Traveling into the woods with an ATV, does it effect the hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by warrior_joe, Oct 20, 2012.

1. warrior_joe

warrior_joe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am at the top of a 1600ft.hill and the deer funnel at the bottom. It never gets hunted because access is difficult. Walking down the hill is not too bad, but walking back up will make you sweat and will take a good 1/2 hour. What is your take on taking an atv through the woods, and down the hill, to get to this location. I have driven the atv on the off season and have seen deer, but they usually run as i come through. Suggestions and opinions are appreciated!! Thanks

2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience, deer do not like atv's. Too noisy and too fast. On the other hand, they don't mind my tractor at all.

I have hills but not like yours. Now I leave the atv at home and walk it.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ATVs can effect deer differently, in different areas.

If they were used to it (ie it happened every day) you might be able to get away with it. It's sounds like that area doesn't get much traffic though. I ususally err on the side of caution, which is why I use a canoe instead of a fishing boat or pontoon when I cross the lake.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would also be concerned about smelling like exhaust...

5. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can say when I was younger we always took atvs to the back of the property when we were hunting. We didn't park the atv close to the stand, usually 100 yards or more away, but we never had issue with the exhaust smell (at least none we noticed) because the deer never seemed to notice us even when coming very close. Depends on how far you'd be walking to get to the stand from where you park, in my opinion. If you're 100 yards or so away, you're probably fine.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I try to never drive my ATV close to my stand. In your case, I would get to the woods as early as I can. Dress light, probably just my base layer and boots and walk in. Once I get up to the stand, I would cool off and then finish dressing at the tree. Making sure to spray down again with whatever Secent Elimination you use. I know a lot of people that use Electric ATV's to prevent exhaust fumes from spooking deer. I hope it doesn't cause you any problems. Good Hunting!

7. ruttnutt

ruttnutt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Leave the atv on the trailer until you need it to recover the deer! I've seen alot of good deer property ruined by atv's. If you lived in the woods, and some alien comes cruising thru on an atv the same time everyday and same time of the year, you would go elsewhere would'nt ya:)

8. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    helicopter

9. warrior_joe

warrior_joe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys..i tend to believe the atv will disrupt a typical day in the woods, especially when it is not an every day event. Maybe heavy rut would not matter. I guess ill take it slow and easy!

10. Thwack1

Thwack1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put a small ATV trail in at the property I hunt this year(I don't own it, it belongs to a friends mom). I put the trail in for easy access to the field so I could work on plots during the spring and haul deer out. Since then the land owner has bought their own ATV and now the whole nieghborhood has decided it's ok to use that trail and haull balls all over the place. Before there was no ATV traffic so the deer have all pushed off of or to another part of the property where there are no ATVs. I've basically quarantined the stands in that area until the weather cools off and her and the neighbors stop riding. Hind sight is 20/20 and this was one of my worst ideas to date

11. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a study done where ATV and deer were involved..... when the ATV enters the deers cushion zones, their territory and stops and stays, they are on alert and likely spook but when an ATV comes and goes, they associate danger has come and gone... Outfitters use this strategy when dropping off clients at stands.. the deer may leave the area when the ATV comes but return when the ATV leaves, but if the ATV remains, the sightings are down, via the danger remains. Something to think about.

12. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When the kids next door ride there atv's the deer will not enter the fields here at all,even had a idiot with a parasail buzz the field a week ago at tree top level...just out of range and ran all the deer off

13. bone_driven

bone_driven Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i drive my four wheeler to the stand everytime just about and park it about 150 yards away or so and still see deer. It might make a deer change path that walks from the direction of the 4 wheeler but other than that i think its fine. I killed my biggest buck with the 4 wheeler parked right under the stand because i had a broke leg and wasnt supposed to walk. could have been luck though

14. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ve never seen deer when we take the 4 wheeler in, Jussayn