Rut and High Temp??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by selfbros, Nov 6, 2012.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are or expectations are about this coming weekends high temps and how it will or will it affect the deer movement. Saturday we can expect near 70 for an high. I'm not overly thrilled about it, but I'll take what I can get. does anyone else think that the deer may lay low even with rut in or starting?

I'm in central/souther IL.

2. Country Lover

Country Lover Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No i dont, their everywhere in southern illinois, 15 degrees wont matter.

3. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really?? You don't think 15 degrees above average high temps won't suppress deer movement. Well your wrong, it will. They'll still move just not nearly as much.

4. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I posted a question similar to this on my teams thread. I’m looking forward to reading what others have to say about this topic. However, I’m fairly certain I’m not going to like most of what I read. I live 3 ½ hours from where I hunt so I don’t get out as often as most folks or as often as I’d like. The warmer temps are disappointing for sure but what can I do about it? Hunt hard and hope for the best from my limited time in the woods!!! At least I won’t be freezing my butt off. There will be no excuses for not taking good, long, sits.

-D

5. BigSarge1974

BigSarge1974 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

^^^^ I agree, I am in central Illinois and I dont think that the temp is going to be that significant. Its only going to be 10-15 degress higher (at the most and thats only an educated weather mans guess) at the most. It will still get down to cool temps at night. Also where I am the rut is about to break open heavy. I think that the movement will not be bothered that much. If it gets any warmer then mid to high 60's like mid to upper 70's then that may change my opinion. However, low to mid 60's will not be a significant increase in that short of time to do much. Good Luck!
    Sarge

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    IMO there's no single factor that will suppress deer movement more than warm temps during the rut. Although with that said, it's November and the bucks will be on the move one way or another. Sometimes you just have to take what you're given and make the best out of it.

I'm looking at 15 mph S winds and rain/t-storms both Sat and Sun. Time to brush in the ground blind and hunker down! Thank God for my Huntmore chair.

Now come Monday this front is going to blow through and the bottom is going to drop out with temps down into the 20's at night. If you can be in the woods on Monday/Tuesday hold onto your seat b/c it could be good. Real good.

7. BigSarge1974

BigSarge1974 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree with the high temps effecting deer movement, but I just dont think that it will be that significant where I am in Illinois...I may be wrong but I will still be out none the less. The night time temps will still be in the low 40's to mid 30's and I think that will help...either way you'll not see anything on the couch...:-) and buy the way...wht is this "huntmore" chair that you speak of?

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Check out http://huntmore.biz/ If you do a lot of ground blind hunting you'll appreciate this chair. Large, comfortable, adjustable and dead silent. 100x better than hunting out of a $20 camp chair from Wal-Mart.

If we are really in for some rain all day on Sunday I'll be tucked into my blind, sitting on my chair, sipping a coffee and waiting on some deer to stroll by.

9. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope your right Justin, I'll be sitting in a tree in either northern Pike or southern Brown county those days.

10. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Of course Monday will be good, my vacation will be over and I go back to work. That's how my luck is.

11. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ This!

-D

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saturdays high here in KS appears will be higher than I'd like and will certainly slow the big boys down a bit. HOWEVER the cold front moving through by the end of the day Sat is bringing a 30 deg drop in temp and possible snow! You can bet they'll be up and at em Sunday!

13. warrior_joe

warrior_joe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in upstate New York. One year i was out hunting one day during rut and saw a nice buck, but couldn't get a shot. The next day it was 73 degrees with 23 mph winds. I was at work and told the story and an old guy on our construction site said to go out anyway. I left at noon and was in my tree at 1:30. Shot that buck minutes after i got in the stand. Doesnt matter what the conditions are during rut!

14. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the lows near St Louis will be in the mid 50's, so that will suck q big one. I had planned on taking Tuesday off but got screwed by work again.

15. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where I am in Central IL its supposed to reach 65 this weekend. IMO thats not enough to supress deer movement, but if we get another 10-15 degrees warmer than that I could see them starting to lay low a little bit. Regardless, those bucks are going to want some tail and if that requires them to chase a doe a little later into the morning/earlier in the evening they are going to do it.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My vacation goes through Monday, and this strong cold front moving through Sunday is very similar to the one that went through on 10/25-10/26 and that Friday I was stuck at work. Trail cam showed bucks moving all day and several were dropped locally. I'll be certain to be out Monday unless by some miracle I fill both buck tags before then. Better moon phase as well