Buck Down Team 31!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SharpEyeSam, Oct 18, 2012.

1. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a good buck tonight just before 7PM. Trailed him to another property. I have to get permission to go on the property tomorrow and recover him out of the ravine he went down in. I will post pics tomorrow.
    My original post was viewed as me only being concerned with points for my Team. (See below.) Why? I have no clue. I guess my being excited and unable to sleep tonight came off the wrong way. I know here in NC with the extremely warm weather, the meat doesn't last long. I can only hope for the best. I have recovered EVERY DEER I HAVE EVER KILLED. That is why "I will hate it if the meat goes bad." I eat what I hunt, I don't hunt for sport. What I don't eat, I give to family and friends. People will have opinions and that is cool. I have to keep this in mind from here on out and be careful with what I say! Nothing but love for all of you!!

Original Post:
    Shot a good buck tonight just before 7PM. Trailed him to another property. I have to get permission to go on the property tomorrow and recover him out of the ravine he went down in. The landowner has a lot of cows and he insists that we get permission before we come onto his property to recover any deer. I really hate that I am going to lose the meat, but I have a doe in the freezer already. Team 31 on the move! I will post pics tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is it that warm there? So, you're just letting him go to waste because you have meat already?
    Kind of shocked at what I'm reading here, Sam

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hes not letting it go to waste it ran on someones property so he has to wait to recover it. And i think he means if it does go bad he has meat. there is really nothing he can do about it.

4. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    It is 70 degrees here right now. I can't continue my search for the buck until I get permission from the adjacent land owner tomorrow morning. He wasn't home tonight. His daughter tried calling him, but no answer. She said he would be flying in late tonight. He has a lot of cows and he insists that we contact him before coming on his property to recover any deer. I don't think the meat will hold up being as warm as it is here. Maybe you know something I don't.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well being the time it is (he just shot it at 7:00) and needing to get permission I assume he has no choice but to wait until tomorrow. Plus, I personally hunt for food but believe it or not, it's not all about the food. It sounds like Sam eats his deer but let's say he didn't - do we really need to knock other people's reason to hunt when it is in fact legal whether someone eats the deer or not? We all need to stick together and support all legal methods and reasons to hunt so the anti-hunters don't win by pitting us against each other.

Well done Sam! Go get that big boy tomorrow and celebrate!

6. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing happened to me last year. I called the neighbor that night and he said I could only go get it with him along. He said he was busy though so we had to wait til the morning to get it. Not much you can do sometimes short of trespassing but I would not do that for a deer. In my case it was cold but the yotes beat us to it. I was able to save the straps and front shoulder though. Good luck on the recovery Sam!

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck ​BTW I knew what you meant in the first post. No need to try and read between the lines people

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guys .... seriously? What is with all the holding hands and singing kumbaya???

Sam, I love you, but that post sounded horrible .. it sounded like all you cared about was points for your team....now in your follow up, the pieces started coming together ....

If I was in the same situation, I would have spelled out all the details and I wouldn't be excited about it

As far as the anti hunters stuff, the original post would serve to only give them ammo...

9. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I know I wouldn't be so proud about a killing a buck that's gonna rot. Whatever man, enjoy your antlers.

10. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be at his place bright and early In the morning. Your deer should still be fine meat wise as long as the yotes don't get him.

11. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    I will be there at 6AM. I am hoping the coyotes are not around. I just hate that it is so warm.

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Reason I say the meat will be fine Is we've let bear go over night In 60 degree temps. Bear have 20 times the fat a deer has plus a hide that Insulates them.

Best of luck.

13. tripper20

tripper20 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i personally think that he has done all he can do for now and I would be excited if i just shot a buck too and wanting to see what it looks like and all that good stuff. I do believe in eating your kill and not killing for fun as everyone else should, but I also think you guys need to chill out a bit there's nothing he can do for now! Great job and go get him in the morning all will be well either way!

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The responses you don't like are there because of the ORIGINAL post ... just read that ... your comments would not be supported ;)

15. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where in his post did he say that he doesnt care about the meat ? Not everyone hunts for meat, not everyone who hunts eat wild game and not everyone who hunts relies on game to feed themselves or their families.

He stated that he does not have permission to access the property the animal expired on, so, what are you implying, that he should trespass in order to save the meat ? Come on !!!???!!???

He shot a buck, probably because it had a nice rack. Tomorrow, he will get that rack ! When I shoot a buck, I'm sure as heck not thinking about meat. If I want meat, I go shoot a doe. As hunters, we lose animals, it happens. Its part of hunting. Not every hunt works out perfectly.

16. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sharpeye congrats on your big buck down! We all know you exhausted every effort to try and recover him tonight. I'm hoping that your meat will make it through the night as we can all tell from your first post that you are a true meat hunter. I cant wait to see pics once you get him recovered.

17. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sam- there was nothing wrong with your original post. you stated you hated to lose the meat and that you would have to trepass to recover him tonight. From your posts in general anyone can see that you are an upright guy. Go get him in the morning and I hope that the meat is still Good. I hunt in florida and have had to let some sit over night and the meat was still good in the morning.

18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to seeing the pics!

19. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can get him early tomorrow, there should still be some good meat. Good luck!

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sam, praying you find him and you can still use the meat...thank God the landowner will at least let you look when he is with you...

Looking forward to the glory shots! :)