---------team 8----------

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by CleChevy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody get out this week? I haven't. Was going to try tomorrow morning, but calling for NW wind which is terrible for the stand I hunt. Might try my dad's stand tomorrow night b/c it is still calling for NW wind. It is a box blind that seems to contain scent more so than being in a tree. It is also on a ridge which will help the NW wind.

I only have two stands and one I'm not touching until the rut because it is a spot that has never been hunted. I'm pretty excited about trying the new spot during rut. It is close to a 10 year field that should hold some bedding does. Hoping to see lots of activity.

Be out the rest of the weekend hoping to let an arrow fly. Good luck to everyone.

2. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This work is killing me, I might get out for a morning hunt.... just counting the days till the 26th and I'm in the woods for 2+ weeks! Yeah buddy!

3. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going out morning and evening Saturday. Good temps and mediocre wind. I'm hopeful!

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All day sit yesterday and today... saw 1 doe and 1 buck - but nothing close!
    I'm a little frustrated to say the least. Oh well, maybe I'm suppose to learn patience before that MONSTA walks by.

5. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    havent been out all week, was going to go out today but helped a buddy move a stand and then ended up doing some four wheeling

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been awhile since I posted. Haven't hunted since last week but going out saturday. Im going to make an attempt at hunting all day but Ive been so tired this week I dont know how that will go.

Ill be hunting in a new stand. Its right by an old fence row that has a lot of activity so we will see.

I hope everyone is seeing some deer.

7. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out tomorrow morning.

It's gonna be foggy and cool (about 45-50deg) with a light west wind. I'm going to be in a small stand of thick pines. The pines extend up a draw into a corn field. I want to sit on the high side.

View attachment 22385

Starting from the south at the parking area (P) - does that walk in look good? I'm hoping something will be feeding in the fields to the north-west and make it's way to bed or hang out in the pines.

Green dots are where I've seen or shot deer before but I'm trying this area for the first time tomorrow. (Crazy how close they hang out to the parking area sometimes)

Attached Files:

8. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know why the image shrank so much...lol oh well.

9. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Slider! Knock one down for us! I sat Thursday evening on the ground in the light rain. Saw a 4 or 6 point and one doe. No shot on the doe. Still good to see any deer. Good luck to all!

10. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is safe to say the BIG BOYS are starting to get heated up! Sure wish I had my buck tag now!!!!!!!!
    Rory

PICT0168.jpg PICT0170.jpg

11. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    That's a crazy looking buck!

12. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck! Sat last night and this morning.

Last night. Saw 4 deer. Had a 7 point broadside at 10 yards. Nothing big.

This morning I would have had a good shot at a big doe, but I was watching a smaller deer to my left. I had grabbed my bow while watching small deer to my left. Glance around a big doe with two fawns was glaring straight at me about 40 yards away. I froze. She didn't snort at me, but stopped and turned down a different trail that leads right to where my dad was sitting. She went a little ways and then snorted. Must of caught wind of one of us.

13. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't posted in awhile...Hope everyone's seasons are going great. I have only been out a few times. Seen deer every time out but they haven't entered the kill zone yet.

14. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well my day went horrible. Last night didnt get home from work until 2 in the morning so I decided to skip the morning. Went out around 10 and neighbor went by on 4 wheeler. He was on his property but right on the line so that got me a little upset.

Back out at around 4 but it was just so windy where I was hunting. So another unsuccessful day. Starting to get stressed but I got plenty of time out. Good luck to everyone. Im really getting tired of the no hunt Sundays.

antlerman.... If you want me to come take that buck out for you, I can be there tomorrow afternoon. :tu:

15. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WHOA... saw the MONSTA yesterday - what a pig! He is big-bodied and dark with glowing golden antlers. Too far away for a shot, but now I know he's still in the area. I'm hunting an Amish farm (so Sunday hunting is not allowed)... I have a dentist appt Monday am... then it's back to the woods!

16. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Knocked a doe down Saturday morning............ just your garden variety 20 yard shot. She only went about 60 yards shooting the new Killzone heads from NAP. Gotta tell ya those heads so far are impressive. I've shot a ton of deer with every mechanical broadhead you can think of and most recentlyabout a dozen with the 2 Blade Rage. In every case with the Rage even though the deer didn't go very far the blades looked like a propeller in a plane crash they were so banged and bent up. I hammered ribs in and out and the arrow was 6" in the dirt with this Killzone and the blades looked like I could have washed them off and shot it again. Still sharp and straight.
    Anyway, backstraps marinading, 50 pts for the board and should have pics up tomorrow AM!

17. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Matt, well done brother! Its killing me not to be in the woods, 2 weeks of 8am - 12am sucks for the past 2 weeks, this week as well. I'm hoping to get out Fri and Sat mornings then off for 2.5 weeks starting on Sunday....guess where I'll be! LOL!

Once again, congrats brother!

18. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    She couldn't climb......she couldn't swim very far.......so she just decided to take a long nap. :)

[​IMG]

19. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
  20. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Nice doe Matt. I'm jealous of the backstraps marinading.

Went out yesterday morning and last night. Pretty quiet in the morning. Last night I'm pretty sure I saw the same doe and 2 fawns that busted me Saturday morning. They were feeding into a cornfield and just happened to come out of the field directly downwind. She blew at me and was off. Not touching that stand for awhile.

Last year I didn't get busted once. My stand placement this year is in a staging area that is in a little finger. Starting to wonder if I can hunt that stand with anything but an East wind. Last years stand was on top of ridge. Good news is my other stand I'm waiting to hunt is on a ridge which will help with scent.

I did see a nice buck that was about 200 yards away. Looked like a huge body, but most bucks do to me. I got the binocs up just as he was heading into the corn. Couldn't tell how wide, tall or points, but he did have some size just from the naked eye. Really hope the corn gets picked around us this week.

I bought a pop up tent last year. I don't like hunting out of it, but I'm going to try hunting out of it a bit this week on a different farm for a doe. Give the other place a break from pressure. Looked at my schedule this week and might be able to get out, but it also looks like our temperatures are sky high. 76 for high tomorrow. High of 48 on Saturday. The weekend could be a good one.

Good luck to everyone. Good meat in freezer for Matt!