Does your hunting ever make you depressed?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigRedOak, Oct 20, 2012.

1. BigRedOak

BigRedOak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been hunting more than I ever have before, taking off lots of time from work and hunting during the week. I'm doing about 3 sits a week since September 15. I have had exactly three encounters with shooter bucks:

Thursday the 11th I had a super big 6 pointer at 35 yards, and I didn't take a shot because I am limiting myself to 30 yards this season. He eventually busted me, not sure if he will be back.

Last Saturday the 13th I watched my target buck, a big 11 pointer, run out in the field I was hunting and then fall over dead 40 yards in front of me. The dude who shot it was hunting 25 yards away from one of my stands, and he broke a number of other club rules that I won't even go into.

Wednesday the 17th I had an 8 pointer that I had never seen before at 7 yards. He walked in behind me and I didn't see him until he was right on top of me. He was so close he heard me draw back and busted out of there. Not sure if he will be back. This is the first time I have ever come to full draw on a wallhanger.

I went hunting again yesterday and noticed that some other yahoo has set up a stand 60 yards away from me. When I set up my stands there were no other stands in the area, and I was super stoked about my hunting season. Now there are four other stands within 150 yards of me, and I am seeing a lot less deer movement due to hunting pressure. I really was thinking this would be the year I would finally get a decent buck, now I am not at all optimistic.

I know I am probably coming across as a whiner. I really love hunting and the outdoors, but it drives me to the point of insanity sometimes to put dozens or hundreds of hours into something and fail. Hopefully this is the low point of my season. End whining/. At least I've got some cool trail cam pics to show for all my effort:

PRMS0075.jpg Big 6.jpg PRMS0037.jpg

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it was easy, it'd be dumb.

Keep at it and your reward will be that much sweeter:tu:

3. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the same feeling. My dad has a farm with lots of bush thankfully but then when i see a stand i didn't hang get the chainsaw out lol

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    You've had THREE encounters with shooter bucks in a little over a month, and you're depressed? Try hunting all season long (8 weeks here in PA when you count the two week rifle), and only seeing ONE shooter buck. If anyone has the right to be depressed, it's me:D

Like Fitz said, if it was easy, it wouldn't be as fun. Keep at it, and it will happen. Good luck!

5. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hehe try 5 years of serious bowhunting with no shooter bucks in range, and could count on 1 hand the number I've seen out of range. It will change, mine did when I least expected it.

That really didn't depress me, but I'll be honest, hunting in general makes me mentally tired.

6. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stay with it man your hard work and time will be rewarded.

7. ruttnutt

ruttnutt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am more of a hardcore bowhunter than 99% of all bowhunters. It is my passion in life and have never found anything that compare's to it!! My wife is in the coast guard. We recently got re-stationed to central northern california. I no longer get to hunt as I live in the city and all efforts to find a landowner willing to let me hunt have failed. So please be thankful for what you have and enjoy your experience in the deer woods every chance you get cause belive me my bowhunting brother, it could be much worse..

8. BigRedOak

BigRedOak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Yeah, I can also count the total number of wall hangers I've seen in five years on one hand. Three have been this season, including the one that was running toward me with an arrow already in him.

I honestly think that a large part of my obsession with hunting comes from the fact that I've never shot a big one. Once I get one wall hanger I might be able to turn it down a notch.

9. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your right for me anyway... I used to push myself so hard, since I've killed my buck this year, It's like there is no pressure, I just go hunt, It's Saturday morning, and I slept in. I'm going to focus the rest of my season on getting a couple more does and learning as much as I can about areas I'd never really thought to sit before. If I was to get another chance on a mature buck, if not, I couldn't be happier.

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned, be glad your seeing something and getting some action. Many of my sits I see nothing:(

Sounds like your on the right track though. Hang in there.

11. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Think of it this way, you're skilled enough already to have fooled three monsters into walking even remotely close to you. That's impressive! That's success if you ask me. I've only ever seen one big bruiser while hunting, and he never gave me a shot. That's why this sport is called hunting and not killing. I'm in the same boat as you are, man. So many close encounters with nothing to show for it. Keep at it, you'll get one.

12. labatblue

labatblue Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there redoak it happens to the best of us,u will git done GOOD LUCK

13. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    if it were easy, the dumbest person you know would be good at it. So when all the time does pay off you'll know why you did it, and they couldn't.

14. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It does when everytime i go out to check a camera or stand and its stolen. Bout ready to move out of OH, this place blows!

15. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How much longer till you can buy little tracking devise to hide in our stuff so we can track these A-holes down?

16. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like to me that you a really close from hitting the homerun. Your just a little off your timeing. Metaphoricly speaking. But IMO I think you should be having a lot of fun. I've been out 6 times this year and have only seen a small doe. I keep at it because it's what I love. Do I get frustrated, heck yeah I do. But I keep going and keep working at it. That's what you should do. :tu:

17. geauxtigers1421

geauxtigers1421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try 3 years of hunting and only seeing a grand total of 12 deer with only one being a buck.... Which was a crab clawed 4 point. Also, only one of those deer came closer than 30 yards. Doesn't sound like you have it all that bad to me! Never gone kill something if you don't get out there

18. bwebb2

bwebb2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year was my first season hunting. The entire first month of the season I only saw one doe who busted me from far away. Then one evening in November I had a doe come running by me. A few seconds after her was an 8 point with his nose to the ground. At 12 yards I put an arrow through both lungs, and he was down within sight. There were only a few seconds between a fairly disappointing start to my bowhunting career and the adrenaline rush of being able to wrap my hands around the antlers of my first deer. That's the great thing about deer hunting: you never know when it could happen! Keep at it and good luck the rest of the season!

19. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get depressed that people only think hunting is fun or worthwhile if they see or kill a "shooter buck." Hunting is hunting - be happy you are out there, this is like women complaining about diamond size, sheesh.

20. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never get depressed about hunting. Even if i dont see deer for a month im just happy that im able to be out hunting and enjoying the outdoors.