Team 9

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by kskcheche, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go lansea, everyone getting it done, looking forward to the pictures. Twitch I can't imagine how it must feel for all your work on your property to come together like it did, I'm sure it makes it all worth it. With this sandy storm coming in, I don't think I'll have huntable conditions until thursday at the earliest. It is on for sure.

2. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Lansea! I hunted the past few days with no success. I hate to say it but I missed my calling on a good one while at work. Had a nice 138-142" 9pt running a doe under my stand for 3 nights during late shooting hours! Had another 125-130 10pt show up on a scrape as well. Tons of rain the past two days so its been rough with the wind for the hurricane. Hopefully this weekend is better, I took all weekend off so lets hope!

3. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Dunncty! Sorry for the late reply

4. dunncty22

dunncty22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice work lansea! were working up the board! thanks guys. My brother (who is on a rival team) haha shot one on saturday morning here in WI as well. Looking to be around 160". He always has to one up me! haha

5. lansea56

lansea56 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright gents....Here is my buck that I shot last night (10/27), along with some trail cam pics from the most recent card pull. Definitely a lot of buck activity / deer movement in general the last week or so. Much of the buck movement still at night. Tons of scrapes / rubs. My buck was following a doe. I was set up on about a 2 acre pople islands surrounded by thick cedar swamp. We had created a small clover plot there during the winter. While the doe ate clover in front of me for a 30min, the buck stayed out of the clearing grunting away and tearing up some pople trees. As the doe left the plot the buck followed and finally had to step out into the plot giving me a 20yrd quartering away shot. Got a clean pass through and it didn't make it 50yrds before crashing.

As you can see in my below picture attachments, this isn't the biggest buck we have running around. Every year there are some real giants around. With a big woods mix of hardwoods / cedar swamp / a bit of agriculture / and qdma practicing neighbors, there isn't a shortage of big bucks and you truly never know what may walk on by. I'm convinced that there are some bucks that die of old age with the dense cover and tough hunting geography. None the less, I'm very happy with this buck and couldn't pass it up. I have the 2nd wk of November off as a yearly tradition to hunt the rut with my dad and brother. I'll be armed with a camera, hoping they can put down a monster. Good luck to everyone as conditions begin to heat up. I'll be posting the buck to our team score page in the next day or so when a get a chance to take measurements.

DSCF0580.jpg DSCF0586.jpg kjugyft.jpg PICT0248.jpg PICT0192.jpg MDGC0010.jpg PICT0272.jpg PICT0172.jpg PICT0162.jpg PICT0157.jpg

Attached Files:

6. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it sure has been an amazing October for me in the deer woods. I have seen so much more movement this year than in past years that I have hunted this same property. I mean I've always had big deer on camera - but my property was always just a pass through bedding areas for deer before the food plot.

If I had to guess, sometime in the next two weeks a big buck is going to walk out into that food plot and he's going to be toast. I will be on vacation hunting Nov. 6 through the 11th. Hopefully I can get this Indiana tag filled so I can go to Kentucky and try and fill that tag.

7. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go guys impressive weekend.

I was unable to hunt this weekend due to daughters birthday and all the rain. I have Wed - Sun this week off and the same next week. Hoping to get something done soon here in Ohio.

8. lansea56

lansea56 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just got my buck scored and posted on the scorecard. 123 gross. Based on the current chart imaged, if nothing else were to change that would place us in 4th place I believe. Team 9 on the rise.

9. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Lans you got some gaggers running around. That first trail pic is a SLOB! Im gonna be out fri-sun doing all day sits in either OH or IN. Hopefully I can get something knocked down for us.

10. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The storm is pretty much passed. Hopefully the power comes back soon. Great job everyone, i hope i can pull my weight and put a buck down soon.

11. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the "Pre-Rut Success in WI" post under Bowhunting talk to hear some of the story of dunncty22 and his archery harvest.

12. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Going out after work today and Friday - then will be in the stand Sunday morning and evening.

Also have next Tuesday through Sunday to be in the whitetail woods - hopefully between now and next Sunday I can put a buck down. Not sure how much more patient I can be this season. A decent 8 walks in front he might get an arrow.

13. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you twitch. I'm getting very antsy. Tomorrow starts my crazyness, I'm attempting to be in the stand every day from tomorrow on (except sundays) for the next few weeks here. I'm going to make something happen.

How many tags do you all get? Just curious.

14. lansea56

lansea56 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ghile, I never read into the no hunting on Sundays in PA. What's the rationale behind it? Just because it's the sabath day or what? Either way it's a bummer, naturally cutting down on a lot of hunting time. In my zone in central WI. I get one buck and one doe archery tag. Then get 2 doe and 1 buck for gun season.

15. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never done research on why we can't, but I believe you are spot on. I just googled it, and ever since 1877 CT has not allowed Sunday hunting. We have had multiple attempts with congress to push bills through to allow it, but everytime it is shot down by people who think "hunting is dangerous" or do not have the slightest clue as to what hunting entails more than the fact of killing things. That is a whole different topic though...

In CT I have 2 buck tags and 2 doe tags. I'm really trying to hold out for a decent buck, but with a spike being my biggest to date it is very hard to hold out.

On a side note, I got home from college early and decided to go sneak up to a private field behind my house. I watched a small 6 dog around a doe for awhile. I have attempted once to get permission on said piece of property, but the lady is very anti hunting. She has over 1,500 acres behind my house and the size of some of the deer I see running around there every year is unreal...

16. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Seen a fat doe and here twins tonight - I've had her on the property for 4 months now.

I get 3 tags in Indiana - 2 doe tags and 1 buck tag.

I have a doe tag and a buck tag for Kentucky also.

If I can tag out in Indiana in the next 3 or 4 days I will head to Kentucky and hunt some public ground.

17. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to Indiana tomorrow evening to hunt all day Fri-Sun. I figure 3 all day sits on the farms I have should at least produce some good sightings, hoping for a 130" or better to walk within 40-50 yards of me. Even out of state I wont shoot anything under 130" so im very picky lol.

I have 1 buck tag in IN
    1 buck and up to 3 does in OH, -1 doe from early season.
    1 buck and 1 doe in KY

18. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed to get my limbs replaced on my bow now. I had a paper tear that wouldnt go away and noticed cam lean. ATA wasnt measuring the same on both sides. Low and behold my shop ordered some new limbs under warranty thinking one was weak. So I may be out for a few days getting her back in working order.

Our team is doing great! When gun season is over I plan on using one of my buck "any deer" tags on a doe just because I dont want to go buy another tag. So expect a doe down then! I hate having my any deer tags left at the end of the season and already used up 2 or 3 antlerless tags. Trying to save some $$$.

19. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys this is the first dry sit I have had this week thanks to Sandy
    Yesterday was a wash in the morning and then stayed in last night
    Saw a small buck this morning but still got soaked
    Hunting tonight all day Friday and Saturday then Sunday morning
    Then next Wednesday - Sunday ill be in the woods atleast part of each day if not all day

I get one buck tag and up to 5 doe tags here in Ohio
    Urban zone

20. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't see as many deer this morning as I thought I would have. Did see nice 120 8pt and a deer that I haven't seen in 2 years called 2 face
    He has 2 totally different racks one side is a main frame 5 the other is just a mangled mess