highschool. He'd practice football, I'd carry him McD's for dinner and he'd work on a play until ten or eleven at night. Same deal in the spring. The Air Force Academy was recruiting him for lacrosse when they weren't really suppose to... but they talked to him. His grades, SAT's and all that stuff allowed him to pretty much choose where he wanted to go. He quit lacrosse in his junior year because his coach told him he wouldn't play if we went touring colleges instead of attending unauthorized practices during spring break. We toured all the biggies, Harvard, Tuffs, MIT, West POint, Va and Duke. He choose Air Force ROTC at Duke University to save me a lot of money. Plus, the Air Force Colonel that recruited him convinced him the air force was as close to civilian as you can get in the service. He was also offered a Navy scholarship but the Air Force offered him... whatever it cost to go to the school of your choice. He flunked the flight physical. You know.. all that refracting and depth perception etc. He was border line. They told him he could probably pass it the next time or two... but from experience they figured he'd never end up flying. Somewhere down the road he would fail again and not fly. BUT... the movie Top Gun sure did influence his path in life. He makes a very good living. He's back at Microsoft for his second tour. He's not flying.... but... he's got his head in the clouds because of a stupid movie with a pain in the *** actor. I find that an amazing story. A damn movie influences a kid with a brain I don't understand.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. 1st Time Hunter

1st Time Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's amazing what can spark inspiration in a person and "wake them up" and give them the drive they need to better their future. Great story! Thanks for sharing.

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Truly a great story. Thx for sharing it. :)

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    good stuff David

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was the volleyball scene that got him, wasn't it?

6. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You just never know what is going to light the spark. But, thank goodness something did. What a great story. Thanks.

7. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't remember, did they ever smoke weed in that movie?

8. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got one of those kids. He's in the number 1 rated magnet school in the country and does okay... but is such an underachiever. He just thinks everything is fine but I can't seem to help him find that spark that really helps him define who he wants to be. 10th grade. He loves technology and cars but says he wants to be a marine biologist. I have talked to him about studying chemical engineering and I think he is becoming interested in that field now. He takes chemistry and calculus in school and does okay but not great. He likes the chemistry class a lot, which is encouraging.

9. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    No that was "I feel the need... the need for speed... not weed!" LOL

10. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy thanks for sharing about your son....Far as the movie I tend to believe it was the family unit was his greatest influences.

When my daughter was about 5 months old I would read comic books or paper back novels. I could always catch her gaze as i read. So as it goes I didn't have anything to read so I picked up the telephone book look at it and burst into laughter. I would read a few names and laugh some more. She would have a grin on her face that would become infectious.

I kept it up teaching her to read and she would always want a book of some type to read. Then I got her a book on biology. Then life science. In these areas she excelled. When she was about 14 she said Daddy i want to be a doctor and have little kids and some day be able to take care of you and Momma. I told her you don't owe us anything just do the best you can and that will make me proud.

This is her 3rd year of medical school and I tell you every-time I lay eyes on her I always break down in tears. Just seeing what she have achieved is all a parent can ask for.

Now I must inspire a son that I know little about, but love him all the same and he has never disrespected me. Man I have my work cut out for me. He'll be here for good in 2 weeks. Damn I can't wait.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    How's he doing since the "incident?"

12. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The best way to put it "Quiet before the storm". He's feeling fine and full of questions on fighting styles and boxing beyond that he's doing well. When he get down here it will be a big culture shock. And very quiet for the most part. I will tell him the same thing my father told me and give him choices and chances.

It's the moment of quietness that bothers me. Still once I got into mix up like that I did the same thing. He'll be fine. Thank you for asking.